Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: External HDMI monitor from iPad no longer works full screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I have a new problem I can’t seem to fix and was wondering if anyone is seeing the same issue. The only thing that changed in my system is the iPad was updated to latest iOS 11.1. 

My system:
iPad Air 2 on iOS 11.1
Kodi 17.4 64bit arm from Deb file, (updated to 17.5 but same issue)
Apple lightning to HDMI adapter 

So Kodi no longer sees my monitor as an external video output. Kodi is working fine except this issue. Before when I would connect an external monitor I could change the video output settings to choose the external output, or choose to have both displays mirror each other. When in mirror mode the monitor is limited to resolution of iPad, so it doesn’t fill the screen and I’m left with borders around all sides. When the external monitor was selected as the output before, the iPad screen would go blank and is only used to navigate the controls. Now when I go to video output settings, I can’t even select another setting as its greyed out (ie. no longer available to change to next output). 

Let me know if you’re seeing the same thing with a similar setup as mine.
Ensure that monitor is working mirrored and ensure that kodi is really closed. Then start kodi and post the debug log (wiki) - which ios version did you have before?
(2017-11-04, 19:35)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Ensure that monitor is working mirrored and ensure that kodi is really closed. Then start kodi and post the debug log (wiki) - which ios version did you have before?

I’ve used Kodi successfully with all iterations of iOS 11 so far. 
So I have addons that use passwords that I don’t want to make public by posting the log file without editing it first, how do I do that on an iPad? Or I guess I’ll have to uninstall all the addons and then create the log file and hope and pray none of my passwords show up in the log file.
So I figured out how to access the log file from iPad but now I’ve encountered another problem I’ve never had before. While navigating in file manager to copy my log file over to my home computer via Windows Network, I get an “error:invalid argument” message and I can’t see my connected home computer. This is going to create even more issues going forward if I can’t navigate my home PC on the network as that is where my media library is stored. However, I am still able to play all my movies from this home PC using the mapping’s I created a long time ago. Any idea what might be causing this issue? This issue is also new since updating to iOS 11.1 since I was able to successfully navigate my home pc a few weeks ago when I was installing an addon from a zip file stored on my home pc.
(2017-11-04, 19:35)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Ensure that monitor is working mirrored and ensure that kodi is really closed. Then start kodi and post the debug log (wiki) - which ios version did you have before?

Hi Memphiz, here is the log file
https://paste.ubuntu.com/25976444/

Hopefully you can see something wrong that I can fix so I can get my external monitor working again.

As a secondary check of Kodi I used the same method to load Kodi onto an iPhone 6 which hasn’t been upgraded to 11.1, and it works like it should.
There is not even a sign of an external display in that log - can you post the log from the iPhone 6 aswell for comparison? Sorry I have no iOS 11 anywhere yet because that iOS versions really sucks big time ...
(2017-11-21, 21:26)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]There is not even a sign of an external display in that log - can you post the log from the iPhone 6 aswell for comparison? Sorry I have no iOS 11 anywhere yet because that iOS versions really sucks big time ...

Yes, the settings in Kodi certainly act like an external monitor is not attached. However, the monitor is working and displays a mirror image of the iPad display, albeit with borders all around.

Okay here’s the log from the iPhone 6.
https://paste.ubuntu.com/26023448/

Thanks again for your help Memphiz.
I have the same issue except I’m on iPhone X. And using screen mirroring with Apple TV.
It’s as if iOS 11 see’s the second screen differently now.
Yes looks like ios11 changes api or behavior. The other log shows the screen with its supported resolutions - the ios11 log is missing that part completely. Will need to figure out ehat changed but i sm realy swamped with real life currently.
(2017-11-23, 08:08)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Yes looks like ios11 changes api or behavior. The other log shows the screen with its supported resolutions - the ios11 log is missing that part completely. Will need to figure out ehat changed but i sm realy swamped with real life currently.

Just to clarify, it wasn’t until my iPad was updated to 11.1 that I had the issue, so it’s not all versions of 11, at least in my case. The iPhone which is working is running iOS 11.0.3.
I understand your other real life commitments, but thanks for responding.
Can You try this Build and Report back please? http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/darwi...-ios64.deb
Wow thanks Memphiz, I’ll try it out and let you know.
No success with that version either.

The screen selection option was greyed out just like it was on Kodi 17.

I also tested on my brand new iPhone 7 Plus and I also couldn’t change the video output, however I did notice that while the option wasn’t greyed out like it was with the iPad, hitting the down arrow to select another output option didn’t do anything and the screen remained as a mirror image.

I also noticed that with both devices, the keyboard was not available to be used. I was mapping a source to my pc on the home network but I noticed I couldn’t edit the name. I had to connect using the Kodi Remote app to be able to use a keyboard.

Thanks again.
I have my ipad updated and it works as long as i am attached to the xcode debugger. I still have not the slightest clue what apple wants us developers to do for getting this feature back Sad
(2017-11-30, 08:19)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]I have my ipad updated and it works as long as i am attached to the xcode debugger. I still have not the slightest clue what apple wants us developers to do for getting this feature back Sad

Well that really sucks, thanks for looking into this for me and confirming it is a real issue and not something I was doing.

Cheers
Pages: 1 2