Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Duplicate TV shows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Hope you can help. I have my TV shows in two folders, so I can add them as two separate sources.

The issue is where I have a TV show that appears in both sources, but the episodes are not duplicated.

E.g. dir1/tv shows 2016/arrow/season 1/....
Dir2/tv shows 2017/arrow/ season 2/....

Arrow will then appear twice in the library.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?
(2017-11-21, 18:24)Selig Wrote: [ -> ]E.g. dir1/tv shows 2016/arrow/season 1/....
Sorry, but to me this is the most unlogical way to set up your folders.
It's best to stick to the naming convention as per http://kodi.wiki/view/naming_video_files...ows#Simple

If you must use different sources (because of multiple external drives for example), keep all episodes of a TV show on 1 drive.
(2017-11-21, 18:55)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-21, 18:24)Selig Wrote: [ -> ]E.g. dir1/tv shows 2016/arrow/season 1/....
Sorry, but to me this is the most unlogical way to set up your folders.
It's best to stick to the naming convention as per http://kodi.wiki/view/naming_video_files...ows#Simple

If you must use different sources (because of multiple external drives for example), keep all episodes of a TV show on 1 drive.

Ok, I was trying to keep the question simple.

Nothing wrong with the naming convention used everything is setup as recommended.

I have a large collection of media and I have it backed up to a remote site. Size limitations restrict to 4tb per storage. I have a collection of 250 plus shows 13000 episodes. Approx 5TB of space.

When this reached 4tb, I renamed the tv folder to “tv shows to date” and created a new folder “tv shows from date” so all the episodes saved at the remote site are in two folders. With the same date driven Id.

At my location I have both of these folders on one hard drive 6TB. E/tv shows/tv shows from date & ../tv shows to date.

Within each there are duplicate shows, as new seasons are released. U should not need to shuffle files around to try and keep all the seasons of a show on the same physical media.

When I add the E/tv shows directory as the source, Kodi will only read
E/tv shows/tv shows from.
And does not scan
E/tv shows/tv shows to

When I add each folder as a separate source, the number is shows increases from approx 250 to 300

So irrespective of how media is stored or named, each tv show is unique, and every episode is unique. So why does Kodi display duplicate shows and is there a way to have the shows merged in the user interface?

Thanks for all your help. Cheers
Hello @Selig

I have done the same for two TV Shows, where one drive has reached capacity and ongoing shows have a second directory on the new drive. I am not experiencing the issues you describe.

You should have two separate sources as follows...
E/tv shows/tv shows from, and
E/tv shows/tv shows to

Could you set it up that way. I am guessing that with all your fiddling to try to get it to work, you have leftover entries in the database that need to be removed.

Can you run a Clean Database from the Settings menu.

If you are still left with duplicated episodes, can you check the address of the duplicates to see where they are coming from as shown in the image below. That might give you the clue to fix the problem. If you still have issues with it, let us know.

Of course I am assuming the TV Shows are duplicated, not the episodes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had cleaned the database after removing the sources before. Have run it again and it appears to be the same.

E.g. Arrow is displayed twice. First entry contains seasons 1-4 complete
Second entry. Season 5. Same story with 23 other shows.

Only duplicate shows not episodes. Path of files is correctly displayed.
Oh, right, the TV Show is the duplicate, not the Episodes.

You will need to provide a debug log. The instructions are in my signature. Use the Basic method. Once you have enabled debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging, restart Kodi then replicate the problem. In your case run an Update Library. Once done upload to pastebin and link back here. Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs

---Edit---

Can you pick one duplicate TV Show and remove both entries from the library, then run a Clean Library, then perform the above so it rescrapes the show.
To reduce the size of the log file, I have uninstalled and cleared all kodi settings and data and run a clean install of Kodi 17.6.
Created two sample source directories. /TV Shows To/ and /TV Shows From/

both only contain TV show Arrow. 
../TV Shows To/ contains seasons 1-4.
../TV Shows From/ contains seasons 5-6

added these sources into kodi and the show Arrow appears twice in the list of shows.

Attached a log using the Kodi log file uploader
url - http://ix.io/FHP
Hi Selig

Can you check your link. It is just a dead page
Link fixed (it's ix.io not ix.ix)
sorry for the typo on the link. looks like the issue is to do with the nfo files. 

where both storage locations have an nfo file, or neither has the nfo file. the show is not duplicated within kodi.

For shows where the nfo file exists only in one storage location, then it is duplicated.

I have recreated the nfo files and they are not duplicating anymore.

Thanks for your help.
Smile
Great that you solved it. It was the next thing I was going to ask for... the nfo files, and if they were in both folders.

Enjoy Smile