Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Suggestion ] Movie Set Images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am in the process of figuring out the best way to set up my images. At first I used the local method where it stores them in the item folder.

The issue is that it would save the same art in every folder in the set. So for instance Star Wars which has 8 or 9 movies, I have the same movieset art 9 times.

When in Kodi, picking the art it now shows all 9 folders as the local item folder thus listing the same piece of artwork 9 times.

Would be great if it would only save that art to ONE of the movies in the set.

I am aware of the alternative to save art to a separate folder, but when having 100s of images it makes scrolling to find the one image very tedious. Per collection folders preferred, just need to figure out a way to get rid of duplicate images.

None the less I Love the app - I like the trakt feature too that I activated with donation - it's nice that I can sync multiple Kodi installs this way.
Well, this is how Kodi works.
The "set information" is just a tag inside the NFO file.
Same tags are grouped virtually together.
There is no hierarchy, no library, nor any file system location assiciated with sets.
The movie does not know, if there are more movies in same set, or it is the first in a row - so you can't decide, whether to store a picture or not.

If Kodi wants to display a set image, it only searches for the existence of a movieset-poster.ext file inside a movie folder.
But functionality mostly depends on the used skin, and installed plugins like Movie(Set)ArtworkAutomator et all...
In the end, only the "grouping" set folder should display that particular image - movies should still list their default poster...

Although sets (with images) are nice, they have quite some limitations.
Like that a movie can only be in ONE set.
No dedicated "set" library inside Kodi, just a property on every movie.
[...]

Imho, "tags" are a more functional approach to group movies together...