Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Folder and Fanart Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks for your assistance in advance,

I have numerous home videos, often dozen of short ones made within the same day. There is no specific naming system used, unlike when you name TV series. Often it is (Date), (Location), (Name) folders. When they show up under Kodi (regardless of skin), I can manually give the folders a poster/thumbnail as there aren't that many. However in order to give each of the videos a poster/thumbnail, I would need to have dozens of images named individually after each video name. Currently they show the default video thumbnail.

Is there a simpler way of having each of these individual videos inherit the same folder poster/thumbnail. I have been reading on the forum and it has been mentioned terms like "season-all" and "season * *" but they dont seem to work.
My understanding is that you have lots of home movies, but you want them all to use the same artwork. Is this correct?

If yes, then the simplest way is as follows...
1. Move each movie into individual directories under the Source directory
2. Rename your artwork according to the directions in the Artwork Wiki page. Fanart will be "fanart.jpg", Poster will be "poster.jpg"
3. Copy the poster and fanart to each home movie directory.

Keeping all movies in the one directory forces you to use unique names for artwork and video files. Separate directories allow you to use the simple names for artwork and video files.

The wiki is currently offline. Once back online, search for "Artwork" and there will be detailed naming guides.
Thanks Karellen,

That explains it very well. I was hoping for the best of both worlds, having related videos grouped in 1 directory and using only 1poster/fanart.
So you have something like...

Christmas 2016- 6 videos
Birthday 40th- 5 videos
etc...

It can be done, but it means you will need to manually apply each artwork. The artwork won't be automatically applied when scraped.

Best of both worlds... but with some cost.

How do you name the video files? If they are simple names like Video1, Video2 etc, you could just bulk rename the artwork in a couple of clicks. If there is no logical order to the names, then it is not so easy.
Thanks again,

They have simple names , literally Vid01, Vid02 so I can just copy and paste the folder jpg and name them accordingly.
Now that the wiki is back online, I can point you to the appropriate page... http://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork

It will explain how artwork should be named so it can be automatically loaded during a Kodi scrape.