Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Problems playing mp4 network files (dlna) on android box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Beelink GT1 Ultimate android box (android 7.1) and latest Kodi version. Using media streaming (dlna) from Windows or Serviio on my PC, ethernet wired connection. When I add a folder in Kodi as UPnP source, it works and files play. But then hours later or next day it generally gives an error "Network Share - Couldn't connect to server". Going back and editing source and browsing to folder again and then even cancelling right there, refreshes connection somehow and it works again.

Tried rebooting all network stuff (router etc.) and everything else but didn't help. It may not be a problem with Kodi only, because 'Media Center' app preloaded on android box, also sometimes doesn't see any sources either. Seems randomly to connect or not but not corresponding to Kodi connectivity.

Second problem is when playing these mp4 files from Git2 action camera (about 30 Mbps) they don't play smoothly. Panning or tilting often causes a stutter or jerkiness. I have noticed it too playing the file on PC depending on the player but windows media player can play it completely smoothly. Any ideas, thanks...
1st problem -don't use upnp. Smb or nfs works way better.

2nd problem, need mediainfo and debug log (wiki)
Ok thanks for the ideas. I have switched to SMB and you're right it works way better. Seems to have fully solved the connectivity issues. I'd tried it awhile ago on R.Pi but was thinking upnp was the way to go. Also the kodi wiki for smb doesn't actually tell you anything useful, specifically the most obvious thing, what the hell address to use in this situation! Big Grin So for anyone wondering, it's very simply: SMB://xxx where xxx is your Computer Name from windows system properties (in Windows 10 anyway, and your PC and Kodi are on same network).

Also it seems to have largely fixed the second problem. I turned on logging then played several videos trying to get stuttering but nothing of course. Second try it started stuttering like crazy about 3 min. into video but of course had logging off. So tried some more but couldn't repeat problem. Seems like that was maybe Kodi doing something in the background, since even pressing Back to browse file list causes video to stutter similarly altho much worse. Otherwise I still see the rare stutter, so not sure if log is worth posting. The only media info it shows is H.264, 1.0 and something else useless I don't remember. Smile