Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Windows Media Player sharing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just noticed something interesting. I'm running Vista and in the tray I've got a notification that a "Windows Media Player" has been found. This has usually been popping up because it senses the woman's computer but today when I decided to poke at it I find that it's detecting my XBMC Linux install! I know that there's UPNP support on the XBOX port but this was a pleasant surprise. I'll admit I've never fooled with this before as I keep nothing in my WMP library but still pretty kewl that Vista is spotting it as a valid player. Nice!Nod Anyone played with it?
Not really, I don't see any reason to use that annoying upnp stuff when XBMC can just add a SMB mount and be done with it.
radalpho I think his point was that WMP in vista can see his XBMC install and list/play its files of his linux box because XBMC has a upnp server as well
Oh, that's pretty cool then.

Also "radalpho" is rockin'!
Heh, that's actually a good question. The little dialog that popped up made it look like XBMC wanted to access my Vista WMP library, not that WMP wanted to access the Linux box. Maybe it would go both ways but I've honestly not tinkered with it.

I'm pretty much with Rodalpho in that I do not much like UPNP media serving but the fact that it seemed to be working when I didn't recall seeing it before was neat. My other Vista box hasn't popped the same dialog for some reason but it's up online far less so maybe it will show later and I can explore it more. Once I opened the dialog on *this* machine and told it that I would share my library it went away. <shrug> I have nothing in WMP's library presently, it's all shared via SMB off my NAS. I do know some that use UPNP, I've just not ever had great luck - XBMC proper is way better Wink