Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: I would like to send something to the Kodi developers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I find the developers of Kodi should be aware that the Kodi is so popular only because the cheap TV boxes are on the market and people with little money can buy this. I find the developers of Kodi to be arrogant and imagined, you should stay on the ground and be glad that millions of people use Kodi. Because that is the reason why Kodi is so popular. What does Cheap China Box? What kind of TV do you have? Samsung? Sony? Sharp? LG? These are all Asian manufacturers. If these cheap China boxes were not there, there would be hardly any Kodi users. So keep the ball flat, not everyone can afford an Nvidia Shield or knows so well with it, many forget that they themselves also started small times and were ignorant. If the Kodi developers continue to be so against these cheap boxes, then it is soon out with Kodi and you should just take time. Imagined people are the worst thing there is. Think of the people who do not have so much money. To the very clever people here, think about whether you are still humans or machines.
Hello @mibmt,

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

You are correct, the "Cheap Chinese Boxes" do make Kodi accessible to many people, even though Kodi can be loaded on almost any computer in the house.

You are incorrect in thinking that the Kodi Team is against them. We are not. But you need to realise that some boxes are *not fit for purpose* in that they are cheaply designed and manufactured, and severely underpowered. Also at fault is the purchaser for not properly researching the product, or falls prey to unscrupulous salesmen claiming to be official Kodi resellers. There is no such thing. So, in trying to provide the best advice for our community, we do tell members to avoid certain types of hardware to ensure their Kodi experience is as satisfying as possible.

Why people believe they can spend $45 on a "box" and then expect tons of storage, memory, high powered cpu, with the ability to play 3D, HEVC h.265, 10 bit colour, DolbyVision etc, is always beyond the understanding of many in the community... You get what you pay for. But it is not the Chinese manufacturers or these unscrupulous retailers that are dealing with the complaints... we are, even though it has nothing to do with Kodi!!

Quote:If the Kodi developers continue to be so against these cheap boxes, then it is soon out with Kodi and you should just take time.
This is quite amusing for 2 reasons. 1.You are fiercely of the opinion Kodi can only be loaded on cheap boxes, and 2. We don't get paid for Kodi. Did you pay us? So if 20 people, or 28 million people use Kodi, it does not make a difference!

Although you are entitled to your opinion, at least try to get your facts correct.

I assume you are one of these users?

Moved to General Discussion
The problem with cheap boxes is NOT that they are cheap, it is that they are so often crap.
@mibmt
Have you actually looked at the hardware forum? Theres a great article on picking the right box, depending on your needs. Its not a issue of cheap boxes but buying crap boxes with no quality control

As Karellen has said its the fault of the purchaser to not research what they are buying and sadly a lot of these Chinese boxes are thrown togehter with little regard for functionality or support
There is also have the common misconception that the team all want Kodi to be wildly popular at all costs. We don't.

We are all volunteers, no matter what role we play in the team. We develop and maintain Kodi and place like this forum for our own pleasure and enjoyment, rather than for profit or anything like that. Aside from donations and merchandise, we don't make money from the endeavour nor do we get paid.

As such if someone offered us a way to have only the user base we want (basically getting rid of all the 3rd party piracy stuff that parasitically infects Kodi's name and image) at the expense of losing 90% of our users then we'd take it. And most of those are via the aforementioned cheap Chinese crap boxes which come pre loaded with all the rubbish and are sold to greedy and gullible idiots who think they can spend a few dollars and get all sorts of expensive channels and movies for free. Not to mention how stupid that whole concept is when a moment's common sense thought would make it obvious that such a deal can't be legal and legitimate.
(2017-10-26, 03:00)mibmt Wrote: [ -> ]I find the developers of Kodi should be aware that the Kodi is so popular only because the cheap TV boxes are on the market and people with little money can buy this. I find the developers of Kodi to be arrogant and imagined, you should stay on the ground and be glad that millions of people use Kodi.
Why? Do you think the software development is aimed at selling as many £25 "fully-loaded Kodi Boxes" as possible? It certainly isn't.

(2017-10-26, 03:00)mibmt Wrote: [ -> ]If these cheap China boxes were not there, there would be hardly any Kodi users.
This is probably not a bad thing, given all the negativity the mass production of these boxes has brought to the software

(2017-10-26, 03:00)mibmt Wrote: [ -> ]If the Kodi developers continue to be so against these cheap boxes, then it is soon out with Kodi
No it won't, development won't cease if there are no cheap boxes being bought. Kodi don't even sell boxes, and the software was here long before they were even in existence.
I think the Kodi developers would be much happier if these cheap Chinese boxes didn't exist & people weren't using them for illegal streaming

Bear in mind a lot of Kodi users like me dont use any foreign repositries or streaming addons. I simply use Kodi to play my local content. It saddens me to see its name dragged through the mud on a daily basis, accociated with all this illegal streaming

