Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Some TV specials are not recognized properly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,
I'm trying to setup special episodes for TV shows and while most work, some of them aren't recognized properly although they're on TheTVDB. I know that specials have to be in a "season 0" directory and use a specific episode number. I have issues with two shows so far:

1) The League of Gentlemen (http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=...9959&lid=7)
- Special 1 (Christmas special) is recognized, summary is correct.
- Special 2 (Live at Drury Lane) is displayed as "S02. 2" with no summary.
- Special 3 (The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse) is displayed as "S03. 3" with no summary.

2) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=...1211&lid=7)
- Special 5 (Solid State Society) is properly recognized.
- Specials 7 to 32(Tachikoma specials) are seen as episodes of the first season instead of showing in the relevant category: each episode in S1 is displayed twice, one being the episode itself, the other being the related special. The specials are named like the episode rather than "Tachikomatic Days EPxx" and they display the episode summary.

I'm not sure if this is a Kodi issue or bad filenames on my side (I don't think so, as most of the specials work and I've tried different names with no better luck).

Using Kodi 17.4+git20170822.1009-final from the Ubuntu PPA on Ubuntu 17.04.

Any idea?
What are the exact filenames for each?
TLoG:
- The League of Gentlemen - 00x01 - Christmas Special.mkv (works)
- The League of Gentlemen - 00x02 - Live at Drury Lane.mkv
- The League of Gentlemen - 00x03 - The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse.mkv

GITS SAC:
- Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex - 00x05 - Solid State Society.avi (works)
- Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex - 00x07 - Tachikomatic Days EP1.mkv
- Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex - 00x32 - Tachikomatic Days EP26.mkv

I usually name my files that way (and they seem well recognized by Kodi) but I've also tried to set the episodes numbers as S00E02 and so on with no change.
I use 'Special 00'.
Apart from the issue with the Summary not appearing, what you have occuring sounds correct.

See this image... https://ibb.co/kVhLZa

You will see two fields "Airs After Season" and "Airs Before". These two fields are what is causing your Specials episodes to show up in the normal Seasons. They are meant to place the Special episode in the correct view order location.

If you do not want the Specials to be mixed in with the normal Seasons, then you will need to remove those pictured fields from your library, as there is no chance that you will be able to convince the TVDB that they need to change their data.

Easiest way to do that is to create an nfo (wiki) file. (this page is currently being re-written. If the nfo path interests you, I can give you a link to the unfinished new page) This will also allow you to enter the missing summaries, which is a bit of an enigma.

But if you are happy with their order, but just want to add the Summaries, then the easiest way to do that is via Chorus2
"Airs before" and "airs after" seem to work as expected overall but it's not really my issues.

* In The League of Gentlemen, two specials are not recognized, the name is not set, nor the description, and they don't appear in the seasons as they should, only in the "specials" subfolder (well, at least one should be at the end of the series, the other is a live play that is independant); it seems that Kodi is unable to identify them properly and fetch the info from TheTVDB. And I don't understand why, as the episode number is correct, the title in the filename is correct...

* In GITS:SAC, apart fom one (Solid State Society), the specials don't appear in the "specials" subfolder at all, they appear only in the "season 1" folder: I have 52 episodes twice the titles. I.e., I have:
- 01. Section 9
- 01. Section 9 (which is in fact Tachikomatic Days EP1)
- 02. Testation
- 02. Testation (which is in fact Tachikomatic Days EP2)
and so on...
Kodi thinks that special 00x07 is episode 01x01, special 00x08 is episode 01x02...
Sure ok. There were no clearly defined questions in your first post, so I was pretty much guessing what you were asking. Your previous post clarifies it.

When viewing your episodes, are you in the Videos section or TV Show section of the Main Menu?
Are these two shows existing in your library or are you adding the entire show as a new addition to your library?
If existing, are these new episodes that are you adding to your library in the last few days for the first time?

What version Kodi do you have.
I go to Videos → TV. When browsing the files instead, I see them on my hard drive as expected.

Also, I've rebuilt my whole library (i.e. remove the data type on the main TV shows directory, Kodi asks if I want to delete the content from the database, I do, I then have no more TV section and I add the dir again as TV shows to restart the whole process).

It's really an identification issue with TheTVDB, the thing I don't know is if it comes from my side (something I do wrong with the file names) or Kodi. I was hoping that maybe people familiar with how Kodi works when importing data from TheTVDB might spot an obvious issue (like "that field on this episode page is supposed to be mandatory and it's empty for some reason, no surprise Kodi can't find the info").

I use Kodi 17.4+git20170822.1009-final from the Ubuntu PPA on Ubuntu 17.04.
@abelthorne,

I thought I better test one of your shows... just so I could tell you that you are doing something wrong at your end Wink

Turns out that I have the exact same results as you do.

I tested The League of Gentlemen and entered all 22 episodes. All scraped fine except for Epidosdes 2 & 3 of the Specials. They are named simply 2 and 3 with no plot, but it has the remainder of the metadata. The plot is at TVDB along with the correct title. For the life of me I cannot see what is causing the issue. It is obviously at TVDB's end, but I just can't see what is wrong.

At least you know it is nothing that you are doing. I'll have a look at the debug log, and if I find anything new, I will let you know. Otherwise you still have the option of simply copying the paste from TVDB and into the plot field of Chorus2
Thanks for checking.

I'm not sure it's really an issue on TheTVDB's end, I would rather think it's an error in the import plugin of Kodi.
Ok, I found the problem. It is definitely a problem at TVDB.

I don't know exactly why, but at a guess I would say that someone has entered a duplicate episode for those two Specials and then tried to delete it by just deleting all the data rather than reporting it and having it deleted from the database correctly.

This is the duplicate Special 2... http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid...0696&lid=7

This is the duplicate Special 3... http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid...0697&lid=7

These two erroneous entries have priority, so it will be difficult to scrape correctly until they are removed.
Sorry, but you thought wrong Wink
Oh, ok. Is there a way to report these on TheTVDB?

Also, how did you find these duplicates? I only see one version when browsing. Maybe the issue is similar with the Ghost in the Shell specials.
I have already reported it for you. It'll probably take them a couple months to get around to it unfortunately Wink

I found it by checking the debug log. Downloading the API data and then checking the episode ID being scraped against the episode ID of the episode listed on the site.

I don't know why they don't show up in the Specials listing as I don't know enough on how TVDB works.
Thanks for reporting them.

Any chance you could take a look at Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex to see why the Tachikoma specials are seen as duplicates of the season 1 episodes? Wink

I've seen on the wiki how to enable debug mode but I'm not sure what you mean by "downloading the API data".
Pages: 1 2