Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: The Dreaded "Channel Not Available"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SIck of the frequent Kodi crashes on our Myth Backend server/ Kodi frontend combo I have re-built it around Ubuntu 17.04, Mythtv 0.28 backend, and the latest stable kodi krypton and kodi-pvr-mythtv installed from the stable ppa:. The kodi-pvr-mythtv is reporting reporting version 4.15.3

There are three other frontend clients around our house. Using the mythtv frontend, all are able to play live tv etc from the backend. So we can assume the mythtv backend is working and can be accessed across the LAN.

However, all kodi-pvr-mythtv clients, including the one on the mythtv backend PC, report "Channel Unavailable" on live tv.

NB: I can initiate recording in Kodi, and the recording can be viewed there as well.

The extended log from a session of channel switching is here.

PS: The log shows the local host address (127.0.0.1). Please note I get the same issue using the 192.168.n.n series LAN address.

I have exhausted my increasingly unfriendly friend Google on this and have gone back to the mythtv frontend, but looking forward to fix.

Cheers.
The issue, which I don't entirely understand, was not kodi-pvr-mythtv related;

One of the threads elsewhere that I came across hinted at issues with mythbackend starting prior to all network services being available. I made some changes to ensure that the backend would not start until the network was settled. At that point I was able to play livetv in kodi.

But it leaves me confused why the mythtv-frontends worked across the network but kodi-pvr-mythtv did not.
(2017-09-27, 02:27)waddacrock Wrote: [ -> ]The issue, which I don't entirely understand, was not kodi-pvr-mythtv related;

One of the threads elsewhere that I came across hinted at issues with mythbackend starting prior to all network services being available. I made some changes to ensure that the backend would not start until the network was settled. At that point I was able to play livetv in kodi.
 Would you care to share with us how you changed that, so other who might have this problem can fix it easily?
(2017-12-02, 23:48)Yippee38 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-27, 02:27)waddacrock Wrote: [ -> ] 
 Would you care to share with us how you changed that, so other who might have this problem can fix it easily? 
A web search highlights the issue many times over.

Also the mythtv wiki
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_myth...nitialized
Thanks.
I tried this on latest Fedora. Doesn't seem to help. The service you enable has changed its name, so the first part of the wiki on this is confusing. But I think I managed to go through it and copy the file and up the delay to 60 seconds, it still doesn't work.

The other thing is, if it were that network wasn't available at boot, then surely restarting the Mythtv backend would fix it, as it's definetly available when I SSH in and restart the backend? Restarting things doesn't seem to help either.
Have you increase the "tuning delay" in the settings of the addon ?
Probably the default value (5 sec) isn't long enougth for your system.
Hmm, I found this thread which covers all these delay settings ...

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229077

Some are in the app settings, some are in the PVR settings. I've bumped everything up as far as it will go. It still shows Channel Unavailable, but straight after the recording shows up, and I can play it.