Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sinhala subtitle fix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,i'm from sri lanka and  I'm new to kodi. There is an issue with sinhala subtitle rendering in kodi. that's a big issue here because the words not displaying correctly.

Is should be fixed as this.

Is there any fix for this?  
Thanks.
Sorry, but my/Kodi's Sri Lankan language skills are not that much developed.

Is this Sri Lanka rendering also done via .srt subtitle files or other subtitle type files?
Is it a font issue, or a plain wrong translation? In case of the latter, hire yourself a good translator and update the srt text file. Smile
(2017-10-25, 19:36)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, but my/Kodi's Sri Lankan language skills are not that much developed.

Is this Sri Lanka rendering also done via .srt subtitle files or other subtitle type files?
Is it a font issue, or a plain wrong translation? In case of the latter, hire yourself a good translator and update the srt text file. Smile

it's ok. thanks for the reply..   Blush we use .srt and .ssa both for our subtitiles. KMPlayer and VLC Player plays both these subtitle formats and sinhala subtitles very nicely. But unfortunately kodi unable to render subtitiles for sinhala. This is not a font issue. in sinhala there are several combinations of words. i don't know how to explain that. windows and other os has that facility to adjust the font as we type. I don't know how the players render these subs, but they doing it correctly. why kodi can't do this. it's media center, not a single player..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinhala_(Unicode_block)
(2017-10-25, 19:53)aruna Wrote: [ -> ]windows and other os has that facility to adjust the font as we type
Well, Kodi is not a full OS. It has also no such active font adjustment for certain languages. Such functionality would have to be developed first. Most standalone players simply render each character directly from the contents of the subtitle file.
(2017-10-25, 21:44)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-10-25, 19:53)aruna Wrote: [ -> ]windows and other os has that facility to adjust the font as we type
Well, Kodi is not a full OS. It has also no such active font adjustment for certain languages. Such functionality would have to be developed first. Most standalone players simply render each character directly from the contents of the subtitle file.

why cannot kodi use that OS feature, i mean just like an API?
Kodi is a software application not only used in Windows, but also Android and Linux. And not all of those operating systems offer that API option. Meaning, that particular functionality would have to be (re)created inside Kodi, likely by reverse-engineering. Or perhaps there is some documentation on it somewhere that explains how the translation changes are to be implemented. Simply because we are not going to offer Kodi builds with different levels of functionality because of the underlying OS.

And there is also the weighing process of: "How much time/effort should we invest in functionality that is used by so few users?"
Right now, the number of Kodi developers is already limited as is. But, PR code submissions via Github are always welcome.
Aruna machan, is this sorted now? is there any solution? I have the same problem.