Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How Kodi works on Apple TV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, sorry for the simple question. I've searched on Youtube hoping to find someone showing how Kodi runs on Apple TV. All I can find is thousands of tutorial about how to install it.
I don't want to know how to install it, I want to know if it's stable enough to be used as a main multimedia player.

So far I own a Minix U1 and, since when I bought it years ago, I was never able to find a reliable version of Kodi for it (mostly because of poor Minix support; they keep on developing their own Kodi fork that never works well and never goes out of betas).
Lately new Kodi versions dropped support for "can't-remember-the-name", something like aslogic support or some old media library or so (sorry, I'm not a tech guy) and they don't want to update their box to Android 6, so I guess it's a dead end.

So my question is, if I purchase an Apple TV (no idea which one; maybe 4 or 4K), will I be able to get a good Kodi version? Or I'll still be plagued by videos not playing, corrupted images, codec problems, crashes and so?

Thanks, have a nice day,
Lock
You will be plagued by installing it every week because of apple sigining policy - I think appletv is not for you ... why not bying raspberry pi 3?
(2017-11-06, 09:17)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]You will be plagued by installing it every week because of apple sigining policy - I think appletv is not for you ... why not bying raspberry pi 3?

Yes, I know about that but I'm an iOS developer so I think (not sure but so I read somewhere) I can use my dev account to make the installation last a bit longer.

I also considered alternatives but since I'm looking for a simple box with a good remote and (relatively) good services, even for other media like Netflix or so, I was thinking to get a cheap (maybe used) ATV for my living room.

Of course only if the iOS version of Kodi is reliable enough. Smile
(2017-11-06, 21:12)Lock Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-06, 09:17)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]You will be plagued by installing it every week because of apple sigining policy - I think appletv is not for you ... why not bying raspberry pi 3?

Yes, I know about that but I'm an iOS developer so I think (not sure but so I read somewhere) I can use my dev account to make the installation last a bit longer.

I also considered alternatives but since I'm looking for a simple box with a good remote and (relatively) good services, even for other media like Netflix or so, I was thinking to get a cheap (maybe used) ATV for my living room.

Of course only if the iOS version of Kodi is reliable enough. Smile

After trying out the firestick 2 and the new firetv 4kHDR, i found the kodi experience on Apple TV 4 to be much better. I have returned my fire tvs and plan to buy a apple tv 4 for my second TV. Apple remote is better since it has volume control for TV. Only issue is that they do not have a Amazon prime video app for the apple tv yet.

Installing Kodi on the apple TV is very easy if you are apple developer. just follow the instructions in the first post of this thread https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=245978
Many thanks quayrd. Smile
(2017-11-07, 20:12)Lock Wrote: [ -> ]Many thanks quayrd. Smile

Did it work?
(2017-11-10, 03:18)quayrd Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-07, 20:12)Lock Wrote: [ -> ]Many thanks quayrd. Smile

Did it work?

Well, I still don’t have an Apple TV, but it was an useful info. Smile
It might be possible to support auto switching frame rate in Kodi in the future for Apple TV 4K: Apple TV 4K 24hz/HDR10/Dolby Vision auto switching *confirmed*

For the old Apple TV 4 the frame rate is locked to either 50Hz or 60Hz which will result in jitter for 24p movies and also 25/30p content depending on your setting. If you're lucky and your not sensitive to it you might not notice the jitter or you have a TV set that is able to handle it for you. My TV is able to handle 24p content alright with the frame rate set to 60Hz, but then 25p will jitter, if I change to 50Hz it's the reversed. I live in a 25p country so I watch an equal amount of 24p and 25p content and I'm also rather sensitive to jitter, so for me the fixed frame rate is an issue. 

I've also experienced random choppy playback: ATV4 Playback is sometimes choppy?

I've experienced it on all ATV4 Kodi versions I've tested, on multiple TV sets and on multiple ATV4 devices using a wired network and the NFS protocol. I have never seen anyone else report the same issue so I'm not sure what to make of that, if it's my TVs, my network or ATV Kodi itself.

But with all that said, I think the benefits of Kodi on Apple TV outweighs any cons I can think of. Sure, the jitter and choppiness is annoying as f*** but the ease of use, the user interface and the remote (which some hate), quick switching between app etc. is just so much better than anything else that I've tested. I mean, when both my girlfriend and my four year old kid can use it without complaining or needing me to assist, then it works pretty okay. Wink
I've used Kodi since the XBMC days on the original Xbox, and have had Kodi installed on a Mac Mini and also on a SFF PC running both Windows and Ubuntu Linux, and even if the playback was better everything around it wasn't even close to what I get with ATV today. Also, I would still use and own ATV without Kodi since I'm using it for my IPTV service, various streaming services and AirPlay and I wouldn't want another device connected to the TV just for Kodi.

My only real concern I have with Kodi on ATV is the whole "it's not official" and "it might not get future updates" that puts a gloom over it since Kodi on ATV is the best thing since sliced bread.