Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Live TV Stability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a general comment/observation:

I'm running Kodi Krypton and Jarvis on Raspberry Pi systems connected to a windows 10 back end NextPVR server.
My wife has grown totally frustrated with Krypton because live TV freezes and hangs for no apparent reason while watching live TV, which spoils the TV watching experience.
As a result, she now prefers to use Jarvis which plays the same TV channel she was watching under Krypton without a single hickup.

I know that the video playback section of Kodi has been re-written for Krypton to implement improvements, but the ability to handle less than perfect live TV streams does not appear to be as robust and tolerant as the old code found in Jarvis.
I run Kodi V18 alpha with vnsi on a Linux X11 (Intel) system. Regarding video playback of life tv this is the most stable version ever. Why?: I am the main developer for video player and streaming related PVR api functions. If there is an issue in generic code or the refernce implementation, vnsi, I fix it.
Kodi has so many ports (different platforms) and addons. Before you generalise an issue you should make sure that the issue is not caused by your addon of choice of some platform specific issue.
I'm using the same addons on both systems and both systems use the same back end server. If one system freezes and pauses and the other doesn't under the same circumstances, that's a significant observation.

I've also noticed subtle differences between Jarvis and Krypton when it comes to streaming. For example, if a video I'm streaming is 5 minutes long and I skip past the end, Jarvis will allow me to move back to a valid time less than 5 minutes and resume playback. Krypton does not and I have to hit stop and restart the video.

When it comes to imperfect live TV video streams, even Jarvis has had some problems handling disrupted streams. But my wife's experience was virtually a side be side comparison that showed real differences in behavior between the two systems in the same time frame.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2
(2017-11-27, 16:30)jmooremcc Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using the same addons on both systems and both systems use the same back end server. If one system freezes and pauses and the other doesn't under the same circumstances, that's a significant observation.

I've also noticed subtle differences between Jarvis and Krypton when it comes to streaming. For example, if a video I'm streaming is 5 minutes long and I skip past the end, Jarvis will allow me to move back to a valid time less than 5 minutes and resume playback. Krypton does not and I have to hit stop and restart the video.

When it comes to imperfect live TV video streams, even Jarvis has had some problems handling disrupted streams. But my wife's experience was virtually a side be side comparison that showed real differences in behavior between the two systems in the same time frame.

i believe what  FernetMenta was suggesting is that it may be your TV Backend/Addon of choice rather than what version of Kodi you are using, obviously things change between versions and it up to the Addon maintainer to Fix. I use Tvheadend and this has worked fine for both Jarvis, Krypton, i'm now running v18 Alpha on both Libreelec and Android and it's amazingly stable. I know the NextPR addon is pretty well supported, it may well be worth sending over a log for someone to have a look over on the Next PVR forum or even the sub forum.
As a diagnostician, you look for differences and similarities between 2 systems. The back end server is the same for both so that being a contributing factor is low. My understanding is that the NextPVR add-on is essentially the same for both Krypton and Jarvis so the probability of that being a factor is also low. So what has changed between the two versions?

The Jarvis video player may have been a nightmare from a design perspective but it had matured as problems were addressed and became more stable and more reliable over time. The rewritten video player code for Krypton has to go through a similar process before it becomes, relatively speaking, bullet proof. Just like a fine wine, some things need more time to mature and software systems are no different. After all, they are both created by fallible human beings which means perfection takes a lot of time and effort to achieve.

My expectation is that Kodi behave much like a regular TV set and quickly recover from any anomaly that disrupts the live TV signal.

(2017-11-29, 03:39)jmooremcc Wrote: [ -> ]As a diagnostician, you look for differences and similarities between 2 systems. The back end server is the same for both so that being a contributing factor is low. My understanding is that the NextPVR add-on is essentially the same for both Krypton and Jarvis so the probability of that being a factor is also low. So what has changed between the two versions?

The Jarvis video player may have been a nightmare from a design perspective but it had matured as problems were addressed and became more stable and more reliable over time. The rewritten video player code for Krypton has to go through a similar process before it becomes, relatively speaking, bullet proof. Just like a fine wine, some things need more time to mature and software systems are no different. After all, they are both created by fallible human beings which means perfection takes a lot of time and effort to achieve.

My expectation is that Kodi behave much like a regular TV set and quickly recover from any anomaly that disrupts the live TV signal.

Your assumptions are wrong. First, who that that video player is a rewrite? That is nonsense.
PVR API has changed many times and if addon maintainers do not adapt properly things become worse. 
For your expectation you have obviously chosen the wrong addon. Addons like NextPVR delegate the entire handling of the stream to generic functions that are not optimized for playback of TV streams. Each layer provides APIs for addons to hook in. VNSI and tv headend hook into a layer where they can meet your expextations much better. I can pull the sat cable from my system, the picture will freeze and as soon as I replug, it continues again.
Timeshift mode has always been problematic for me  with NextPVR and it is worse since Kodi doesn't even support the NextPVR style time shifiting as reported here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=314006  The protocol has never been updated.  For live tv stability I'd recommend you turn off NextPVR's timeshifting.

Martin