Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New PVR client, where to start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My television provider (Ziggo, The Netherlands) recently launched an HTML5 based website to watch live TV, replay TV, EPG as well as a VOD section. I created a prootype add-on that allows you to play the VOD movies and series (using Kodi 18's DRM feature, with some invaluable help from peak3d) and now I would like to also open up the TV related content. I believe the way to go is to create a PVR client ... but that's just about how far I got. Documentation seems to be, erm, underwhelming, and as far as I understand the API is going through some changes. To be honest, I don't know where to start. Therefore, some questions to the good community of Kodi developers:

- Is a PVR client indeed the way to go?

- Is there a tutorial/example for a simple PVR client?

- Where can I find current documentation?

- Do I need to develop the client in C (didn't write C in 20 years) or can I use Python so I can re-use the code I wrote for the VOD add-on? I saw some Python implementation of the API, but I'm not sure if it is up to date.

- How do I setup my development environment? I use Eclipse for Java, web frontend, and now Python as well - what do Kodi PVR client developers use?

Thanks!
Argh - I guess the "Develop PVR addons with new cmake build system" thread answers most of that. I mistook it for an explanation of the cmake system. Catching up now, may leave some additional questions but I might as well ask them in that thread.
Never mind anyway. The TV provider informed me that they will not tolerate a Kodi add-on based on their service.
Why do they have to aprove the addon? If they expose some kind of service that you either pay for or is free, shouldn't you be able to "consume" it in which way you choose?

Not that it is of any use for me, I don't live in the Netherlands. Just think that Kodi has a excellent interface for this kind of things and anything that makes Kodi more attractive to more users is good.
I would love to see you continu the development.
I'd love to continue developing the add-on, but part of the license terms for using the service is that you are not allowed to create any software to reproduce the service.
A yeah, good old Ziggo.
Protect, prohibit and withold.

Yet somehow they always manage to raise subscription fees on a regular bases...
I wouldn't take that policy too serious btw; there are plenty of (commercial) backends that do exactly that, and they are still in business