Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: erasing an ANDROID BOX question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Below is the history of me learning here how to correctly post here and use an android box that I am seeking to erase;

I posted my first post some time ago and was told my tv box was not allowed to receive info from here so, it has been sitting on the shelf since then. I was told that the box should not have had any "add-ons" in it...HOW THE HELL WAS I TO KNOW SINCE I AM NEW TO THIS!?

So, earlier yesterday, I asked a question regarding that unused box (I referred to it as a "Kodi box" for brevity) as to how to back up the box in it's entirety before "erasing(?) it and so I don't brick it or screw it up beyond repair.

I was directed to 1 or 2 programs and am still digesting the info of those products (remember, I don''t know squat about android anything). One response seemed to not like the idea of me backing up the entire box and only seem to prefer me to back up Kodi by itself but, relented and gave me a suggested program to do a full image back up.

Then, I get another response from a mod or admin(?) that referred to my very first ever post I (remember, I don''t know squat about android anything) made regarding this or any "loaded" box and said (as if having a panic attack); "Is this the same"fully loaded" box you asked about before? If so then it's unsupported here.Please provide a debug log (wiki) to prove it's clean before we continue here."

Further down that post, I received a replay that said; "First, there is NO such thing as a "Kodi box". (OF WHICH I AM AWARE BUT, ONLY CALLED IT THAT FOR BREVITY!)
Kodi does not make or endorse any boxes,
I AM AWARE OF THAT ALSO.
what you have is a Android device that happens to run Kodi,
I AM AWARE OF THAT ALSO.
most likely one that has Banned add-ons (wiki) preinstalled.
WE WENT THROUGH THAT BEFORE AND I WAS ADVISED AND AS I STATED, UNIT HAS BEEN SITTING ON THE SHELF SINCE THEN AND I WAS ATTEMPTING TO BACK IT UP BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO SEE INFO ON ERASING. SEEMS THAT THIS FORUM IS FOR THAT PURPOSE UNLESS I AM WRONG.
Second, you have already admitted to having a "loaded" box, which you will get NO support here for other than wiping that box so that you have a clean Kodi install.
SEE ABOVE STATEMENTS!

Third, this is not a general Android forum, so asking how to make a system backup is beyond the scope of Kodi and should be asked somewhere else that deals with general Android questions.
WHAT PART OF I AM NEW IS BEING MISUNDERSTOOD!? I POSTED IN THE INCORRECT SECTION! WHAT, YOU NEVER SAW ANYONE POST IN THE INCORRECT SECTION? THERE ARE MANY EXAMPLES HERE.

This thread is now closed.
YES, BY THE TIME I GOT BACK TO STRAIGHTEN YOU OUT ON THIS, YOU LOCKED THE THREAD. I GUESS THAT IS HOW "THOSE IN PERCEIVED POWER" WIN THEIR ARGUMENTS/DISCUSSIONS - SO SAD. I WAS NOT GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO EXPAND ON MY INITIAL QUESTION TO SEEK ASSISTANCE. I ATTEMPTED TO CONTACT THE ADMIN/MOD BY PM AND RECEIVED A MESSAGE THAT I DID NOT HAVE PERMISSION OR WAS NOT ALLOWED.

If you wish to get help wiping your preinstalled Kodi build and installing a clean install of Kodi then you are welcome to start a new thread asking for help doing so. WHAT'S THE SENSE NOW? - YOU WHO LOCKED THE THREAD WILL ALWAYS IN THE FUTURE BELIEVE THAT ANY QUESTION I WILL ASK WILL BE ABOUT THIS BOX WHICH I HAD HOPED TO STRAIGHTEN OUT! DO I THINK THIS THREAD WILL BE ALTERED, MODIFIED, LOCKED, DISAPPEAR ALTOGETHER, AND I GET BANNED FOR THE TRUTH?---YEP.

So, i will ask what and where are the procedures to erase box?
Go to Android Settings/Apps/Kodi and Clear Data. That should do it.

However, backing up and restoring Kodi will leave you in the same position you are in now, your Kodi install will again be full of banned addons. So you are advised not to restore your old Kodi folder as this would leave you in back to square one!

With regards your question about backing the whole thing up, what people were trying to say to you was that it's not a question for the Kodi forum, as it's outside the scope of Kodi because you are backing up an entire operating system, in which case your question would be better directed at an actual Android forum, and not a forum for an Android app.

