Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon FireTV, Kodi 17.3, 4k and HDR, washed out colors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
apologies if this is the wrong place, tried some searching and was getting overloaded with too many conflicting answers.

Have a FIreTV, Kodi 17.3 sideloaded. Trying to play 4K HDR10 video gies the 2109p resolution and shapr picture, but the picture is badly wsshed out, dull colors.

The TV (Samsung) is showing HRD active on other souces (Neflix, both the TV app and the Fire TV App) Amazon Video, even the PS4 Pro, but nothing coming ouf of the fire for Kodi.

I've seen many comments about setting the color range on Kodi to 'full' but damme dif I can find that in the settings menus.

any assistance is appreciated.
It is not going to get any better because the FireTV2 does not support HDR so the color mapping is all wrong. It can decode 4K 10bit HEVC content but will only output as 8bit.

You will have to wait for new 4K HDR capable Amszon hardware which I'm sure is coming soon.
@wrxtasy

Well. Damn. That explains that. I went out while waiting for an answer (impatient ain't I) and snagged a Mi Box at WallyWorld and it worked perfectly right out of box.

Thanks for the info, now I have to decide if I get 3 more MI's or wait for the FireTV(3?)
Have a read through this as it may offer some insight... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
So if you have a 4k mkv with hdr but not an hdr player it wont play the movie in regular 4k?
On the FireTV2 such 10bit HDR video will decode and likely play. But as per the title of this thread the colors will look washed out. The FireTV2 can only output 8bit color.

The only device that produces a visibly acceptable 4K 10bit HDR picture output, displayed on a 10bit non HDR 4K TV are the AMLogic S905X/S905D and S912 devices running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton or OSMC Kodi Krypton in the Vero 4K's case.
Say I get the new HDR FTV2 and have an HDR capable reciever but not an HDR capable TV.  Will it at least play the mkv with regular colors?
Yes you will very likely be fine.

Regular non HDR video content will output just fine on a non HDR TV. Just do not try HDR and Kodi with a non HDR TV otherwise expect washed out colors.
There is plenty of 10bit HEVC video content about that is not HDR and that will be all good.

The 2017 4K HDR Fire TV is actually a Gen3 Fire TV aka FTV3
Can you - just for fun - disable Mediacodec Surface? With a bit of luck it takes the BT2020 render path.
(2017-11-05, 11:05)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Can you - just for fun - disable Mediacodec Surface? With a bit of luck it takes the BT2020 render path.

I tried.  Was unplayable and still color was off.
Really sucks that it won't just play regularly.  What is you by a 4k bluray and it's in Dolby Vision and your TV only supports HDR10.  This sucks.
(2017-11-06, 03:41)redlikemethodz Wrote: [ -> ]Really sucks that it won't just play regularly.  What is you by a 4k bluray and it's in Dolby Vision and your TV only supports HDR10.  This sucks.

This device is not made for such content. It was solely made you can buy and buy and buy even more amazon content ...
I got the new FireTV3 which has the Amlogic S905Z cpu but still get the washed out issue. I have an HDR capable TV arriving next week. Hope it will work then.
(2017-12-27, 05:45)redlikemethodz Wrote: [ -> ]I got the new FireTV3 which has the Amlogic S905Z cpu but still get the washed out issue. I have an HDR capable TV arriving next week. Hope it will work then.
 Return the box! Immediately.
(2017-12-27, 23:47)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-27, 05:45)redlikemethodz Wrote: [ -> ]I got the new FireTV3 which has the Amlogic S905Z cpu but still get the washed out issue. I have an HDR capable TV arriving next week. Hope it will work then.
 Return the box! Immediately. 
Any reason you say that? Was considering updating my AFTV1 to AFTV3 as I have a new 4K HDR tv... lack of ethernet is really bothering me though.
Pages: 1 2