Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Macbook 2160P stuttering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I have a Macbook Pro Retina mid 2015 and tried watch a 2160P-movie in Kodi the other day. It worked fine for a couple of second but then started stuttering really bad. The movie codec is HEVC. Does anybody know if the hardware in the 2015-macbook is the problem? 

Macbook Pro
MacOS Sierre
Intel core I7 2,5 ghz
16 gb 1600 hmm ddr3
Graphic: AMD Radeon R9 M370X / Intel iris Pro 1536 mb
It's possible that are you trying to view a 10-bit HEVC video, and that the AMD R9 is not really fit for that type of video. Press on the letter 'o' during video play and see if the video is HW hardware supported or SW software. Also, a debug log (wiki) would be nice.
It doesn’t support hardware decoding of HEVC. You probably need a 4-core 3+ ghz cpu to decode that properly.
Oh I see. I pressed o and the information said, video decoder: ff-hevc (SW).

Sorry if i'm not following you but Klojum thinks it's the AMD R9 thats the problem and Soli thinks it's the processor, right?

Edit: I found this, don't know if it's correct but it seems logic...

Since neither the Iris Pro nor the Radeon R9 have an integrated HEVC/H.265 decoder, the corresponding videos have to be rendered by the CPU. The powerful quad-core manages even 4K videos smoothly depending on the bitrate, but this solution is certainly not very efficient and can also result in a very audible fan noise. Ordinary H.264 videos are not affected by this.