Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 4k hevc main10 issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I enabled "Enable debug logging" and sent you the kodi.log file. What other file do you want? Kodi wiki is down so sorry if I shoud know this...
@asagala

Where did you send it to? Where is it? Normally you just copy the link from the pastebin site to here.

--- Edit ---

Ignore my post. Didn't realise you were referring to your log 9 posts back.
You did provide a kodi.log but it did not show you playing the 'problem video'. Smile

So please restart Kodi, play the 60GB video file for a couple of minutes, stop the video, and then upload the kodi.log file as usual.
New debug log. Enabled debug log. Quit Kodi. Restarted Kodi. Played video for couple of minutes. Quit.

https://pastebin.com/hnYJuE78
(2017-07-30, 23:41)goodton Wrote: [ -> ]I assume that this stuttering is not happening all the time in your sample file but just during the scenes where the bitrate is higher? I have experienced same kind of issues and although also my setup (windows 10, i7-5775C, NVidia 1050Ti) is more than capable of HW-decoding and playing 4K HEVC Main10-files, 32-bit Kodi 17.x can still struggle. This is not related to HDR, perhaps some strange timing issue as CPU/GPU are not struggling at all. If High Performance -power plan is toggled on in Windows-settings, this issue mostly disappears in my case. The main thing here is that the CPU is not dynamically changing the clock speed, by default in High Performance -mode CPU is running in full speed.

Other option is to use latest 64-bit Kodi 18-nighlies, those will handle these files much better. Third option would be the 32-bit DSPlayer-build of Kodi 17.3 with latest MadVR, In that case you will also have the possibility to send the HDR-metadata to your TV using the NVidia-API. Works great with no stuttering Smile

Seems interesting. Can you point me in the right direction for the DSP PLayer build. Are you refering to this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175?
I'm no debug log expert but right off the bat I suggest you try setting your GPU desktop to 2160p instead of 1080p. Same with the Kodi GUI. I think by setting them to 1080p instead of 2160p you are forcing the Kodi software player to upscale instead of the display logic which would explain the stuttering as it fights to do a job the display would do easier and better. The file you are trying to play is crap too. Test with the Kodi wiki samples which as luck has it is down for maintenance for now.
(2017-07-31, 00:40)asagala Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-07-30, 23:41)goodton Wrote: [ -> ]I assume that this stuttering is not happening all the time in your sample file but just during the scenes where the bitrate is higher? I have experienced same kind of issues and although also my setup (windows 10, i7-5775C, NVidia 1050Ti) is more than capable of HW-decoding and playing 4K HEVC Main10-files, 32-bit Kodi 17.x can still struggle. This is not related to HDR, perhaps some strange timing issue as CPU/GPU are not struggling at all. If High Performance -power plan is toggled on in Windows-settings, this issue mostly disappears in my case. The main thing here is that the CPU is not dynamically changing the clock speed, by default in High Performance -mode CPU is running in full speed.

Other option is to use latest 64-bit Kodi 18-nighlies, those will handle these files much better. Third option would be the 32-bit DSPlayer-build of Kodi 17.3 with latest MadVR, In that case you will also have the possibility to send the HDR-metadata to your TV using the NVidia-API. Works great with no stuttering Smile

Seems interesting. Can you point me in the right direction for the DSP PLayer build. Are you refering to this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175?

Yes
(2017-07-31, 01:26)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm no debug log expert but right off the bat I suggest you try setting your GPU desktop to 2160p instead of 1080p. Same with the Kodi GUI. I think by setting them to 1080p instead of 2160p you are forcing the Kodi software player to upscale instead of the display logic which would explain the stuttering as it fights to do a job the display would do easier and better. The file you are trying to play is crap too. Test with the Kodi wiki samples which as luck has it is down for maintenance for now.

Nope. When Kodi outputs to 1080p TV upscales.
Hi Fritsch.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this but my results are different? Here is what I have learned:

Setting the windows desktop at 1080p vs 2160p has no affect on Kodi resolution output and it shouldn't. All depends exclusively what Kodi is set at. Windows desktop looks bad at 1080p. 2160p is much better.

Good means sharp, precise, clear, as intended, etc.
Bad means grainy, fuzzy, not clear, low res, jagged, etc.

Setting Kodi at 2160p:
Kodi GUI displays very good. Display reports 2160p.
1080p video displays very good. Display reports 2160p.
2160p video displays very good. Display reports 2160p.

Setting Kodi at 1080p:
Kodi GUI displays bad. Display reports 1080p.
1080p video displays bad. Display reports 1080p.

Fwiw, using Samsung C8000 (1080p display) Kodi GUI, at 1080p of course, looks good. 1080p titles look good.

"When Kodi outputs to 1080p TV upscales."
According to your statement (which makes sense) my results show Kodi upscale is better than my TV logic. I don't think Kodi upscale is better than Samsung JS8500 (4k display)? Maybe it is? Your thoughts?
I really hope that's not the case kodis GUI scaler is not too edge at all. Can you try libreelec? Just for fun?
How can I help?
(2017-07-31, 17:23)brazen1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Fritsch.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this but my results are different? Here is what I have learned:

Setting the windows desktop at 1080p vs 2160p has no affect on Kodi resolution output and it shouldn't. All depends exclusively what Kodi is set at. Windows desktop looks bad at 1080p. 2160p is much better.

Good means sharp, precise, clear, as intended, etc.
Bad means grainy, fuzzy, not clear, low res, jagged, etc.

Setting Kodi at 2160p:
Kodi GUI displays very good. Display reports 2160p.
1080p video displays very good. Display reports 2160p.

Setting Kodi at 1080p:
Kodi GUI displays bad. Display reports 1080p.
1080p video displays bad. Display reports 1080p.

Fwiw, using Samsung C8000 (1080p display) Kodi GUI, at 1080p of course, looks good. 1080p titles look good.

"When Kodi outputs to 1080p TV upscales."
According to your statement (which makes sense) my results show Kodi upscale is better than my TV logic. I don't think Kodi upscale is better than Samsung JS8500 (4k display)? Maybe it is? Your thoughts?

I set my display at 2160p. Still having issues with the video.
Use fullscreen window = enabled.
Match refresh rate = enabled.

Also, your updated log shows native 1080 still switching to 2160. Enable 2160 in GPU control panel so Kodi matches. Make sure mouse is not hovering in seek bar and you see no video controls. Play a Kodi wiki HEVC and HEVC HDR test file. Not the one you're using. (HEVC HDR is going to look grey and washed out) Send a new debug log. Maybe someone can spot something....
FYI. The links for the HDR 10-bit HEVC 24.000fps (in MP4, 'Exodus' and 'Life of Pi' samples) dont work anymore. The website is up but the download links are gone. Ting to find other source.

--------------------EDIT----

Rough day. Didnt see the obvious download link....
Downloaded LG: Color of Journey 4K HDR. It plays on my systems. Doesnt switch to HDR but it plays.

Video Info:
Resolution: 3840 x 2160
File size: 475 MB
Format: MP4
Codec: HEVC
Overall bit rate: 39.5 Mb/s
Bit depth: 10 bits
Frame rate: 60 fps
Pages: 1 2 3