Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Forced kodi on 2nd monitor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I know this topic is very common but I have not yet find the solution. I wonder if someone got idea after a few years.

I have setup Kodi on HDMI to my TV through Onkyo Receiver which is my 2nd monitor. On System Setting, I set Kodi to run full screen mode on 2nd monitor. In case the TV/Receiver is turned off and turned on again, Kodi moves to primary monitor and stays unless I shutdown and restart Kodi. Is there a way to force Kodi stay on 2nd monitor i.e. a pseudo monitor? Or implement auto-detect algorithm if 2nd monitor comes back?
Within Displays (wiki) 5.1 HDMI pin 19 trick and the conversation is here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158432

It's all to do with HDCP High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandw...Protection understanding this will offer the reasoning behind why it's not addressed. 'Content Protection'.

As an aside [might be only my equipment]: Using duplicate mode; Keeping up an alternative device alive on my AVR Onkyo Receiver (Raspberry Pi) and flipping between, keeps the displays up where I left them.
(2017-08-12, 18:23)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Within Displays (wiki) 5.1 HDMI pin 19 trick and the conversation is here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158432

It's all to do with HDCP High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandw...Protection understanding this will offer the reasoning behind why it's not addressed. 'Content Protection'.

As an aside [might be only my equipment]: Using duplicate mode; Keeping up an alternative device alive on my AVR Onkyo Receiver (Raspberry Pi) and flipping between, keeps the displays up where I left them.

Thanks for the reply. However, I doubt it has something to do with content protection because I don't have such a problem when using VLC. I switched off Receiver and TV while VLC is playing movie, and then turn on receiver and TV after 20 minutes later, VLC is still playing movie on TV.
Not really a fix, but you could setup eventghost to detect when 2nd monitor is detected, then movie kodi over to that monitor.
(2017-08-13, 05:17)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: [ -> ]Not really a fix, but you could setup eventghost to detect when 2nd monitor is detected, then movie kodi over to that monitor.

Can do that but I am using an old PC as HTPC so I don't want too many processes running. I hope the developer can really find a solution to fix the issue permanently. I see many players are ok under this condition so I would think it is not difficult to implement.
Definitely check it out, it uses maybe 5 mb of ram and I don't think it's ever ran past 1% processing power.
(2017-08-19, 15:17)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely check it out, it uses maybe 5 mb of ram and I don't think it's ever ran past 1% processing power.

Do you have detailed guide to make it work?
IME the most reliable and simple solution for this problem is an application called Display Fusion. It's an extremely versatile program for multi-monitor setups, but there's a setting that allows you to "assign" certain applications to specified displays.

I keep three monitors attached to my PC, one of which is a 32" TV connected through a receiver. That display is pretty much dedicated to Kodi, and having set up Display Fusion to launch Kodi on (what my machine has decided) is display #2, I've never had a problem keeping Kodi on my TV.

The order in which you turn on / wake devices seems like it will, in most cases, make a difference, but I've become used to only running Kodi when my TV & receiver are on. Display Fusion is a commercial program but IIRC the cost is reasonable. I'm not sure if it's justifiable for a computer that's solely an HTPC but I find it indispensable on my 'multipurpose' desktop. If Eventghost works it might be better for your situation, but I've never delved very deeply into it myself. Good luck getting things sorted!
(2017-08-26, 04:24)jmachine Wrote: [ -> ]IME the most reliable and simple solution for this problem is an application called Display Fusion. It's an extremely versatile program for multi-monitor setups, but there's a setting that allows you to "assign" certain applications to specified displays.

I keep three monitors attached to my PC, one of which is a 32" TV connected through a receiver. That display is pretty much dedicated to Kodi, and having set up Display Fusion to launch Kodi on (what my machine has decided) is display #2, I've never had a problem keeping Kodi on my TV.

The order in which you turn on / wake devices seems like it will, in most cases, make a difference, but I've become used to only running Kodi when my TV & receiver are on. Display Fusion is a commercial program but IIRC the cost is reasonable. I'm not sure if it's justifiable for a computer that's solely an HTPC but I find it indispensable on my 'multipurpose' desktop. If Eventghost works it might be better for your situation, but I've never delved very deeply into it myself. Good luck getting things sorted!

Seems working fine so far. Thanks.