Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video bitrate info "unknown"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I press "o" to get the PlayerProcessInfo display, the video decoder is "mmal" but then the video bitrate is "unknown" on all my videos. The same is true for youtube and reddit addons, all videos are "mmal" and "unknown". I checked the PlayerDebug display through Ctrl+Shift "o" but it doesn't have the video bitrate either.

How do I display the video bitrate?

Thank you.
My setup: OSMC with Kodi 17.4 on RPi3
1 week and 150+ views and no replies!

Did I post in the wrong place? Is my question vague or lacks some more info?
Maybe a screenshot and details of what you are expecting to see would help.
If it is any consolation mine doesn't appear to either.
After a small amount of Googling I have discovered...

Ctrl + Shift + d shows CPU cores MEM FPS and log location.
Ctrl + shift + o more information aq,Kbs,att;vq,Mbs,fr,drop,skip,player,vsync
(2017-10-27, 14:37)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe a screenshot and details of what you are expecting to see would help.

Here's a screenshot of the 'PlayerProcessInfo' screen when pressing the o key: https://i.imgur.com/TsAcQs7.png
Here's a screenshot of the 'PlayerDebug' screen when pressing the ctrl+shift+o keys: https://i.imgur.com/T0QuJSf.png

What I expect is any info on the video bitrate of video I'm watching. It used to do that in Kodi 16.

(2017-10-28, 15:34)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]After a small amount of Googling I have discovered...

Ctrl + Shift + d shows CPU cores MEM FPS and log location.
Ctrl + shift + o more information aq,Kbs,att;vq,Mbs,fr,drop,skip,player,vsync

I have provided screenshots for the info screens when pressing o and ctrl+shift+o above. There is no video bitrate in either.
I tried ctrl+shift+d but it does nothing.
The Current video bitrate is the part on PlayerDebug where it says Mb/s:

If you want the Average video bitrate (reported by demuxer) as was shown in previous versions I don't think that info is available anymore.
(2017-10-29, 00:49)ifelsethenend Wrote: [ -> ]I have provided screenshots for the info screens when pressing o and ctrl+shift+o above. There is no video bitrate in either.
I tried ctrl+shift+d but it does nothing.

The bitrate of that video is 3.26 Mb/s.

I think that is the best answer you are going to get.
(2017-10-20, 20:30)ifelsethenend Wrote: [ -> ]When I press "o" to get the PlayerProcessInfo display, the video decoder is "mmal" but then the video bitrate is "unknown" on all my videos. The same is true for youtube and reddit addons, all videos are "mmal" and "unknown". I checked the PlayerDebug display through Ctrl+Shift "o" but it doesn't have the video bitrate either.

How do I display the video bitrate?

Thank you.
My setup: OSMC with Kodi 17.4 on RPi3

If you still experience a problem please start a post on the OSMC forum so we can look in to this further

Sam
(2017-10-29, 01:22)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]The Current video bitrate is the part on PlayerDebug where it says Mb/s:

(2017-10-29, 15:37)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]The bitrate of that video is 3.26 Mb/s.

Mb/s is measuring the data transfer rate in realtime, it's always changing depending on the internet connection (or the wireless connection in a local LAN when streaming from a NAS for example). This is not the bitrate of the video. At 1 incident it is 3.26 but then it can drop to 1 or increase to 6 depending on internet bandwidth, wireless connection quality, and load on the server holding the content. Video bitrate is a single set number that can be viewed with any MediaInfo program. It represent the average data content of a video per second and it indicates quality. Video quality is not just resolution (720 or 1080 or 4k), but also frames per second (fps), and bits per second (bps).

I remember that the video bitrate was present in Kodi 16 (I think I have an old sdcard with Kodi 16 somewhere, I'll dig for it and provide a screenshot later).

I suspicion is that the "unknown" label listed beside the Decoder entry "mmal-h264" should be the video bitrate but for some reason is not correctly displayed. The reason I suspect this is because this "unknown" entry is the same for all kinds of video no matter what the source (NAS, Youtube, Addons). It's always the decoder type + "unknown".

Quote:Sam.Nazarko

If you still experience a problem please start a post on the OSMC forum so we can look in to this further

Is this specific to OSMC? In other words, is the video bitrate displayed correctly in OE or LE?
The "Unknown" label you are referring to shows for me as "Surface", i.e. Mediacodec Surface. I believe the Average Video Bitrate which you are talking about is no longer available from 17 onwards as the whole Video Player was re-written from scratch.
No longer available! This particular little piece of info got scratched! Why remove something that was already there?
Any idea whether it's on the to-do list for Kodi 18?

Btw, I found the old sdcard and managed to get a screenshot like mention in my previous post https://i.imgur.com/gT3rA1J.png
As you can see there is the video bitrate info and also the realtime rate of data transfer (which happened to be lower at the exact time when taking the screenshot, usually it's gets higher).

Searched for "MediaCodec Surface" and as far as I can tell, it has to do with software acceleration as opposed to hardware acceleration. So, you're right it has nothing to do with video bitrate. Thank you for your help anyway.

Another thing, since you are a helpful person, can I ask you to take a look at this post: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=322738
It has been more than 10 days and 200 views and no replies.
(2017-10-31, 14:10)ifelsethenend Wrote: [ -> ]No longer available! This particular little piece of info got scratched! Why remove something that was already there?
Any idea whether it's on the to-do list for Kodi 18?
It was never there, as I said the Video Player was re-written from scratch, it was there on the old version but has never been available since the re-write. It was discussed extensively over many threads in the past, here is one such thread you can have a read through if you wish https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=277344

(2017-10-31, 14:10)ifelsethenend Wrote: [ -> ]Another thing, since you are a helpful person, can I ask you to take a look at this post: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=322738
It has been more than 10 days and 200 views and no replies.
No idea, I just use <curlclienttimeout>30</curlclienttimeout> and it works for me. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest, I doubt it makes much difference & is probably virtually obsolete for most nowadays.