Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need Help Installing TMM on Ubuntu v17.10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello community! I need some poor soul to tell me the steps to install Java and install Tiny Media Manager as i feel naked without my TMM here on Ubuntu. I'm a long time Windows user since about 1998 and i am jumping ship for Linux for the foreseeable future. I know some Linux basics and i been reading, studying and watching videos on how to do this and that. Just learning at a slow pace and taking my time with it because i want to stick with Linux for the long haul. Just frustrating sometimes as i feel like i am in a foreign land. hehe

I use to use Linux back in the early 2000's when i was in high school but since forgot a lot or most things since getting spoiled by the Windows environment. So if anyone can tell me what to do step by step or point me to a site with this information then i would be grateful. Yea i know Google is my friend, or so they say......
for java please follow this guide and install Oracle Java 8 Runtime
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/t...th-apt-get

for tmm simply get the latest linux version from the tmm website and extract the tar.gz file into a folder. call this folder however you like and place it in your home directory.

now you can simply right click on tmm.jar and select open with Oracle Java 8 Runtime. now you can use the app like you did in windows.

to add tmm to your launcher to avoid doing the whole right click thing above, follow this guide:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/224004/h...her#224021
Thanks for your reply. I'm looking at the links you provided as i type this. Thanks for the guidance. Doesn't look like this will be too daunting. Windows got me brainwashed. I'm trying to basically forget everything i know being a long time Windows user and just reprogram my brain.

Thanks again for your time and help.
you could also take the openjdk package since tmm works nicely with that too (I only use openjdk on arch linux)
(2017-10-26, 21:19)ClueLessNoob Wrote: [ -> ]for java please follow this guide and install Oracle Java 8 Runtime
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/t...th-apt-get

for tmm simply get the latest linux version from the tmm website and extract the tar.gz file into a folder. call this folder however you like and place it in your home directory.

now you can simply right click on tmm.jar and select open with Oracle Java 8 Runtime. now you can use the app like you did in windows.

to add tmm to your launcher to avoid doing the whole right click thing above, follow this guide:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/224004/h...e-launcher

1) I been having issues getting this to work on Linux Mint v18.2 I explain below why I want to use Linux Mint. Worked fine on Ubuntu v17.10 after I ran a shell script that I talk about more below also. I got Openjdk 8 installed by running .....

Code:
 sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk

2) I then manually went and got mediainfo v0.7.99 from the official site as it's up to date and installed it no problem.

3) Next I made a folder simply named TMM in my Home folders area and downloaded tmm_2.9.5_1bf3695_linux.tar and extracted to the TMM folder. Easy peezy

4) Next I clicked on tmm.jar and picked to run with Java like you said. It just throws up a error about it not being able to execute. so I went into permissions and made the tick to let it run and now when I click to run with Java it doesn't show anything at all.

5) so I done some further research which led me to the Tiny Media Manager Wiki page for installation saying these steps below.....

**Taken from Tiny Media Manager Wiki Page**

For Linux tinyMediaManager comes as a packaged install directory. tinyMediaManager has a shell script to start (which is needed for the first run). At the first start tinyMediaManger creates a .desktop file which can be move to ~/.local/share/applications to start tinyMediaManager directly from the desktop environment.
You should download libmediainfo from https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download if that library is outdated in your distributions package archive!
Note: In case you get a blank window when starting tinyMediaManager, see below for a possible solution.
[url=https://github.com/tinyMediaManager/tinyMediaManager/wiki/Installation#ubuntudebian][/url]Ubuntu/Debian
Code:
# apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk
# apt-get install libmediainfo
# cd /path/to/tinyMediaManager
# ./tinyMediaManager.sh

6) So I ran the shell script in terminal that I posted below, pointing to the script in the TMM folder where I extracted everything. That worked good running that and then it made  the .desktop file. I clicked on the .desktop file and it loaded up the program no problem on Ubuntu v17.10 but since then I tried out Linux Mint as it seems more easier for me coming from the Windows environment and I ran these same steps but when I click on the .desktop file in Linux Mint it will not run. Only way I could get Tiny Media Manager to run on Linux Mint was to open a file manager with Root access and then when I clicked on the .desktop file it loaded Tiny Media Manager no problem. So I figured I had to change the permissions on the the .desktop file since it was letting Root run it but not my user account. So I then changed the permission on the .desktop file to give my user name access and it would not launch at all. Only launches when I have Root set before clicking the .desktop file in Linux Mint or by running this (sudo ./tinyMediaManager.sh) every time in Terminal  (Yea I know I said Linux Mint a hundred times! hehe LINUX MINT!)

