Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best HW for 4K HDR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello,

I'm currently using Kodi running on EL on ODROID C2 to play my blu rays through NAS and happy with it.

I'm getting a new projector with 4K HDR and needs to buy new box to play 4K HDR mainly through UHD blu rays through NAS once we get the ability to rip these to NAS.

In the meantime I will try 4K HDR streaming to see if it will be acceptable comparable to UHD discs, but I might be disappointed if difference is big similar to blu ray disc and HD streaming, so it is not a high priority, and priority is currently for best 4K HDR streaming from NAS.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955F
Thanks bry for the quick response

Shield might be the best device currently for 4K HDR streaming, but I would be more interested in another device if it has better 4K HDR playback from NAS and less capabilities in streaming.

Also can shield play back 4K HDR 24p files with Atmos through NAS with no issues ?

Sent from my SM-G955F
Online HDR 4K streaming buy a NVIDIA Shield.

Otherwise..

AMLogic S912, with @kszaq's just fixed today - GPU video driver LE image, for no GUI interface tearing. Using LibreELEC Kodi Krypton that is 10bit and 4K HDR capable. No Android 1080p / 4K auto Resolution switching issues either. Or poor quality picture upscaling Wink

Combine that with the Wireless Xiaomi Mi Box remote control mod, and store all Kodi data on internal fast eMMC memory and you have one really fast, snappy LibreELEC Kodi box. Smile

I'm currently testing on a MINIX U9 and its the fastest LE device I've ever used !
(2017-09-13, 15:10)ramiawad Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks bry for the quick response

Shield might be the best device currently for 4K HDR streaming, but I would be more interested in another device if it has better 4K HDR playback from NAS and less capabilities in streaming.

Also can shield play back 4K HDR 24p files with Atmos through NAS with no issues ?

Sent from my SM-G955F (typie typie)

Shield has the same 4K capabilities whether it's streaming from a service or a NAS. But I wouldn't get my hopes up of being able to rip 4K discs, at least no time soon.

Yes, it's capable of 4K HDR 24p and pass-through of all HD audio formats, including Atmos and DTS:X.
(2017-09-13, 15:48)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Online HDR 4K streaming buy a NVIDIA Shield.

Otherwise..

AMLogic S912, with @kszaq's just fixed today - GPU video driver LE image, for no GUI interface tearing. Using LibreELEC Kodi Krypton that is 10bit and 4K HDR capable. No Android 1080p / 4K auto Resolution switching issues either. Or poor quality picture upscaling Wink

Combine that with the Wireless Xiaomi Mi Box remote control mod, and store all Kodi data on internal fast eMMC memory and you have one really fast, snappy LibreELEC Kodi box. Smile

I'm currently testing on a MINIX U9 and its the fastest LE device I've ever used !

So... does the S912 chipset have GPU acceleration in LE builds from now on?
S912's always had working video Hardware acceleration, exactly the same as the S905(x)'s. Hardware acceleration is done by the VPU coprocessor.

It was the GPU video drivers that were causing various issues like Kodi Graphic user interface tearing. This has now been fixed by @kszaq

EDIT: there is a bug in 4K video output, that I have seen before. I suspect it will be fixed shortly...
So still no other device that could do proper 24p 4K HDR10 with Atmos pass through from NAS other than Shield ?

Sent from my SM-G955F
(2017-09-13, 16:58)ramiawad Wrote: [ -> ]So still no other device that could do proper 24p 4K HDR10 with Atmos pass through from NAS other than Shield ?

Sure. A PC with an HDR capable GPU.
(2017-09-13, 16:58)ramiawad Wrote: [ -> ]So still no other device that could do proper 24p 4K HDR10 with Atmos pass through from NAS other than Shield ?

MINIX U9
Zidoo X9S
Himedia Q5/10
Wrx it's the minix u9-h correct?

How is the mecool ki pro on 4K playback?
(2017-09-13, 17:51)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]

MINIX U9
Zidoo X9S
Himedia Q5/10
Thanks for the suggestions ...

I've checked the prices and they are all over 140$, so no big difference than Shield, is there advantages for these alternatives over Shield for 4K HDR ? Are there other alternatives below 100$ ?

Sent from my SM-G955F
(2017-09-13, 16:04)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-13, 15:10)ramiawad Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks bry for the quick response

Shield has the same 4K capabilities whether it's streaming from a service or a NAS. But I wouldn't get my hopes up of being able to rip 4K discs, at least no time soon.

Yes, it's capable of 4K HDR 24p and pass-through of all HD audio formats, including Atmos and DTS:X.
Shield can play 24p 4K HDR through Kodi or other player ? Does Kodi currently supports this ?

Sent from my SM-G955F
Yes, but as you already know you can't rip 4K BD discs, so with the exception of test videos and pirated stuff, which isn't true 1:1 4K HDR, there's really nothing to play other than from streaming sites.

If you're interested in playing 4K HDR movies and doing it legally, then you need something that will allow you to stream from those sites. As well as something that will play 1080p videos in Kodi.

Yes, the Shield has some limitations (some of which may be cleared up in the next update), but it also offers a lot, or I wouldn't use one as my daily driver. It's not like I don't have other options laying around. Wink It is well supported, it gets updates at least twice a year, and with the exception of Googles own devices, is/will be the first to get the next Android version.

But if you're not in a hurry, you could always wait and see what comes about with the RUMORED "Google backed" Android TV device which may get announced in Oct.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/08...um=twitter
(2017-09-13, 19:29)HyceL Wrote: [ -> ]Wrx it's the minix u9-h correct?

How is the mecool ki pro on 4K playback?
Yes the MINIX U9 is correct for 24p 4K HDR10 in both Android and LibreELEC. MINIX have been doing regular bug busting Android Firmware updates.

All the AMLogic S912's now have fixed GPU video drivers for LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. They all do everything automatically when using LibreELEC.

AML S905X / S912 / S905D:
Supports Auto refresh switching and auto resolution switching 24p 1080p / 4K HDR10 HEVC & V9P Profile 2 output.
AML S9xx LibreELEC can do all HD Audio passthrough inc DTS:X and Dolby Atmos

@kszaq has just posted his LE 8.1.7 update HERE

We even got proper mapping for the Xiaomi BT remote added Smile

Streaming from 4K HDR10 Android Apps, as @Tinwarble mentioned, the NVIDIA Shield is the only game in town at the moment.
The Apple TV 4K will add some 4K HDR10 (Dolbyvision as well) Apps along with new 4K HDR10 Amazon FireTV hardware later in the year.
Pages: 1 2 3 4