Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sony Android TV with USB HDD - File Is no longer available.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to Kodi and have been searching for information on this problem I am Having, but all seems to relate to people running servers and crazy boxes.

My TV is a Sony KD-65X9000C Android TV. I have installed Kodi onto the TV.
From here I have plugged in a 2 TB Toshiba external HDD to the usb port in my TV.

In Kodi I have added video's from my usb toshiba source no problems. Playback is no problems, everything runs fine and plays well.

The problem is when i turn off my TV, then turn on next day to use kodi , i browse to the movies tab to play a movie and i get "The File is no longer available, would you like to remove it from the library"

If i scroll down to the Videos tab my toshiba usb drive is in media sources, and i can browse and play movies no problems from it. Just wondering if its a sony tv thing or not.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated
Cheers
Open the File Manager in Kodi, then select your drive. At the bottom of the screen it should show /storage/a_bunch_of_letters/numbers.

This is your drives device ID, write it down. The next time you turn you TV on check it again, if it's different then your TV is assigning a different ID when it powers on. If that is what it is doing there's nothing that you can do.

Suggestion, get a NAS.
SONY messed up things big time with MM/Nougat based FWs.
What is happening is that your disk gets remounted at some point an instead of its usual ID gets some random letter in front so it looks something like xYYYYYYYYYYYYY while it shoud be just YYYYYYYYYYYYY so none of the apps can see it anymore. If you have any file manager installed you can easily check that. Anyway, rebooting your TV will fix that. Untill the next time. I had this happening A LOT (a few times per day) when MM came out. And then it stopped just like that. It still happens from time to time but not so often so it deoesn't bother me much anymore.
The reason while you still can browse and watch from KODIs file manager is that filemanager just shows you what is plugged in at that time, it does not care abouth path to files while library files must be always in the same path.
Thanks for the replies. I checked the drive id and it is still the same after the tv turned off and back on.

The Tv must be doing something to the drive. There is no options on the tv to do much with the drive.

I think it is a sony tv issue with sony wanting you yo use their crappy player.

Thanks for the help and info.
check the next time when you see "file is no longer available". Random checking doesn't mean much since this is not happening all the time and every time your TV enters stand by.
Anyway, when that happens, just reboot the TV with a loooong press on power button.
Maybe Its too late for this but I believe you have to reformatted your external storage as NTFS.
I've no idea why Sony rename the USB port randomly when your external HDD is on ExFAT format! It will not happens on NTFS  Smile