Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Update Library Based on HDD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I have an uncle who bought a Wetek Hub (just 1 usb slot) but he has several drives. He's a bit old and doesn't want to update and clean the library every time he switches usb - even though I've already taught him how to. Can you imagine that? Hehe. Big Grin

A USB hub is also not applicable since he has a lot of hdds.

Is there an easy way to automate this? I know there's an option to update every time you boot up kodi, but that won't delete non-existent links. So a 'clean library' may also be in order.

Lastly, is there an easier way instead of rebuilding the library every time he switches hdd? With the advances in Kodi now, it may already be available but I'm not able to find it here. Like the library being stored in the corresponding hdd instead?

Thank you!
Several HDDs with 1 single database makes things difficult.
A profile and separate database per HDD would solve some problems, but will create new ones too.

The least invasive setup is to not scan/scrape the HDDs, and just play the videos as-is IMO.
thanks, Klojum. Sad
Previously I was using the WDTV box with two of my hard disks and the library database of each hdd used to be stored on the respective hard disks.

Now I have moved over to Kodi and the library of both hdds is stored on the kodi box's internal storage. It would be convenient if there is a way to move these libraries (database) to their respective hard disks and map them in such a way that kodi find the library on the connected hdd for showing and playing the media. This way we can connect and disconnect any number of hard disks without affecting the performance of Kodi.
No, it does not work that way. You cannot split databases to respective hard drives.
You could use a different skin that allows you to create new menu entries such as Aeon Nox, Amber, Rapier, Transparency! and I'm sure there are others.

Then add/scan in each HDD separately via Videos ---> Add Videos.
Name each drive or folder something different.
Once the new drive or folder is shown in the Videos area, right-click on it or bring up the context menu and select "Add to Favorites".
Do this for each drive or folder you want to show as a separate menu item (or sub-menu item).

For Transparency! (the other skins are similar)
Go to Settings ---> Interface ---> Skin ---> Configure Skin ---> Menu ---> Custom 1, 2 or 3 ---> Enable the menu item by clicking the dot, then select Favorite and a list of your Favorites will be displayed.
Select your item from the list, name or rename it and that's about it.

To update everything when Kodi starts up, select Settings ---> Media ---> Update libraries on startup.

You can also add it as a sub-menu entry under one of the existing menu entries and you can add more items as sub-menu entries under the Menu entry you just created. Transparency! only allows 3 new menu items, but you can add many more as sub-menu entries. Some of the other skins allow more.

Maybe I'm way off-base on what you are looking to do, but this works for me as I like to keep certain genres in their own folders on my hard drives with separate menu items to access them (Movies, Documentary, Concerts, and etc.). If I don't do this and scan them all in under Movies nothing is missing but everything is mixed together, which I don't like.
(2017-10-30, 15:44)SpudSong Wrote: [ -> ]You could use a different skin that allows you to create new menu entries such as Aeon Nox, Amber, Rapier, Transparency! and I'm sure there are others.

Then add/scan in each HDD separately via Videos ---> Add Videos.
Name each drive or folder something different.
Once the new drive or folder is shown in the Videos area, right-click on it or bring up the context menu and select "Add to Favorites".
Do this for each drive or folder you want to show as a separate menu item (or sub-menu item).

For Transparency! (the other skins are similar)
Go to Settings ---> Interface ---> Skin ---> Configure Skin ---> Menu ---> Custom 1, 2 or 3 ---> Enable the menu item by clicking the dot, then select Favorite and a list of your Favorites will be displayed.
Select your item from the list, name or rename it and that's about it.

To update everything when Kodi starts up, select Settings ---> Media ---> Update libraries on startup.

You can also add it as a sub-menu entry under one of the existing menu entries and you can add more items as sub-menu entries under the Menu entry you just created. Transparency! only allows 3 new menu items, but you can add many more as sub-menu entries. Some of the other skins allow more.

Maybe I'm way off-base on what you are looking to do, but this works for me as I like to keep certain genres in their own folders on my hard drives with separate menu items to access them (Movies, Documentary, Concerts, and etc.). If I don't do this and scan them all in under Movies nothing is missing but everything is mixed together, which I don't like.

That's a good idea! Thanks, SpudSong! I will definitely try this Big Grin