Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Issues with 5.1 Surround Audio and Kodi 17.5. Is SPMC my only option?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all -

So I currently run Kodi 17.5 on an NVidia Shield. I have a lot of media that is 5.1 surround (of various codecs - all of which my AV receiver supports). I've tried every combination of NVidia Shield and Kodi settings, and can't get 5.1 passthrough to work. Is it possible?

I've instead been able to get it to work in SPMC by following this: https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki/Reco...-Receivers

Just let me know if there is anything I can do in Kodi 17.5 to get proper 5.1 passthrough. And if not, is this a planned feature in Kodi 18? I'd hate to switch to SPMC for just this one issue.
It's not a planned feature cause it already works just fine
(2017-11-15, 20:22)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]It's not a planned feature cause it already works just fine

Can you elaborate? My AV receiver continues to say PCM on it, instead of the various codecs. In addition, my 5.1 audio plays the dialog out of all 5 channels - and not just the center speaker as it should.

By using SPMC and following that github link, I've been able to get 5.1 audio playing properly, with the right codecs showing on my AV receiver.

Can you point me to the equivalent instructions on getting 5.1 audio working in Kodi Android? (I.e. Dialog playing only on the center channel, and the codec being properly recognized on the AV receiver).
You are very late to the whining party: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735
(2017-11-15, 20:50)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]You are very late to the whining party: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735
Holy shit. Are you and Martijn representative of all Kodi developers in terms of the terrible attitude towards your user base? Where in my posts did I whine? I simply stated a new to me issue that I encountered since I recently added a 5.1 speaker system to my setup. Sorry I didn't buy a 5.1 setup earlier and complain sooner? Is this not the support forum where users can request assistance when they encounter an issue?

I'll ask my question once more:
Does there exist somewhere an instruction-set on how I can get my audio adjusted inside Kodi v17.5 on Android (an NVidia Shield, specifically) to allow for proper 5.1 playback on my AV receiver? Or is it not currently feasible or planned in Kodi (17.5 or otherwise)? If there are instructions or information, can you kindly point me to it?

(I'll dig into your above link, but I'm unclear if that's just describing the reasoning for not having the capability anymore, or if it will lead me to the right audio setting adjustments I need to make in v17.5 to get it to work.)
Holy shit are you the prime example of a user coming to complain shit doesn't work and we need to implement it as a feature while shit has properly worked for years already except for you?

Seriously where did I give a terrible attitude? Just because I stated it already worked for a long time?

Now to cut the crap.
Check your settings again. Set them to expert. Check your cabling cause it has worked for a long time already for many users.

I have a shield since before it even was available to the public. It has worked for me ever since it was added in v16 with my onkyo 646 avr including ATMOS and whatever it supports.
(2017-11-15, 22:45)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Holy shit are you the prime example of a user coming to complain shit doesn't work and we need to implement it as a feature while shit has properly worked for years already except for you?

Seriously where did I give a terrible attitude? Just because I stayed it already worked for a long time?

Now to cut the crap.
Check your settings again. Set them to expert. Check your cabling cause it has worked for a long time already for many users.

I have a shield since before it even was available to the public. It has worked for me ever since it was added in v16 with my onkyo 646 avr.

Again, I'm in a SUPPORT forum requesting some SUPPORT. Why do you both keep saying I'm complaining and whining? I'm simply requesting assistance.

Your first post was more of a deflection than an answer to my question. Fritsch's was straight up rude. I don't mean to cause shit with you two and would like to keep things on topic, but I hope you realize how aggressive your initial comments come off to people sometimes. Even if that's not your intention.

I have settings set to expert, and I see "android_audio track" greyed out at the top, and a subheader of "Audio Passthrough" but no settings within it that I can toggle. As I peer through the sticky link and the links it contains, I'm seeing a suggestion of disabling video sync? Maybe that will unlock my passthrough options? I'll be home in an hour when I can test.
Yes you need to disable sync to display cause you cannot use both at same time
I did not say you are whyning. But I said you are late to join the whining party. Your box does not support passthrough via the official android API, which is documented in the thread I linked. Also in that thread links to a version to restore the Jarvis behaviour for those users that know that they might kill their ears. Those "shitty builds" can be download after having understood what they do.

Edit: Just read that you use a shield. Therefore post your Debug Log please. The only way I can think of PT not being available is, that some analog heaphones are plugged in - but the Debug Log will tell.
So I went into System > Audio, and reset all settings back to default. Then I found that passthrough could be checked and everything works great now. All is good, thanks.