Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playing 4k on a AFTV Box 2nd gen?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I currently have 16.1 running on an AFTV box (2nd gen). The Kodi system info says it is running at 1080p.

There is no option to change the resolution in Kodi's video output settings. The AFTV settings are set to "Auto (up to 4k Ultra HD)" - the highest manual option is 1080p.

I assume kodi is not auto switching to 4k for 4k content.  (I just got a 4K display and want to start with some 4K content - only local, I don't use Kodi for any kind of streaming.)

Am I overlooking something? Would Kodi 17 be able to do this?

I tried MrMC and it has the option in output settings for 4K, but the inability to customize the home menus might be a deal breaker.

EDIT: Using the test files mentioned below, it is NOT outputting at 4k. I would imagine Kodi 17.6 would be my best bet, but would rather not hassle if it doesn't help. (For some reason, I am having a hard time searching for an answer, search terms bring up a lot unrelated info.)

EDIT 2: Some posts seem to indicate this AFTV only supports switching resolutions for content which even Kodi 17.6 does not support. I installed SPMC and was able to set the resolution to 4K and confirm with the test file. The only "downside" might be that it then upscales all 1080p content - it looks fine to me - and the interface is slightly more laggy. Hopefully this helps anyone else investigating.