Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help getting started live tv
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone

some information

I am running the latest version of Kodi 17.3 on a Windows 7 x64 machine where I would like to watch live tv

I also have a file/media server running Windows 7 x64 on another machine where I want too capture tv signals from roof aerial

The server has got a USB tuner REALTEK 2832U installed
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...ID=EBAY-GB

My aerial on the roof is working on a tv

I live in England so we use DVB-T & DVB-T2 .

there is only a single cable coming from the aerial no boosters splitters just direct from aerial to tuner

I'm still in the process of sorting a backend out (Thinking NEXTPVR) .

What's going wrong...

There are no channels received by NEXTPVR another program states 100% signal 10% quality but also returns no channels

It scans some frequencies and says signal found accessing channel info but nothing happens

Some questions ..

Why can't I find any channels is it because the quality is only 10% and how to fix this ?

What are some goodback ends for use with Kodi that are free and have record and epg functions and what do you all use?

What tuners are you using to connect between the aerial and computer

Am I missing something do I need a booster or something

Any help appreciated I hate using TVs and have just paid to fix the aerial

My overall goal is to allow people to watch and record live tv from the aerial through the computer network using Kodi
What media server are you running?

Can we assume you have a tuner card already installed?

If you hate using TV's, then how do you watch your content?
I use mythtv, and it is fantastic.
(2017-08-05, 23:18)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]What media server are you running?

Can we assume you have a tuner card already installed?

If you hate using TV's, then how do you watch your content?

When I said media server I ment file server where rips are stored .

At the moment I have a USB DVB-T Tuner its receiving no channels stating signal 100% quality 10%
I have tried this with blazetv software included with dongle & also next PVR
It's reported by device manager as a Realtek 2832u
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...ID=EBAY-GB

And as for hating TVs I mean the butt in freeveiw
Its confusing when you talk about dvb then ask about a media server.

For media server I use an oldish hp workstation with heaps of disks running ubuntu. It also runs mythtv, but that is coincidence.

You don't need much horsepower to simply serve files to kodi, the oldest computer in your basement will probably do it (within reason).
(2017-08-05, 23:41)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I use mythtv, and it is fantastic.

What tuner and setup are you using
(2017-08-06, 00:56)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Its confusing when you talk about dvb then ask about a media server.

For media server I use an oldish hp workstation with heaps of disks running ubuntu. It also runs mythtv, but that is coincidence.

You don't need much horsepower to simply serve files to kodi, the oldest computer in your basement will probably do it (within reason).

My file server is fine it runs perfectly and my movies work perfectly I would like to add dvb to my file server and share that also too Kodi
I am using an HDHomerun with DVB-T, and mythtv on the server. My EPG is from xmltv_grab_nz-py. There are good UK grabbers.

I guess seeing you are using nextpvr you aren't on linux though.
(2017-08-05, 15:55)Sharpy2014 Wrote: [ -> ]What's going wrong...

There are no channels received by NEXTPVR another program states 100% signal 10% quality but also returns no channels

It scans some frequencies and says signal found accessing channel info but nothing happens

Some questions ..

Why can't I find any channels is it because the quality is only 10% and how to fix this ?

What are some goodback ends for use with Kodi that are free and have record and epg functions and what do you all use?

What tuners are you using to connect between the aerial and computer

Am I missing something do I need a booster or something

Any help appreciated I hate using TVs and have just paid to fix the aerial

My overall goal is to allow people to watch and record live tv from the aerial through the computer network using Kodi

It sounds like either something is not configured quite right in NextPVR (I would head over the the NextPVR forums and ask some question there) or something is wrong with your aerial? Presumably you can get channels if you plug it directly into a TV? And thus discounting an aerial issue.

I do prefer the Linux PVR solutions over the Windows ones but that's just my personal preference I use TVheadend but MythTv is equally as good.
Yes plugging the aerial directly into a tv works channels are found picture watchable ect
Nothing when connected to the tuner

I will make a post on NEXTPVR too

What tuner are you using
(2017-08-06, 08:39)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I am using an HDHomerun with DVB-T, and mythtv on the server. My EPG is from xmltv_grab_nz-py. There are good UK grabbers.

I have been looking at HD Homerun can you schedule recordings from the Kodi interface

Do you have to pay for EPG Data
(2017-08-06, 11:24)Sharpy2014 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-08-06, 08:39)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I am using an HDHomerun with DVB-T, and mythtv on the server. My EPG is from xmltv_grab_nz-py. There are good UK grabbers.

I have been looking at HD Homerun can you schedule recordings from the Kodi interface

Do you have to pay for EPG Data
Yes, most every feature of Tvheadend is available in Kodi's interface. Whether or not you need to pay for guide data depends upon your location, your TV source, and the quality of data you want. In North America, you generally need to pay for a Schedules Direct (or Perc Data, depending upon your backend) subscription. Many EU users seem to do well with the broadcast EIT/DVB guide which is free OTA.
(2017-08-06, 11:20)Sharpy2014 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes plugging the aerial directly into a tv works channels are found picture watchable ect
Nothing when connected to the tuner

I will make a post on NEXTPVR too

What tuner are you using

I can only presume there's an issue with how NEXTPVR is configured, are you pointing it to the correct mask in your area? I've used NextPVR in the past and i seem to remember it was relatively straight forward, the guys over at the NEXTPVR forum are pretty proactive so hopefully they will be able to help especially if you send them logs etc.

i use a TBS PCIe card (TBS6905) which is a DVBs2 quad card using a legacy Sky dish i also use a usb DVBt stick via an aerial that gives me freeview channels that are not included in Freesat.