Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [ Kodi v17.4 -18] Enable subtitles set to default doesn't work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I made Enable subtitles set to default for all media. For some movies it works and for some doesn't. Also I noticed that this setting for some reason doesn't work for the same movie (Blu-Ray) which I played from the library and from the movie folder (m2ts-file)

Windows 7 x64 KODI 18 (Sep 1 2017)
Subtitles are an option that may or may not exist, depending on the media, language and how subs are handled if at all. If there's no internal subtitle (perhaps a failure of the ripping software) then perhaps an external .srt or some other format, subtitle would be available through one of the many subtitle repositories available through the subtitle add-ons. Add-on:OpenSubtitles.org (wiki) and HOW-TO:Set up subtitle services (wiki) In the case of disks, the subtitle is likely to be a stand alone language file on the disk, while in a .ts transport stream, is a container that would include whatever was included and wouldn't necessarily include a subtitle, but usually does. MKVmerge will allow you to manipulate subtitles in your videos.

Subtitles are normally kept in the same movie folder as the video, or embedded in the video. Do note that Kodi Leia is in Alpha ATM, and will have an irregular function, patience is required.
(2017-09-03, 05:29)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Subtitles are an option that may or may not exist

Well, all movies that I tested have internal subtitles.

(2017-09-03, 05:29)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Do note that Kodi Leia is in Alpha ATM, and will have an irregular function, patience is required.

Ok, will test it on Kodi v17.4
Same issue for me on V17.x.
All files have muxed subs, and enable subtitles option is always off regardless if u set it to default for all media.
A debug log while playing with subtitle would be helpful. In your first message, you didn't make clear if the subtitle didn't show with the disk or with the .TS format? If it's the disk could you list the contents of that folder? If it's the .TS file then mediainfo might tell the tale, MKVmerkge is quite useful for checking out embedded subtitles.
(2017-09-03, 16:51)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]A debug log while playing with subtitle would be helpful. In your first message, you didn't make clear if the subtitle didn't show with the disk or with the .TS format? If it's the disk could you list the contents of that folder? If it's the .TS file then mediainfo might tell the tale, MKVmerkge is quite useful for checking out embedded subtitles.

Kodi v17.4, same problem.

Movie in folder BDMV->SRTEAM:

Code:
Text #1
ID                             : 4608 (0x1200)
Menu ID                        : 1 (0x1)
Format                         : PGS
Codec ID                       : 144

Text #2
ID                             : 4609 (0x1201)
Menu ID                        : 1 (0x1)
Format                         : PGS
Codec ID                       : 144
Duration                       : 1 h 58 min
Delay relative to video        : 9 s 718 ms

PS: Movies in mkv format also have this problem
You would have to investigate the .ts files, it's not likely that in the group, a subtitle would be consistent amongst the breadth of this, and you would need to either produce an MKV file with an independent subtitle or embed what you have. If you're having issues with MKV with embed subtitles, then you will need to explore the encode and the default subtitle or utilize externals subs. I can't seem to replicate these issues and considering you've tried various iterations of Kodi, I can only suspect the root cause is with your media.

Debug log?
(2017-09-04, 01:15)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]I can only suspect the root cause is with your media.
Debug log?

Well It is strange, because Potplayer doesn't have this problem with my media. It also has always show subtitles option. And @kikinjo has the same problem...

Where I can find demo MKV videos with embed subtitles?

PS: I can enable subtitles manually for all my media, the problem is that Enable subtitles set as default for all media doesn't work

I can't confirm this, tried in 17.4 and 18 Alpha and 2 skins, I went back and forth between builds and various media trying to replicate the issue. There doesn't seem to be a Trac listing, and it functions as spec. Suggest a bit of patience and let's hope new iterations washes out some of these anomalies. The 'T' key on the keyboard will toggle subtitles. Potplayer is in all likelihood a proprietary player, and might be set-up as an External players (wiki) Here's a wiki of Samples (wiki) I'm unsure if there is embedded subtitles in the samples, but using MKVtoolnix you can add.

Quote:Windows 7 x64 KODI 18 (Sep 1 2017)

Development builds (wiki) and HOW-TO:Help with quality assurance testing (wiki) or HOW-TO:Submit a bug report (wiki) https://trac.kodi.tv/

These development builds, often called “pre-release” builds, are what will eventually lead to the final version. THESE BUILDS COULD BE UNSTABLE and are for users that do not fear bugs or possibly crashes. They are mainly used for development to help us in testing for the upcoming releases. If you want a stable HTPC then please install a stable build instead. Always backup before using a development build.

Developers like Debug logs.
(2017-09-04, 16:41)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]I can't confirm this, tried in 17.4 and 18 Alpha and 2 skins, I went back and forth between builds and various media trying to replicate the issue.

Ok. I found two samples with Subtitles:

20. 2D Forced Subtitles Sample #2 (PGS)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwxFVkl...hpLUk/view

3. MVC 3D ISO Sample #2 with 3D Subtitles (1080p/23.976)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwxFVkl...ZzaVE/view

Kodi 17.4
1. Start to play 2D Forced Subtitles Sample #2 (PGS). Pouse, M-key -> Setting -> Enable Subtitles -> set as default for all media

2. Stop playback 2D Forced Subtitles Sample #2 (PGS)

3. Start to play MVC 3D ISO Sample #2 with 3D Subtitles (1080p/23.976) and check the settings.

Subtitles are disabled for me =(

(2017-09-04, 16:41)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Suggest a bit of patience and let's hope new iterations washes out some of these anomalies.

Sure Smile
Just FYI, I've been having the same problem ever since Jarvis but never had a reply when I tried to get help on this forum.

Glad to see someone finally took notice! Smile

And it's definitely not a skin issue because I don't use the same skin as @Shomei (my Kodi uses Rapier).

I'm running my Kodi in portable mode, if that's any help btw...

Any info I can provide to get rid of this annoying problem, just ask Smile
What have you set as your preferred subtitle language (settings->player->language: subtitles)? If it's set to "original stream's language" only subtitle streams that are flagged as default are shown. Since MVC 3D ISO Sample #2 with 3D Subtitles (1080p/23.976)  does not have a default subtitle stream, subs are turned off. If you set it to English your example from above should work.
(2017-11-17, 15:10)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]What have you set as your preferred subtitle language (settings->player->language: subtitles)? If it's set to "original stream's language" only subtitle streams that are flagged as default are shown. Since MVC 3D ISO Sample #2 with 3D Subtitles (1080p/23.976)  does not have a default subtitle stream, subs are turned off. If you set it to English your example from above should work.

preferred subtitle language=English solved the problem for MVC 3D ISO Sample #2 video!

But some videos have unknown (for kodi) subtitles. And for them subtitles are disabled by default.
E.g. blu-ray .m2ts files are marked as unknown,  but if you play the same movie from library, kodi can recognize them.
This is still an issue for me, some releases will tag their subtitle tracks as being either in the written language of the subtitle (English) or the language it's subtitling (Japanese) so simply setting English doesn't work 100% of the time.

Kodi should just be able to respect the [default] flag on muxed subtitles, and it doesn't. 17.6 Jarvis.
Tagging a English subtitle track as Japanese because that’s the language it translates is plain wrong and extremely stupid, but if this is anime then that doesn’t suprise me as anime release groups are well known for doing stupid things.
Pages: 1 2