Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: I think Kodi 17.5 messed up my Shield TV (2015)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Shield TV (2015) happily running Kodi for a few months, I had never have to restart it for any reason.

Starting today, after automatically updated to 17.5 (it's the only updated app according to Google Play Store) it started to crash, the first crash happened when I was watching a TV episode with Kodi, Shield TV just wont respond to anything, IR remote, official BT and gamepad wouldn't work, I had to re-plug the power adapter. The second crash happened when I was watching a movie in Netflix, after went in Kodi and quit, had to re-plug the power adapter again. After that I wouldn't touch Kodi again and the Shield TV still kept crashing, it was about 1hr between crashes but in the last hour or so it crashes every 5-10 minutes. Now it crashes about 20 seconds after boot, I don't even have time to get into Settings to uninstall Kodi or doing anything else.

Now, I don't have any concrete proof that Kodi caused all these, it's hard to believe, but the only change with my Shield TV is Kodi updated to 17.5, the next last thing that updated happened on 18th.

I unplugged it and let it sit for about 10 minutes now, hoping it will somehow let me go into Settings to uninstall Kodi.
There is an Android update to 17.5.1 .
Yes I know, but it hasn't been rolled out yet to my region, I was thinking this bug wasn't very serious and let it updated itself in a day or two, but turned out it made the Shield unusable.

After 30 mins I plugged it in and managed to uninstall Kodi, but it crashed again after about a minute. Good news is after next reboot I proceed to do a factory reset and it's been running fine for roughly an hour now.
(2017-10-26, 16:45)Bmn2016 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I know, but it hasn't been rolled out yet to my region, I was thinking this bug wasn't very serious and let it updated itself in a day or two, but turned out it made the Shield unusable.

After 30 mins I plugged it in and managed to uninstall Kodi, but it crashed again after about a minute. Good news is after next reboot I proceed to do a factory reset and it's been running fine for roughly an hour now.

oO was it really so hard to download an apk file and install it?