If it would make a damn bit of diffence I would suggest disabling 3rd party repositries & require signed approved addons but the nature of open source software would make this a useless gesture and go against the spirit of the software
Considering the millions of users has been more of a burden than a benefit then I for one would be glad to see the back of them.
(2017-10-26, 03:00)mibmt Wrote: [ -> ]I find the developers of Kodi should be aware that the Kodi is so popular only because the cheap TV boxes are on the market and people with little money can buy this. I find the developers of Kodi to be arrogant and imagined, you should stay on the ground and be glad that millions of people use Kodi. Because that is the reason why Kodi is so popular. What does Cheap China Box? What kind of TV do you have? Samsung? Sony? Sharp? LG? These are all Asian manufacturers. If these cheap China boxes were not there, there would be hardly any Kodi users. So keep the ball flat, not everyone can afford an Nvidia Shield or knows so well with it, many forget that they themselves also started small times and were ignorant. If the Kodi developers continue to be so against these cheap boxes, then it is soon out with Kodi and you should just take time. Imagined people are the worst thing there is. Think of the people who do not have so much money. To the very clever people here, think about whether you are still humans or machines.

Hate to shoot your claim down in flames (well not really, just trying to be polite), but Kodi/XBMC was popular long before Android boxes were even a thing.

You might want to stop for a moment and remember that it was the people that you are being disrespectful to that release kodi to run on those android boxes, so you might just want to leave the hate at home.

Thanks to Team Kodi, there are versions of Kodi to run on devices for all budgets, be it a pi, android box or a dedicated high end htpc.

Instead of joining the forum to hate on the very people that created the software that you are using, maybe, you should just say thank you to them and move along
(2017-10-26, 03:00)mibmt Wrote: [ -> ]‘I find the developers of Kodi to be arrogant and imagined’

Really?

My experience is quite the opposite; but you seem to have some misconceptions so i would assume these misconceptions brought you to this conclusion.
(2017-10-26, 03:00)mibmt Wrote: [ -> ]I find the developers of Kodi should be aware that the Kodi is so popular only because the cheap TV boxes are on the market and people with little money can buy this. I find the developers of Kodi to be arrogant and imagined, you should stay on the ground and be glad that millions of people use Kodi. Because that is the reason why Kodi is so popular. What does Cheap China Box? What kind of TV do you have? Samsung? Sony? Sharp? LG? These are all Asian manufacturers. If these cheap China boxes were not there, there would be hardly any Kodi users. So keep the ball flat, not everyone can afford an Nvidia Shield or knows so well with it, many forget that they themselves also started small times and were ignorant. If the Kodi developers continue to be so against these cheap boxes, then it is soon out with Kodi and you should just take time. Imagined people are the worst thing there is. Think of the people who do not have so much money. To the very clever people here, think about whether you are still humans or machines.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.  Thank you, I really needed that laugh.
This guy seems mad that he brought a piece of cr*p Android 5.1 box and it doesn't work correctly.
He then seems mad that the devs (who work for free) won't fix it for him.

The funniest part is he thinks all these users leaving for some other magical app that supports cr*p hardward and old software,
would somehow hurt KODI. Sounds like a win to me.

@mibmt
I suggest you switch to your cheap Chinese boxes File Manager and stock video player for your media needs - ENJOY that!
(2017-10-27, 05:23)matthuisman Wrote: [ -> ]This guy seems mad that he brought a piece of cr*p Android 5.1 box and it doesn't work correctly.
He then seems mad that the devs (who work for free) won't fix it for him.

The funniest part is he thinks all these users leaving for some other magical app that supports cr*p hardward and old software,
would somehow hurt KODI. Sounds like a win to me.

@mibmt
I suggest you switch to your cheap Chinese boxes File Manager and stock video player for your media needs - ENJOY that!
+1
(2017-10-26, 03:00)mibmt Wrote: [ -> ]I find the developers of Kodi should be aware that the Kodi is so popular only because the cheap TV boxes are on the market and people with little money can buy this.
Apparently you were born not that long ago. XBMC was already popular before the whole cheap Android device market went into overdrive.

(2017-10-26, 03:00)mibmt Wrote: [ -> ]I find the developers of Kodi to be arrogant and imagined, you should stay on the ground and be glad that millions of people use Kodi. Because that is the reason why Kodi is so popular. If these cheap China boxes were not there, there would be hardly any Kodi users.
Again, XBMC and Kodi were already popular. But you seem to ignore to fact that Kodi is not out for HTPC world domination. Have another look at https://kodi.tv/article/having-issues-fr...tv-streams
Quote:"if the Kodi userbase drops a huge percentage because pirate services flee or die, we're fine with that. Kodi has been around since 2002 and we are not going to implode or disappear (unlike the pirates). Life will be a little quieter, but less time spent on self-entitled whiny people means more time writing great code and having fun. We're okay with that too."

(2017-10-26, 03:00)mibmt Wrote: [ -> ]To the very clever people here, think about whether you are still humans or machines.
Ohh... A Turing test. Really? I think we know the difference between ignorance, enjoying a non-paid hobby and trolling on a forum. Try to learn a machine that.
Believe me there are people who feel that it is a shame that Kodi was ever ported to Android. More trouble than it is worth.
Pages: 1 2 3