Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Faulty box or did I get scammed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just bought and recieved an X96 box with an s905X arm chip in it. I planned on using it with my LG 4K TV and to stream videos from my NAS.

I got the box yesterday and I am not quite sure if the box is defective or if I got ripped off.
I watched alot of reviews of this box and everyone is able to flawlessly play back 4K content and from the videos of the box I noticed small things like for instance the boot sequence. On my box the boot sequence i lagging which is wasn't doing on the reviews that I watched. https://youtu.be/liqFWbeyMPs

Secondly I noticed small pauses (like a fraction of a second) when playing 1080p videos but when I play the same file via my LG TV's internal file browser I get no lag/pauses etc.

I then tried to play a 35gb 4K movie and it would barely play at all. https://youtu.be/FPPf1CREUMc

The same movie playing on my LG TV via the TV filebrowser works perfect. https://youtu.be/2P4JXsWoa3M

Could this be a defective box? Or a defective/wrong HDMI cable? I bought a HDMI 2.1 cable just to be on the safe side. I tried changing the HDMI cable and I still have issues.

Or could this be a scam and someone gutted the box and put an older unit inside it. I am not sure what to look for so I took a few pictures of the box and hardware info using various apps. https://imgur.com/a/3FC4Z

I would love to know my options here. I was actually planning to install libreelec on the box regardless, but if the box is defective or i've been scammed there seems no point in trying to do that.

Appriciate any help anyone can offer me here. :-)
I am sorry you are having problems with your newly purchased device but frankly I do not see any connection to Kodi and this is a forum for Kodi support.
My only advice would be to reach out to the seller, seek help on the manufacturer's site.
Good luck.
My apologies.

I was told to try to post here in hopes that someone could tell me if this is the sort of performance I could expect from a S905X.

I will try to find another place to look for answers.
Sorry but AMLogic Android Firmware on cheap S905X devices is usually rubbish and that can lead to all sorts of playback problems - we cannot help with such Firmware issues.

Kodi performance will be transformed if you grab a Samsung EVO(+) or Sandisk Class 10 U1 micro SDHC and do some DIY by heading over to the:

libreelec-8-2-for-s905-s905x

All LibreELEC support on the actually LibreELEC forums please.
Ok could someone help me with what I am doing wrong? I was told this was the wrong forum and then I posted this thread in hardware. I tried to delete this post but I dont have the right permissions to do so and in the meantime I got my other post in hardware removed because it was a doublepost?

How can I remove this post so I can repost it in hardware instead?
(2017-09-18, 13:45)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry but AMLogic Android Firmware on cheap S905X devices is usually rubbish and that can lead to all sorts of playback problems - we cannot help with such Firmware issues.

Kodi performance will be transformed if you grab a Samsung EVO(+) or Sandisk Class 10 U1 micro SDHC and do some DIY by heading over to the:

libreelec-8-2-for-s905-s905x

All LibreELEC support on the actually LibreELEC forums please.

Thank you for replying. :-)

It was my intention to install libreELEC on it, I was just curious as to whether or not the performance on that chip was what to be expected. :-)
(2017-09-18, 13:47)LurifaxDK Wrote: [ -> ]Ok could someone help me with what I am doing wrong? I was told this was the wrong forum and then I posted this thread in hardware. I tried to delete this post but I dont have the right permissions to do so and in the meantime I got my other post in hardware removed because it was a doublepost?

Wrong forum as in you should try an Android specific forum or contact your vendor or manufacturer as previously advised. This forum (by that we mean the entire site) is for Kodi specific support. You seem to be having hardware and / or OS level specific issues which is beyond the scope of this forum.

If you are having Kodi related issues then by all means produce a Debug log (wiki) and provide a link to it and somebody may be able to deduce the problem.
(2017-09-18, 14:02)Dangelus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-18, 13:47)LurifaxDK Wrote: [ -> ]Ok could someone help me with what I am doing wrong? I was told this was the wrong forum and then I posted this thread in hardware. I tried to delete this post but I dont have the right permissions to do so and in the meantime I got my other post in hardware removed because it was a doublepost?

Wrong forum as in you should try an Android specific forum or contact your vendor or manufacturer as previously advised. This forum (by that we mean the entire site) is for Kodi specific support. You seem to be having hardware and / or OS level specific issues which is beyond the scope of this forum.

If you are having Kodi related issues then by all means produce a Debug log (wiki) and provide a link to it and somebody may be able to deduce the problem.

My apologies.

I thought "Hardware" meant that I could ask questions about hardware that ran Kodi.

Thank you once again wrxtasy.
(2017-09-18, 14:05)LurifaxDK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-18, 14:02)Dangelus Wrote: [ -> ]

My apologies.

I thought "Hardware" meant that I could ask questions about hardware that ran Kodi.

Thank you once again wrxtasy.

To an extent you can if it relates directly to Kodi operationally but from your video clips my instinct would be to return that box. The symptoms may go away if you go down the flashing route but this may void your warranty and still leave you with a defective box.
As always seek help from the Freaktab website for decent bug busted Android device Firmware.

Trying to run demanding Kodi files and 4K high bitrate video on dirt cheap Android boxes is a recipe for disaster and disappointment.
Nothing is optimised and you will find roadblocks in your way.
Thank you all for valid suggestions.

Will probably return the box and get build that media center that I have been putting off for so long. :-)
In reality a Ethernet connected AML S905X running LibreELEC will pretty much handle anything you throw at it, inc 4K Bitrates in excess of UHD Blurays. Plus HDR.
(2017-09-18, 19:12)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]In reality a Ethernet connected AML S905X running LibreELEC will pretty much handle anything you throw at it, inc 4K Bitrates in excess of UHD Blurays. Plus HDR.

Hmm thats really wierd that I get such crappy playback. It must be a defective unit then. I opened a dispute with the seller, but it's on ebay so I'm probably not going to get anything out of that.

But you say that installing libreelec on it should improve perfomance?

Edit: Sorry misread it. The android installation is what is causing the issue you say? So the box and chip could be perfectly fine except the android installation is actually hindering it.
(2017-09-18, 19:48)LurifaxDK Wrote: [ -> ]But you say that installing libreelec on it should improve perfomance?

YES !

Quote:Edit: Sorry misread it. The android installation is what is causing the issue you say? So the box and chip could be perfectly fine except the android installation is actually hindering it.
That has been your problem all along Android ! - it simply is not bug busted Android Firmware you are using - that is the exact issue.
Android Kodi is not optimised for AMLogic either - LibreELEC Kodi is.
(2017-09-18, 20:40)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-18, 19:48)LurifaxDK Wrote: [ -> ]But you say that installing libreelec on it should improve perfomance?

YES !

Quote:Edit: Sorry misread it. The android installation is what is causing the issue you say? So the box and chip could be perfectly fine except the android installation is actually hindering it.
That has been your problem all along Android ! - it simply is not bug busted Android Firmware you are using - that is the exact issue.
Android Kodi is not optimised for AMLogic either - LibreELEC Kodi is.

Thank you very much. English is not my native language so sometimes I get confused. :-)
Pages: 1 2