Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: UserData mapping error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Seems that in the newer builds when you try to start xbmc you get a black screen. A peek at the log shows it is looking for /xbmc/userdata/ and it can't find it so it errors. However, a quick rename of UserData to userdata and xbmc starts but runs into errors later, such as looking for playlists in UserData and having only userdata. I noticed this is revison 12478 which is after revision "12472 removed: Don't fix case on userdata folder, it's fixed in source."

Just thought someone should know. Cheers.
I think this is due to the way I backup files from a previous build. You should only have to manually rename once. You'll have to remake or edit any playlists that have absolute paths.
Nah he is right if you try and enter the Playlist node in the music library it looks to the uppercase version of UserData and not all lower case
Ok turns out profiles.xml and guisettings.xml need updateing because they hold the old path instead of the new so its not a bug for new users just old ones
Jezz_X Wrote:Ok turns out profiles.xml and guisettings.xml need updateing because they hold the old path instead of the new so its not a bug for new users just old ones

Yah, seeing it here too - SVN is pointing to an older data directory than before.
If you're having this problem and can't be arsed to fix it manually, just wipe your BUILD and BUILD.bak dirs and rerun build.sh. Be aware you'll LOSE your dbs and any guisettings.

EDIT: Scratch that, just do as Jezz_X says and delete BUILD/userdata/guisettings.xml and BUILD/system/profiles.xml . Also make sure you haven't run the binary from the source tree by making sure XBMC/system/profiles.xml doesn't exist.
I made a symbolic link from UserData to userdata which seems to work but is probably just a temporary fix. Does build.sh need updated to copy the "userdata" directory instead of "UserData"?
averylinden Wrote:I made a symbolic link from UserData to userdata which seems to work but is probably just a temporary fix. Does build.sh need updated to copy the "userdata" directory instead of "UserData"?

It allready is the problem is the old Uppercase version is saved in those 2 files I said if you start from scratch its not an issue or you can just delete those 2 files from your build dir and let xbmc recreate them with the proper stuff
althekiller Wrote:If you're having this problem and can't be arsed to fix it manually, just wipe your BUILD and BUILD.bak dirs and rerun build.sh. Be aware you'll LOSE your dbs and any guisettings.

Ah, a fix! Well sorta'. Was that so hard to do? Something like yes it's broke do x, y, Z, and it's fixed would've been helpful. I've had both a Userdata and a userdata directory forever and it's not ever been clear to me where data was coming from or supposed to be coming from - I thought from BUILD/userdata.

For those trying to puzzle this out, I copied XBMC/BUILD/userdata to another directory, blew away BUILD and BUILD.bak, updated from SVN. Copied back BUILD/userdata. I have old data. I restored the old BUILD/Userdata from Trash, renamed BUILD/userdata to userdata.old, renamed Userdata to userdata and now XBMC starts with a black box I can't kill and nothing else.

That "arsed enough" for you? Off to reboot and mow the lawn now, hope others have better success.

Edit: Data recovered from the userdata directory setup for the packaged version.
Forever? It's only been changed for ~3days.

And by fix it manually I meant to go through the files and replace any instances of "UserData" with "userdata"
This redirection error may have only been here for 3 days (I only saw it for a day) but I've had an uppercase Userdata for quite a bit longer. Possibly (likely I'd say) originally copied from my XBOX but it's persisted for quite some time. As for the fix, sorry but no you weren't clear . But your edit, probably made while I was already trying to fix my install, ought to help others if anyone else ran into this.