Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 3D distortion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I realized something strange. I was watching a SBS 3D file and the texts were wavy (almost like moire effect). I turned off the 3D in kodi and while the texts in video were mostly clear again (but not completely clear). Also choosing view in 2D option fixes the text. (Of course then it is only 2D).

However best result is when the movie is set to run at 4K resolution, which makes me think at 1080p there is some strangeness. I expected exactly same quality between 4K and 1080P since file was 1080P. You may have this problem, it is easy to miss and I had to test carefuly to find out this issue.

One way would be running the video directly on smarttv using DLNA and compare with KODI 3D. I also tested it with SBS wideo playing (TV set to non-3d) and check one half of the image carefully. Then I set KODI to 3D mode and checked same half again and tried to make mental comparison.

Test system was using KODI 17.4 on Ubuntu 16.04 with AMD APU using open source drive and connected to a 4K display. The video was in 1080p. I also tested this on a FHD tablet with same video and it had excellent quality. I will try to make comparison photos and upload when I have time.

I thought the 3D option only made menus 3D but it seem to change the video. How is that possible? What do you reckon is a solution? Do you have this issue?

Thanks!
I dont know exactly what happened but it works perfectly now. I got an upgrade to ffmpeg I think, maybe that did something. Not really sure... But it works good in any resolution as expected now...
and now I have video distortion again... I am lost...
So, I took pictures (all from left frame of SBS) from the screen to show what is happening. As you can see, when the KODI interface is set to 3D, it causes strange waves in the picture. What does KODI do to image? Any ideas?
BTW I also tried to set TV to work on 'Computer Mode' to make sure that TV does not do post processing on the picture.

DLNA (unknown resolution set on TV, probably defaults to 4K)

4K with Kodi interface 3D ON

1080P with Kodi interface 3D ON

1080P with Kodi interface 3D OFF
I tried now disabling the option 'Prefer VDPAU video mixer' and when it is disabled, I get same quality with KODI 3D option enabled/disabled however it still has some image distortion and best result is when the display is set to 4K resolution.
Any ideas on what may be causing this?