Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Netflix box preferably able to be wired, cheap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a over-the-garage suite with a tenant who's smart TV can never seem to get good netflix performance on Wifi.  I bought a new router, then I put a router in the suite with wired backhaul to the house, still not good.  So instead of trying to continue to work with the smart TV, I want to go wired and use some other sort of box to provide the netflix.  Can anyone suggest something that will do wired, have some longevity?  The cheaper the better as I have no use for such a thing and it will likely not be reused.  I have 2 pi 2's sitting around but obviously they aren't any good for Netflix.

Anyways thanks for any suggestions.  I know this isn't a Kodi question per se, but I know the expertise is concentrated here Smile
Kodi 18 on libreelec on a mecool pro plus, I get netflix. US$36
The 1080p Netflix capable AMLogic S912 MECOOL M8S Pro L is both faster and has far better WiFi and actual working Bluetooth vs the M8S Pro+

I find it hard to recommend the M8S Pro+ these days because of serious problems it has had with dodgy batches of eMMC flash storage that has caused all sorts of issues. That is Chinese quality control for you at the budget end of the market.

The best unofficial Android TV ROM for Netflix, dual boot LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on AMLogic devices is found on the WeTek Play2
(2017-10-28, 23:00)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi 18 on libreelec on a mecool pro plus, I get netflix. US$36

Where can I download Kodi 18 libreelec for the mecool pro+?
s905 and s912 (Kodi v18) Leia builds

With SSH command line instructions for installing Widevine for LibreELEC 720p Netflix included there as well.
All help to be found in the LibreELEC forums.

The Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x capable - MECOOL's M8s Pro+ and M8s Pro L now come standard with a properly working Android TV Playstore. You simply directly install the standard 1080p Android TV Netflix App and login and you are good to go. All very easy.
(2017-10-29, 10:03)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]s905 and s912 (Kodi v18) Leia builds

With SSH command line instructions for installing Widevine for LibreELEC 720p Netflix included there as well.
All help to be found in the LibreELEC forums.

The Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x capable - MECOOL's M8s Pro+ and M8s Pro L now come standard with a properly working Android TV Playstore. You simply directly install the standard 1080p Android TV Netflix App and login and you are good to go. All very easy.

Thanks for the link. I'm afraid I'm one of those people who received a bad batch (before we knew there were bad batches out there) and when trying to install the ATV ROM lost Widevine L1 so Libreelec with Kodi 18 is the only way I can get netflix to work.
(2017-10-29, 01:11)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]The 1080p Netflix capable AMLogic S912 MECOOL M8S Pro L is both faster and has far better WiFi and actual working Bluetooth vs the M8S Pro+

I find it hard to recommend the M8S Pro+ these days because of serious problems it has had with dodgy batches of eMMC flash storage that has caused all sorts of issues. That is Chinese quality control for you at the budget end of the market.  

The best unofficial Android TV ROM for Netflix, dual boot LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on AMLogic devices is found on the WeTek Play2

Yes, typical, s912 problems sorted about a week after I bought two Pro Plus.

Ahh well I don't seem to have dodgy eMMC on the one I have opened so far, hopefully the other one (presumably from the same batch) is OK too.
Wow, thanks wrxtasy and nickr. I had no idea Netflix was coming to Kodi as well. Those boxes look like exactly what I need. I'm on my mobile but I'll review tomorrow. Thank you!!
(2017-10-29, 01:11)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]The 1080p Netflix capable AMLogic S912 MECOOL M8S Pro L is both faster and has far better WiFi and actual working Bluetooth vs the M8S Pro+

Do these typically come with their own remote, or do you have to choose one?
They come with one, although the advertising will make it clear
It seems like maybe I screwed up.  I ordered this because the picture specs match and it mentions MECOOL, but it also displays some other type of "WeChip" box.
Is this going to be a problem?  I've contacted the sller, but waiting on a reply.  I guess my question is, are there "counterfeit" M8S Pro L's out there??

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WeChip-M...71431.html
(2017-11-14, 23:54)bluenote Wrote: [ -> ]It seems like maybe I screwed up.  I ordered this because the picture specs match and it mentions MECOOL, but it also displays some other type of "WeChip" box.
Is this going to be a problem?  I've contacted the sller, but waiting on a reply.  I guess my question is, are there "counterfeit" M8S Pro L's out there??

That is a Rockchip based box, not the Amlogic box you are referring to, if you mean the Mecool M8S Pro L.
(2017-11-14, 23:54)bluenote Wrote: [ -> ]It seems like maybe I screwed up.  I ordered this because the picture specs match and it mentions MECOOL, but it also displays some other type of "WeChip" box.

Boy, that advertising is very confusing, it says the Wechip is the Rockchip box, but continues to show the Mecool box.........  guess you won't know what you will get...  
(2017-11-15, 02:29)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]

That is a Rockchip based box, not the Amlogic box you are referring to, if you mean the Mecool M8S Pro L. 
(2017-11-15, 02:34)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]

Boy, that advertising is very confusing, it says the Wechip is the Rockchip box, but continues to show the Mecool box.........  guess you won't know what you will get...  

If it is the correct Mecool box, it is cheaper at Gearbest and Geekbuying.

(2017-11-15, 02:34)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]

I messed around a little further and realized that if I cllick on the other boxes they are advertising in the description they take me to other listings that have the same picture.  So I think, I'm getting what I ordered.
Pages: 1 2