Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Trouble accessing SMB share on OSX from Android TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Android TV running Kodi cannot access samba share on OSX.

I have a Mac Mini "Mini" - with a smb share "Media".

If I add to smb://MINI/Media on the TV I get.

"Broken Pipe"
"Couldn't retrieve directory information"

On my Ubuntu laptop, I can run a copy of Kodi and add exactly the same share and it works OK.

If I boot the Mac into Windows, (I've setup the share the same way there) - Android TV Kodi can see the files.

Finally, I installed Kodi on my phone, and it behaves exactly the same way as the Android TV.

Android TV Kodi->OSX [fail]
Android TV Kodi->Windows [ok]
Android Phone Kodi -> OSX [fail]
Android Phone Kodi -> OSX [ok]
Linux Kodi->OSX [ok]
Linux Kodi->Windows [ok]
Lemme have a look on my iMAC with macOS Sierra....

With adding SMB files shares using any Android Kodi I use either Zeroconf (SPMC 16.7.x) or Windows Network (SMB) - Kodi Krypton.

macOS Sierra setup:

Settings > Sharing > File Sharing > Add Shares and make sure "Everyone" is at least selected to "Read Only"

Then Options > Share Files and Folders using SMB > Tick

Windows File Sharing box:

My Username is ticked in there.

Settings > Network > Advanced > WINS > check WORKGROUP is in the Workgroup option.

I have Security & Privacy > Firewall protection OFF on the Mac.

Otherwise foolproof way in any Android Kodi Krypton > Add Network Location > SMB > Enter Mac's IP address in Server name and then OK.

Then reselect that IP Server address from the "Browse for new Share" screen again Smile
(2017-08-28, 06:09)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Lemme have a look on my iMAC with macOS Sierra....

With adding SMB files shares using any Android Kodi I use either Zeroconf (SPMC 16.7.x) or Windows Network (SMB) - Kodi Krypton.

macOS Sierra setup:

Settings > Sharing > File Sharing > Add Shares and make sure "Everyone" is at least selected to "Read Only"

Then Options > Share Files and Folders using SMB > Tick

Windows File Sharing box:

My Username is ticked in there.

Settings > Network > Advanced > WINS > check WORKGROUP is in the Workgroup option.

I have Security & Privacy > Firewall protection OFF on the Mac.

Otherwise foolproof way in any Android Kodi Krypton > Add Network Location > SMB > Enter Mac's IP address in Server name and then OK.

Then reselect that IP Server address from the "Browse for new Share" screen again Smile
There's definitely a Kodi bug here.
I'm intermittently getting 'Broken Pipe' which won't go whatever I do until the connection settings get expired (I think) and Kodi can connect again at some point.
Running Krypton 17.6 (has been experiencing that since 16.x). Started happening at some point since Mac OS Sierra (HS still experience that issue). The Android version on TV also didn't affect the issue.
What might have been that starting point is double modem setup I've used to make the WiFi better cover my apartment (and also make the uptime a lot more stable). 

Anyway any other app (like VLC) on the Android TV or another SMB-viewing app running on a different device (e.g. tablet) do work just fine with this SMB share while Kodi would keep spouting errors so I don't think there's anything wrong with my setup, but Kodi seems to be caching some connection settings it should cache and I didn't find a way to reset that from inside the app.