Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Maintenance tool for old release
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I run Kodi on an old Boxee box and therefore run an old version of Kodi, KODI 14.2 HYBRID (6th release).

I worked perfectly for a couple of months but recently I have a problem, when I jump position or fast forward video freezes but audio continous. Might have been after installing a subtitle addon. After reading up on the issue I suspect it to be a cache problem. I am trying to install a maintenance tool to play around with cache settings but can't seem to find any maintenance tool compatible with my version of Kodi.

Any thoughts? Is it in fact a cache problem or could it be something else? Any tips on tools compatible with old Kodi versions?
Kodi 14... That's already 3-4 generations of XBMC/Kodi ago, aka prehistoric by now.
Maintenance tools are not needed for Kodi.

Also, I'm not familiar with "KODI 14.2 HYBRID", but if it's some custom build there is not support here for those.

My suggestion, get a new device.
It looks to be fork created back in the days when Boxee was supported in software. OP you need to contact the fork maintainer if it still is being supported at all.

scott s.
(2017-09-02, 23:01)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Maintenance tools are not needed for Kodi.

Also, I'm not familiar with "KODI 14.2 HYBRID", but if it's some custom build there is not support here for those.

My suggestion, get a new device.

Why are maintenance tools not needed? It is not very convenient, especially on android devices to navigate through a file manager and lets say delete cached packages, or temporary files. Anything but userdata folder is hard to reach. And how about kodi forks which also need a log viewer?
Which "cached packages" and "temporary files" are you talking about? Kodi temp files are already automatically deleted. Keep in mind that we don't support Banned add-ons (wiki) or repositories which is usually where these "Maintenance tools" come from.

And we don't support forks, so what they need or don't need isn't our concern. That said there is already a log viewer add-on in our repository. https://kodi.tv/addons/browse?keyword=lo...=title+ASC , but that's not a "Maintenance tool".
Zips are cached in addons -> packages isn't that correct? Updates are cached there and stay forever! Also... various addons have function caches and many of them don't "support" clearing. How can a user do this?

Maintenance tool doesn't necessarily mean that this plugin will install other infringing addons. You can perfectly have an addon which does many other tasks. Like my "spanner" addon. I can do all these tasks easily with my set top box's remote, or on my phone with just a couple of touches.

Ok you don't support forks... it took me only half an hour to make a log viewer addon checking log files from forks.
(2017-09-03, 12:42)twilight0 Wrote: [ -> ]Zips are cached in addons -> packages isn't that correct? Updates are cached there and stay forever! Also... various addons have function caches and many of them don't "support" clearing. How can a user do this?

Maintenance tool doesn't necessarily mean that this plugin will install other infringing addons. You can perfectly have an addon which does many other tasks. Like my "spanner" addon. I can do all these tasks easily with my set top box's remote, or on my phone with just a couple of touches.

Ok you don't support forks... it took me only half an hour to make a log viewer addon checking log files from forks.
Package cache "Add-on zip cache" is self managed by folder size. When the folder reaches it's limit; it's purged.

Ideally there should be no need for a "maintenance" tool. I wouldn't trust one enough to use anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G935T
(2017-09-03, 16:50)Lunatixz Wrote: [ -> ]Package cache "Add-on zip cache" is self managed by folder size. When the folder reaches it's limit; it's purged.

Ok, just hold on a few secs there and think... I know enough cases in which a user will have his Kodi closed while noticing his free space is getting lesser and lesser because of this. Wouldn't it be great to have an addon doing this on demand? Wouldn't it be great if "all mighty Kodi" had a native tool doing it, since you 're so afraid using a 3rd party addon which does simple tasks like deleting cached packages?
Wouldn't it be great if there was a feature request section to pitch such ideas?

Oh wait...
Which is usually because that user has Banned addons (wiki) installed.

Quote:Many add-ons do not always clean up these files, and as a result some people have used various tools to "clean the cache". Because the only known add-ons that have these issues are ones that break the community rules for the official Kodi websites, we cannot help users who need help with this situation. The only advice that can really be given here is that you should avoid using add-ons that are unable to clean up after themselves. If you do need to clean up such files, there is information on the internet for doing so.

For any situation where you need to clean up leftover add-on data files, you can also manually delete various add-on files by going into the File manager and navigating to the userdata folder (which will be labeled as Profile directory) and then into the addon data folder. Find the add-on in question, and you should be able to manually delete files inside that have collected over time. Be careful to not delete anything important, such as a settings file for an add-on you still wish to use. The exact contents of these folders vary greatly between add-ons.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Caches_explained
(2017-09-03, 21:54)twilight0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-03, 16:50)Lunatixz Wrote: [ -> ]Package cache "Add-on zip cache" is self managed by folder size. When the folder reaches it's limit; it's purged.

Ok, just hold on a few secs there and think... I know enough cases in which a user will have his Kodi closed while noticing his free space is getting lesser and lesser because of this. Wouldn't it be great to have an addon doing this on demand? Wouldn't it be great if "all mighty Kodi" had a native tool doing it, since you 're so afraid using a 3rd party addon which does simple tasks like deleting cached packages?

... thinking .... pondering .... So you want to MANIPULATE a file system that is already self maintained in order to URGENTLY free up space? Why can't a user simply adjust the appropriate parameters to accomplish the same thing?
http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.x...foldersize

...afraid of 3rd party addons... Yeah damn right I am! If it wasn't vetted by team Kodi or myself personally.. I don't touch it!
Package folder size is only 200mb so hardly of any significant
Ahahaha, this is EXACTLY what Microsoft thinks of it's operating system Smile Smile
It seems like on every other thread you say "hey this is discussion about banned addons", or "we don't support this".

(2017-09-03, 21:59)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it be great if there was a feature request section to pitch such ideas?

Wouldn't it be great if you dealed new users with less hostility? How about asking for something and getting ignored. I think it happens often.

(2017-09-03, 22:09)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Which is usually because that user has Banned addons (wiki) installed.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Caches_explained

This wiki page doesn't explain anywhere about package cache. No mention was made about "banned addons". *Sigh*

(2017-09-03, 22:13)Lunatixz Wrote: [ -> ]... thinking .... pondering .... So you want to MANIPULATE a file system that is already self maintained in order to URGENTLY free up space? Why can't a user simply adjust the appropriate parameters to accomplish the same thing?
http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.x...foldersize

...afraid of 3rd party addons... Yeah damn right I am! If it wasn't vetted by team Kodi or myself personally.. I don't touch it!

You can think however you please about 3rd party addons, vetted or not. Most users don't know code and are therefore not able to "vet", its just a matter of simple trust to their favourite developer. It is still FOSS and anyone can read the code and warn others, like what happened with a very popular addon back in February.

And for fork's sake its very difficult to manipulate advancedsettings.xml unless you have, you guessed it... yet another 3rd party addon. Because yet again for things like this Kodi doesn't provide a native tool.

(2017-09-03, 22:26)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Package folder size is only 200mb so hardly of any significant

Default setting is not explained clearly. Ah yes... I have rights to manipulate wiki pages, let me do it myself this time.
Pages: 1 2