Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Install zip file with accents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone.

I have a problem installing my SKIN, indeed some of my files (image.png) have accents.
Once the installation is complete without errors, these files are renamed and consequently are no longer visible in the SKIN.
These files do not have encoding problems.
How does the integration process through the zip files so I can find my problem.

Sincerely,
Why on earth do your image files have accents? The obvious solution would be to rename the files and update your code with the new, unaccented, names.
Computer programming uses, in 99% of cases, the English language, which has no accented characters (as far as I know). All to make an application as compatible as possible on many different systems.

I'd simply stick to non-accented file names.
(2017-08-19, 02:18)Gobberwart Wrote: [ -> ]Why on earth do your image files have accents? The obvious solution would be to rename the files and update your code with the new, unaccented, names.

These images are accentuated because they correspond to the genre category of these films.
These genres are accentuated in the database and to display the posters these images must have the same name as the base
(2017-08-18, 15:29)roura97311 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone.

I have a problem installing my SKIN, indeed some of my files (image.png) have accents.
Once the installation is complete without errors, these files are renamed and consequently are no longer visible in the SKIN.
These files do not have encoding problems.
How does the integration process through the zip files so I can find my problem.

Can you show an example of the filename you zipped and how Kodi saved it? I know there as a problem one user had, where the filename used certain characters from Latin-1 encoding but the zip program he used indicated the filenames in the zip were encoded with windows code page 437 so that's how the unzip uitl in Kodi treated it.

scott s.
Hello,
Thanks for your reply attached 3 screenshots:

Capture1 before zip file compression
Capture2 my language settings under Kodi (Krypton 17.3)
Capture3 after installing the zip file

For information I use 7-zip to compress my files

I'm guessing Kodi can't properly interpret the filenames in your 7-zip zip file because of code page issues. Code page 437 uses the value 130 (decimal) for é but more modern encoding of Latin-1 or 1250 is 233 (decimal). Maybe someone with Western Europe experience can see this and provide advice. It seems like it isn't possible in the GUI for 7-zip to force UTF-8 encoding of filenames, but I think it can be done in command mode.

scott s.
Good evening Scott,
Thank you for your help. The worry came from Zip compression. 7zip uses the Code Page of my location and does not translate accented characters into UTF-8.

For those who have this worry of accents
On the command line the Switch (-mcu = on) allows to force the UTF-8 mode. In GUI add to the parameter tab (cu = on).

Thanks again Scott
(2017-08-22, 02:40)roura97311 Wrote: [ -> ]In GUI add to the parameter tab (cu = on).

That's a good catch. I did not know about this until you pointed it out. Maybe should be added to Kodi wiki for addon and skin developers.

scott s.