Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Using Kodi 17 with Shield remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.  Just installed an nVidia Shield TV (2017 16GB) with remote only (no controller), and installed Kodi 17.6 from the store.  I have used Kodi in the past, but not for a long time.  Kodi on the Shield starts fine, but I cannot figure out how to do anything with it!  It begins by saying the library is empty, and to add files.  I can browse to the movie directory on my NAS, which shows the list of movies.  But once there, there doesn't seem to be any way to add to the library.  (I can select a movie, and it will play.)

The Shield remote has only Up/Down/Left/Right/Select/Back buttons available.  (There is a Home button, which exits Kodi right back to the Shield home screen.)  Long press of those buttons does nothing.  So, how does one use Kodi with only this remote?

Please don't say "use a different remote."  It is my full intention to install a FLIRC, and to use my URC MX-780 and MX-850 remotes.  But first, I must get Kodi set up and become familiar with it and its available keystrokes.  Any help appreciated.
Thanks, but could you be a little more specific?

Consider the question like this:  How does a brand-new user on a Shield, control Kodi using only the Shield remote?  I'm assuming that since the Shield and Kodi together are so popular, that there must be a simple way for a new user to get started.  Remember, I have no knowledge of any way to edit files on the Shield, so if that is a required step, then please show how that is done.
(2017-11-27, 23:16)Positron Wrote: [ -> ]It begins by saying the library is empty, and to add files.  I can browse to the movie directory on my NAS, which shows the list of movies.  But once there, there doesn't seem to be any way to add to the library.  (I can select a movie, and it will play.)
I was answering the above question. I don't have a Shield, so you will have to wait for others to respond.
(2017-11-28, 02:05)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-27, 23:16)Positron Wrote: [ -> ]It begins by saying the library is empty, and to add files.  I can browse to the movie directory on my NAS, which shows the list of movies.  But once there, there doesn't seem to be any way to add to the library.  (I can select a movie, and it will play.)
I was answering the above question. I don't have a Shield, so you will have to wait for others to respond.  
 Gotcha.  From the wiki, it appears that one should use the context menu at that point, but the question that arises is, how to bring up the context menu?  Apparently, the answer is to long-press the Select/OK button.  But the problem is that long-presses, either of single buttons or button combinations, do nothing on the Shield remote (this has also been noted on youtube.)  I wonder if anyone has ever actually setup and used Kodi on Shield with only the Shield remote?

Hopefully someone else will respond.
(2017-11-28, 02:19)Positron Wrote: [ -> ] Gotcha.  From the wiki, it appears that one should use the context menu at that point, but the question that arises is, how to bring up the context menu?  Apparently, the answer is to long-press the Select/OK button.  But the problem is that long-presses, either of single buttons or button combinations, do nothing on the Shield remote (this has also been noted on youtube.)  I wonder if anyone has ever actually setup and used Kodi on Shield with only the Shield remote?

Long pressing the Shield remote (select) or "A" on the controller to bring up the context menu most certainly does work.

There is nothing to set up, it should just work.
(2017-11-28, 02:43)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-28, 02:19)Positron Wrote: [ -> ] Gotcha.  From the wiki, it appears that one should use the context menu at that point, but the question that arises is, how to bring up the context menu?  Apparently, the answer is to long-press the Select/OK button.  But the problem is that long-presses, either of single buttons or button combinations, do nothing on the Shield remote (this has also been noted on youtube.)  I wonder if anyone has ever actually setup and used Kodi on Shield with only the Shield remote?

Long pressing the Shield remote (select) or "A" on the controller to bring up the context menu most certainly does work.

There is nothing to set up, it should just work. 
 When I set up the Shield TV, it immediately updated to 6.2, and the remote updated to 1.25.  Honestly, long-pressing the Shield remote Select button does not bring up the context menu, nor do anything else in Kodi; but it does work in Shield home screen.  Defective hardware?  Broken by update?  Other?
Can't tell you, but all 3 of my Shield remotes work and just did a factory reset on one.  Plus, haven't seen anyone else complaining about it not working.

If it's not working you need to, at the least, post a Debug log (wiki).
(2017-11-27, 23:16)Positron Wrote: [ -> ]Hi.  Just installed an nVidia Shield TV (2017 16GB) with remote only (no controller), and installed Kodi 17.6 from the store.  I have used Kodi in the past, but not for a long time.  Kodi on the Shield starts fine, but I cannot figure out how to do anything with it!  It begins by saying the library is empty, and to add files.  I can browse to the movie directory on my NAS, which shows the list of movies.  But once there, there doesn't seem to be any way to add to the library.  (I can select a movie, and it will play.)

So, I can also confirm that it works... quick question, are you long-pressing the "OK"/ Select (central circle) while selecting a movie from the list of movies, or while selecting the directory that has all movies?

