Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Hardware acceleration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear community

I have two questions about Kodi "Hardware Acceleration", in combination with my QNAP NAS TS-453s:
The NAS has a Intel J1900-CPU with integrated Intel HD graphics card, for which on QNAPs homepage it says that the following video formats are supported for hardware acceleration:

H.264 CB
H.264 Main
H.264 [email protected]
MPEG2 Simple
MPEG2 [email protected]
VC1 Simple
VC1 Main
VC1 [email protected]LeVeL 3

My questions are:

1. To get hardware acceleration advantages of Kodi I have top activate "VAAPI" hardware acceleration, right?

2. All my videos are stored in .mkv format right now. Does that mean I have to convert all of my video files to for example H.264 format to get advantages of hardware acceleration?
(2017-10-27, 13:40)Tattoofreak Wrote: [ -> ]Dear community

I have two questions about Kodi "Hardware Acceleration", in combination with my QNAP NAS TS-453s:
The NAS has a Intel J1900-CPU with integrated Intel HD graphics card, for which on QNAPs homepage it says that the following video formats are supported for hardware acceleration:

H.264 CB
H.264 Main
H.264 [email protected]
MPEG2 Simple
MPEG2 [email protected]
VC1 Simple
VC1 Main
VC1 [email protected]LeVeL 3

My questions are:

1. To get hardware acceleration advantages of Kodi I have top activate "VAAPI" hardware acceleration, right?

2. All my videos are stored in .mkv format right now. Does that mean I have to convert all of my video files to for example H.264 format to get advantages of hardware acceleration?

1. yes
2. no - mkv is a container as long as the format in that container matches the above codecs all is fine.
Hi Tattoofreak,

yes, you could enable VAAPI to enable hardware acceleration.

I'm running Kodi for 2 two years on the same QNAP hardware (HS-251+). The J1900 by far is enough to run it without hardware accelaration. I have two 6TB disks (fully encrypted, mostly 1080p material, but also some MPEG2 DVDs).

Decoding and decrypting never causes more then 20% CPU load even if hardware acceleration disabled.

So for sure there is no need to recode any MKVs.

igs