Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is Kodi supposed to display thumbs from UPNP/DLNA server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a media library (home videos/pictures) shared through a UPNP/DLNA server running on QNAP NAS (QTS 4.3.3).
That DLNA server supplies NAS-generated thumbnails. Those thumbnails load fine in other clients.

Kodi can connect to the DLNA library fine, but it does not display any thumbnails.

Question: is it even supposed to be able to see DLNA server's thumbnails? Or does Kodi only use its own local thumbs and nothing else?
Found this thread where users experiences the same thing (no thumbnails over UPNP)
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=292635

But there is no reply from anyone there, so still not clear if this is something I haven't configured right, or a functionality that just isn't implemented
The UPnP protocol doesn't support thumbnails, so any UPnP server that supports 'em is using some sort of hack. I strongly suggest ditching UPnP/DLNA, which can be a security risk, and using SMB. As well as being more secure, you'll also reliably get thumbnails. I ditched UPnP years ago, once client hardware became powerful enough not to need server-based transcoding.
Alright, thanks, that answers the question.

(2017-08-31, 15:00)GreySkies Wrote: [ -> ]and using SMB

Why SMB though? I was reading that NFS is better in terms of performance.

My issue is that I have thousands of HD home videos in one folder. When connecting with Samba, even after leaving the folder open for an hour it still didn't generate all the thumbnails for majority of files
(2017-08-31, 15:43)hydraSlav Wrote: [ -> ]Why SMB though? I was reading that NFS is better in terms of performance.

My issue is that I have thousands of HD home videos in one folder. When connecting with Samba, even after leaving the folder open for an hour it still didn't generate all the thumbnails for majority of files

If you've got Windows machines on your network, you'd need to use SMB. If you only have Mac and/or Linux, you could use NFS. Although once you get into larger files (gigabit), the performance advantage of NFS starts to shrink (so I've read, but not tested).