Just wonder why the shell script runs awesome along with the nifty shortcut it makes on Ubuntu 17.10 but will not work the same under Linux Mint v18.2 Sonya? Maybe i'm doing something wrong in Linux Mint but I can deal with using Unbuntu if I have to. I think the transition will be easier on me if I can get Tiny Media Manager to work on Linux Mint. If anyone has any suggestions, i'm all ears. This has been a fun learning experience so far. Really enjoying myself.

Code:
sudo ./tinyMediaManager.sh
Never mind, I fixed it. I screwed up running the shell script with sudo and it was making it set some items in the TMM folder with Root permissions only I guess. I dunno, still learning. I ran this command below instead without sudo and now the .desktop file works like butter in Mint. Strange I used this command in Ubuntu with sudo and it still worked fine. I dunno. I'm a happy camper now. Love my Tiny Media Manager. Thanks Devs! I will be donating soon. I been using this software for free for a long while. Time to pay the piper now. hehe

Code:
./tinyMediaManager.sh

Here's my results. Looking good!

glad you sorted it and no apologies required for using mint, it is a fine distribution.
just one small hint for linux (from a long time linux user Big Grin) - unlinke in windows, you should always try to start programs as a user. there are much less programs which need root as in windows. 

tinyMediaManager needs no root permission to run, but proper file access permissions to read/create all needed files in the data sources
(2017-11-01, 09:38)mlaggner Wrote: [ -> ]just one small hint for linux (from a long time linux user Big Grin) - unlinke in windows, you should always try to start programs as a user. there are much less programs which need root as in windows. 

tinyMediaManager needs no root permission to run, but proper file access permissions to read/create all needed files in the data sources

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it. Every bit helps!
(2017-10-31, 00:50)ClueLessNoob Wrote: [ -> ]glad you sorted it and no apologies required for using mint, it is a fine distribution.

Mint has been nice and has made the transition more easy from Windows. I don't feel so alienated now that i got the look of Windows while also being able to still learn how to use Linux through the Terminal and work under the GUI hood in Mint. Very nice.
so I downloaded and extracted TMM to a folder named “tmm_2.9.5” 
Placed that folder in Home> .local> Share> ApplicationsRight click “tmm.jar” > OpenJDK Java 8 Runtime > starts then quits. Then nothing
any ideas what did I forget to do? 
I reread this thread multiple time.
Not sure I full grasp it all.
do I need to install this -libmediainfo?

thank you
start via the shellscript - starting the tmm.jar directly won't work
yes you should instll libmediainfo too - otherwise you won't get any data from the media files
Hi,

i am trying to run TMM on Ubuntu Budgie 17.10, unfortunately it doesn't start. I extracted to ~/bin/tmm, checked permissions and installed openjdk-8-jdk.

When running ./TinyMediaManager.sh, the splash comes up and disappears, then I am back at the prompt. logs/tmm.log is empty, launcher.log can be viewed there:
https://paste.debian.net/996383/

Thanks.
@mlaggner
thank you for the reply and help.
i am newish to linux this is the first i started an application from terminal.
i was unable to cd to the .local folder so i ended up moving the tmm folder and all is good now.

i will need to learn how to access hidden folders from terminal at some point.

Looking forward to giving TMM a try.

thanks again for the help.
@freiform you've run tmm with java 9 (/usr/lib/jvm/java-9-openjdk-amd64/bin/java), but tmm is not java 9 compatible at the moment.
either downgrade to java 8 or try to create a file called extra.txt in the tmm folder and add the following line
Code:
--add-modules java.xml.bind
and restart the shellscript tinymediamanager.sh
Pages: 1 2