Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: central database and artwork
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to know if anyone here has achieved a true central configuration with Kodi? I mean all clients using one mysql db as well as shared art work. From what I've seen most Kodi users don't use central configurations. Also how is the art work handled in a shared db situation?
Centralized database via MySQL has been there for some time (although it's still considered 'experimental'). Apart from one or two glitches due to my own ignorance,it's been working fine all those years for me .

Centralised artwork was easy and worked just fine in the XBMC Eden days. After that, the Kodi team deemed it necessary to force user local caching per Kodi client. You can still try to use pathsubstitution via the advancedsettings.xml file, but results have been mixed for people.

All art references are stored in the video/music databases, and fanart/thumbs storage is monitored via a local SQLite database, Textures13.db .
Thanks for the info I plan on using mymovies to handle all the metadata. I will set each library to use local nfo files. I than plan on using MySQL to centralize the library portion.
this is how i do it.. this is my path substitute config, i also move the sources and mediasources file to a central store.

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
      <from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
      <to>smb://192.168.1.99/Disk2/kodi/thumbnails</to>
    </substitute>
    <substitute>
      <from>special://profile/playlists/</from>
      <to>smb://192.168.1.99/Disk2/kodi/playlists/</to>
    </substitute>
     <substitute>
      <from>special://profile/sources.xml</from>