Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Moving KODI from one PC to another
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am running KODI on a Windows 7 HTPC, but I am not able to get digital 5.1 sound out of it. Don't know what the problem is, but can't be bothered to try any more, so I am thinking of moving the installation to another PC in a few weeks or months time. The second PC is also running Windows 7, but I know for a fact that it plays digital 5.1. However, I have spent years fine tuning my preferred KODI configuration, with skins, artwork, shortcuts, special files for unknown movies etc. Is there a way to transfer everything, or do I need to start from scratch? I successfully updated from Helix 14.2 to Krypton 17.3 on the first PC, so I assume it is possible, but I just want to make certain that I don't waste my time maintaining the present installation if everything is lost in a few weeks anyway....

Christopher
Open Windows Explorer and type %appdata% in the navigation bar. That should take you to your roaming folder, and in there you should find a Kodi folder.

Copy that to a USB stick, and then on your new machine install Kodi, then close it, go to %appdata% again and overwrite the kodi folder you'll find there with the one on your USB stick.

That will completely transfer your install from your old machine onto your new one.

You can also use this method to backup your install in case things go wrong and you need to restore back to a previous configuration set-up.
1. Copy the kodi folder from %appdata% on machine 1 to the same location on machine 2.
2. Install the same version of kodi on machine 2 as is on machine 1.
3. Start kodi on machine 2.
Thanks guys! Will try that soon then :-) Just need to solve my problem with 'importing' and playing ripped BluRay discs before I decide to make the final transition from my present disc based home theatre to the digital future.. :-)
OK, so the move worked, everything shows up like it is supposed to so far, but, the sound is stereo only! I am sure it has something to do with the settings of KODI, but where do I find them? (I am playing a file that when played on the same PC using ArcSoft outputs 5.1 digital sound, and I assume KODI is capable of that through its internal player?
Just to be clear, I did find the Audio settings, and set the soundcard to the optical ouput I use, but that didn't work. Found the issue eventually, I had to go into the audio settings when actually playing the video file and enable pass through or something similar. Not the most intuitive solution perhaps, but I hope it now sticks, and I don't need to do this whenever restart the PC after a shutdown...
On the new install on the second PC, whenever I start KODI I get the following message: Incompatible Add-Ons... This I don't get on the first PC. The one in question is called the Kodi Add-on repository. What can I do to fix this problem?
Will this copy the library info as well? Or will I need to re-scrape every file?
It will basically clone the Kodi install, including the library.
Quote:On the new install on the second PC, whenever I start KODI I get the following message: Incompatible Add-Ons... This I don't get on the first PC. The one in question is called the Kodi Add-on repository. What can I do to fix this problem?

Remove Kodi\userdata\Database\Addons db files. Should be only 1, maybe 2. Depends. I had a similar issue when migrating a Kodi folder from a Linux machine to Windows.
Thanks,

With this simple approach and a bit of tweaking I was able to move my old Core2DUo Kodi 18.9 installation to new HTPC AMD 3600X v 19.3.