Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dull 4k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone have an issue where when playing 4k movies the color looks dull?  The same movies in 1080 are colorful and netflix, youtube, amazon 4k color is fine.
What is the source of your 4K movies? Please be mindful of our Forum rules (wiki) and Piracy policy (wiki).

You'll need to provide a Debug log (wiki) so as to ascertain your issue.
The problem with the OP's post, apart from the missing debug log is we have no idea of the hardware or TV used, or even if it is HDR ?

It's a bit like "the dog ate my homework !" Wink
I would imagine your issue is covered here...

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307948

Hopefully the more people interested in this, the more likely it is to become a reality. It seems people are coming out of the woodwork in the last month or so, especially now that more content with HDR is available.
With several programs (Kodi, Powerdvd,Jriver MC), playing 4K HDR image files on a non-HDR monitor will result in a dull picture with washed out colors. HDR to SDR conversion is surprisingly preserved with the free windows "movies and TV" app, which also supports streaming uncompressed audio to the receiver/processor. I am using the native windows movies and TV app to play all my 4K HDR content at this time (just right click the file and open with movies and TV) till other programs fix this issue in future firmware updates.

P