Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: guisettings.xlm not saved / reseted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

with my windows HTPC setup:
Windows 10
Nvidea 1060
AVR receiver
UHD TV connected to the AVR receiver

I do have a problem where I have no idea how to solve this. When booting the HTPC (was switched off and TV/AVR switched on before) then Windows booting normal and Kodi is set to autostart. Normally everything is working fine BUT in most of the cases (70-80%?) Kodi did forget the AVR configuration. It is then set to DIRECTSOUND but not to WASAPI which I set before. This I have to change this every time again :-(
In addition, the GUI resolution sometimes is set to full HD (1080p) and not to 2160p (when I am leaving Kodi then you can stndows to 2160p).

Any thoughts of this ?

Thanks
laola
Let's start with a full kodi debug log (wiki) file, for full details.
Which antivirus tool is active? If any?
Is the AVR definitely always on before Kodi is started? as this is usually a sign the audio device is not ready when Kodi starts and will happen if the AVR is off.

If the AVR is definitely on before Kodi starts then there maybe a delay in the audio device being ready so Kodi maybe autostarting before it is ready, if so you will have to look into putting a delay into the autostart, see https://www.howtogeek.com/52043/how-to-c...n-windows/
yes - 100% sure that the AVR was on before - and no AntiVirus...

However, it seems that the start time has an impact. As suggested I delayed the autostart of Kodi by 5 sec. At least after 3x restart I didn't notice any abnormal behaviour :-)

I keep you posted when it will occur once again.

Thanks for your help
laola
okay - now it happened again... :-( 

The "wrong" resulution seems to be depending on a Windows issue because Windows also didn't switch to 2160p without a reboot this time. However after a soft reboot the resulution was correct but the audio settings again back to DIRECTSOUND (even they have been rightly set to WASAPI as the issue with the resolution did occor - so two independet issues in my point of view)

Log:
https://pastebin.com/hSiyarM9
Quote:so two independent issues in my point of view
I believe these issues to be linked.

The audio defaulting to direct sound is going to be a property of your graphics card. With Waspi, HDMI audio is initiated and if the handshaking isn't there, it defaults, sometimes it's a matter of timing as @jjd-uk pointed out. I switch back & forth a lot; on occasion, I lose handshaking (as you've noted, a manual reset is needed) and sometimes I need to unplug the AVR to get back into shape, I guess it's a wonky AVR. In your case looking at the log, you start off with a desktop Resolution: 3840x2160 32Bit at 50Hz then it opens (I presume a Kodi screen at SetFullScreenEx (windowed fullscreen) on screen 0 with size 1920x1080, refresh 60) then jumps back into CreateWindowSizeDependentResources - (Re)Create window size (3840x2160 and hz not given) and subsequent notes:

OnDisplayLost - notify display lost event
OnDisplayReset - notify display reset event

Which for me, seems that handshaking has broken, and the audio defaults. I should mention that most, if not all skins are 1920x1080 even though the video may play out larger. Suggestion, try a desktop resolution of 1920x1080x60 and see if you get any consistency when launching Kodi at that resolution.
okay - thanks - I'll try and will let you know...

I am using 50Hz because this avoids some resolution switching when I turn on the TV function (one of the Kodi main purpose for me). The Windows desk top is also set to 2160p/50Hz...
If it's a handshaking issue then you could try the Pin 19 trick, see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid1357945
As long as the refresh is the same in all areas, the issue perhaps is the jumping between the cycles. If you're in N. America 60 clock cycles is the norm and most hardware expects it.