Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No Refresh Switching After Cycling TV/Receiver Power Until Kodi Restarts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone else been having issues with Kodi not doing refresh rate switching after the TV/receiver is power cycled?

I'm running a 2015 Shield TV, 6.0 firmware, with Kodi 17.5.1 (sideloaded from the official site due to the update bug in 17.5). I was running 17.4 from the Play Store for quite some time, which worked fairly well on the Shield 5.x firmware other than some mixed HDCP issues with refresh switching that was fixed by adding an HDMI splitter to intercept/rebuild the handshake.

After the Shield firmware update, Kodi works fine after I open it and play something back with a different framerate, which it switches properly. However, I normally leave my shield on and only turn my TV and sound projector on and off. If I turn them off and back on while Kodi was left open, the refresh switching no longer works until I restart Kodi, after which it works perfectly again. The normal 'pause while refresh rate switching' is still there, but it doesn't push the framerate change through. The workaround for this is to always restart Kodi, but I'd rather not have to do that each time if possible, or have the shield turn off/go to sleep and turn on again after the TV/sound projector, which I'm having trouble getting to work properly with my harmony remote. Having the splitter inline has no impact on this issue, and Nvidia made some changes in the 6.0 firmware that makes it mostly unnecessary anyway (still have some bad refresh switches occasionally, though).

Am I the only one having this problem? Since the firmware caused the issue to surface, but it is fixed by restarting Kodi, I assume that it's a compatibility issue of Kodi with the new firmware. However, I might have a unique device configuration that makes it happen, while most others might have newer equipment with all the same HDCP versions.

If this is the first that this has been identified, I can snag a log. However, I do have an addon or two that might not be considered kosher in terms of the support policy, so hopefully this issue has already been identified and a log is not necessary.
I've been perplexed by this issue for a while without much resolution. Occurs for me in the most current SPMC 17.6 build and the Kodi 18 nightlies.

I just changed my Harmony activity to turn the Shield on first, before the TV and receiver. Previously, the Shield was turned on last. After a few power cycles, I'm getting refresh rate switching without having to restart Kodi. Must be some kind of handshake issue.

Might be worth a try, hopefully you have similar success.
(2017-10-26, 03:30)Aaron407 Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone else been having issues with Kodi not doing refresh rate switching after the TV/receiver is power cycled?

Yep, same issues. see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=327326.

I initially started that topic for kodi to restart automatically after the Shield resumed from sleep to overcome the refresh rate switching issue. Sadly Kodi is not aware of the Shield's sleep state