With regards all the ranting, bold text and caps... people are only trying to advise you, there's no need for the aggressive tone. Posting like this will generally just cause people to ignore your posts, remember people are giving up their free time to help you, nobody owes you anything Smile
Even better, uninstall Kodi. Let's face it, most of the people DO HAVE these chinese boxes, and THEY DO COME PRELOADED. But the 1st thing I do is UNINSTALL everything, I even install new launcher and disable all of the extras they bundle (like Chromecast and other legal apps), then install clean Kodi.
(2017-09-03, 22:41)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]Go to Android/Apps/Kodi and Clear Data. That should do it. You can then re-install by reading this link http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Android

However, backing up and restoring Kodi will leave you in the same position you are in now, your Kodi install will again be full of banned addons. So you are advised not to restore your old Kodi folder as this would leave you in back to square one!

With regards your question about backing the whole thing up, what people were trying to say to you was that it's not a question for the Kodi forum, as it's outside the scope of Kodi as you are backing up and entire operating system, in which case your question would be better directed at an actual Android forum, and not a forum for an Android app.

With regards all the ranting, bold text and caps... people are only trying to advise you, there's no need for the aggressive tone. Posting like this will generally just cause people to ignore your posts, remember people are giving up their free time to help you, nobody owes you anything Smile

1) With regard to the "caps", I use caps to segregate portions of the text/conversations and only for that purpose.

2) with regard to your statement;
"However, backing up and restoring Kodi will leave you in the same position you are in now, your Kodi install will again be full of banned addons. So you are advised not to restore your old Kodi folder as this would leave you in back to square one!".....I

As stated before, I did not/do not want to screw up the box if i do something incorrectly and doing a full back up before I start wiping it seems prudent enough!.

3) no rants, just truth. trying to get straightened out here and do not want to destroy the box. As i said before, I am new to this forum and new to android anythiong.

Thanks for the reply.
(2017-09-03, 22:47)DaLanik Wrote: [ -> ]Even better, uninstall Kodi. Let's face it, most of the people DO HAVE these chinese boxes, and THEY DO COME PRELOADED. But the 1st thing I do is UNINSTALL everything, I even install new launcher and disable all of the extras they bundle (like Chromecast and other legal apps), then install clean Kodi.

I appreciate the reply and all I attempted to do is get information to make the box "acceptable" but, i know of nobody whom would not back up their info before doing something this intense as erasing a box. I am completely new to all this and it seems that a previous post reeked of "the powers that be" expecting me to have more knowledge than I already have in android and I was clear, that I didn't.
When you sign up here you are presented with the forum rules (wiki) which you are asked to acknowledge and accept.

Had you read them you would know our piracy policy (wiki) and the banned addons (wiki) for which we offer no support.

The fact that you did not bother to read them and subsequently violated those files as a result due to what is on your device is therefore entirely your fault, we are not to blame for your ignorance.

You have now had this fact and those rules pointed out twice, and your response is to rant rather than to acknowledge them. As noted above, this is more the way to get banned from here than to receive support. Please consider your next move carefully.

I would also highlight your initial response

(2017-01-13, 20:33)VIDEOGHOST Wrote: [ -> ]What did i do?...I did some extensive reading which leaves me more frustrated. The box purchased came "loaded" and i don't want to "start from scratch" here.

That is clear that you had a fully loaded box and didn't want to clean it up. That thread was neither closed nor binned, and is still in the video support section. You only later accept the need to, when you were told how to do it.

Your second thread was closed both as it is a repeat of the first one without evidence of any clean up, and the requested evidence was not provided and you are not asking about how to clean it.
(2017-09-03, 22:52)VIDEOGHOST Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-03, 22:47)DaLanik Wrote: [ -> ]Even better, uninstall Kodi. Let's face it, most of the people DO HAVE these chinese boxes, and THEY DO COME PRELOADED. But the 1st thing I do is UNINSTALL everything, I even install new launcher and disable all of the extras they bundle (like Chromecast and other legal apps), then install clean Kodi.

I appreciate the reply and all I attempted to do is get information to make the box "acceptable" but, i know of nobody whom would not back up their info before doing something this intense as erasing a box. I am completely new to all this and it seems that a previous post reeked of "the powers that be" expecting me to have more knowledge than I already have in android and I was clear, that I didn't.
You don't have to erase the box. Start in small steps. Erase only Kodi. You won't mess anything by uninstalling an app. it's just an app. People install and uninstall them by millions every day. And all those pirate add-ons are crap anyway 99% of them don't ebb even work.

Sent from my S8+
Android Settings > Apps > Downloaded Apps > Kodi > Uninstall

Then simply install a Legit clean Kodi from the Playstore OR

If that is a problem, install the alternate Aptoide App store .apk and download and install Kodi from within it

https://m.aptoide.com/installer-aptoide-tv?lang=en

A File explorer like X-Plore can be used to install Android Apps (.apk's) - like the Aptoide Store from a USB stick.