If you have selected the directory, long-pressing the OK should open the context menu with the option of "scan items to library"
(2017-11-28, 09:28)Maxi Wrote: [ -> ]So, I can also confirm that it works... quick question, are you long-pressing the "OK"/ Select (central circle) while selecting a movie from the list of movies, or while selecting the directory that has all movies?

If you have selected the directory, long-pressing the OK should open the context menu with the option of "scan items to library" 
Thank you!  Yes, I was inside the Movie directory.  When selecting the Movie directory itself, the long-press did indeed work Nod !  Obvious newbie here.

So I added the movies to the library, then tried playing a few, and noticed a few odd things:

1.  Every movie I selected gave the two counter-spinning wheels at screen centre for a very long time (minutes.)  [All my movies are full-DVD .iso rips.]  Is this normal?

2.  The movies started playing with French subtitles!  In Kodi settings, I had selected English I believe (or possibly Default); can't remember the exact wording.  So I used Kodi's control-bar subtitle menu to select CC, since there was no English setting, only CC, Spanish, and French.  With CC selected, I had English subtitles, but they were larger than the others.  Next, I went to the DVD menu to look for subtitles, and the movie (Antitrust) had only Spanish and French subtitles!  So in Kodi, where were the English subtitles coming from?

3.  Related to 2 above; when showing Spanish or French subtitles (the ones on the DVD), the subtitles themselves appeared and disappeared pretty much in sync with the audio.  But when showing English subtitles, whose source I don't know, the subtitles would appear at the appropriate time, but would never disappear until replaced by another subtitle.  So at the end of a conversation, the last subtitle shown, would remain on the screen indefinitely, even through long scenes without dialog, until replaced by a new subtitle when the dialog resumed.

P.S. If these questions should be placed in new threads, please let me know.
(2017-11-29, 01:03)Positron Wrote: [ -> ]1.  Every movie I selected gave the two counter-spinning wheels at screen centre for a very long time (minutes.)  [All my movies are full-DVD .iso rips.]  Is this normal?
Certainly does not sound normal. Where are your media files saved? Local HDD, NAS, Cloud?

(2017-11-29, 01:03)Positron Wrote: [ -> ]2.  The movies started playing with French subtitles!  In Kodi settings, I had selected English I believe (or possibly Default); can't remember the exact wording.  So I used Kodi's control-bar subtitle menu to select CC, since there was no English setting, only CC, Spanish, and French.  With CC selected, I had English subtitles, but they were larger than the others.  Next, I went to the DVD menu to look for subtitles, and the movie (Antitrust) had only Spanish and French subtitles!  So in Kodi, where were the English subtitles coming from?
Do you want subtitles? If not, then just disable them. For your unknown subtitles, have you set up an online subtitle downloader that you may have forgotten about?... http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Player/Language
(2017-11-29, 01:14)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-29, 01:03)Positron Wrote: [ -> ]1.  Every movie I selected gave the two counter-spinning wheels at screen centre for a very long time (minutes.)  [All my movies are full-DVD .iso rips.]  Is this normal?
Certainly does not sound normal. Where are your media files saved? Local HDD, NAS, Cloud?     
They are all stored on a Synology NAS on the local network.  Kodi couldn't access the NAS until I mounted it in Shield settings; after that, no problem.  [Incidentally, I loaded VLC on the Shield, and it cannot access the NAS via SMB (it can do so via DLNA), even though the NAS is mounted on the Shield, and even when providing username/password.  Have no idea what's up with that.]

When I go to a movie that I have already accessed (such as re-entering Antitrust) it is much quicker.  But will have to see whether the long delay returns after restarting the Shield.

(2017-11-29, 01:14)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-29, 01:03)Positron Wrote: [ -> ]2.  The movies started playing with French subtitles!  In Kodi settings, I had selected English I believe (or possibly Default); can't remember the exact wording.  So I used Kodi's control-bar subtitle menu to select CC, since there was no English setting, only CC, Spanish, and French.  With CC selected, I had English subtitles, but they were larger than the others.  Next, I went to the DVD menu to look for subtitles, and the movie (Antitrust) had only Spanish and French subtitles!  So in Kodi, where were the English subtitles coming from?
Do you want subtitles? If not, then just disable them. For your unknown subtitles, have you set up an online subtitle downloader that you may have forgotten about?... http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Player/Language    
Yes, I wish to have English subtitles.  But no, I did not set up any subtitle downloader.  Does Kodi have a default downloader?
1. You will need to provide a debug log. The instructions are in my signature. Use the Basic method. Once you have enabled debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging, restart Kodi then replicate the problem. In your case, try to play the movie and let it play a few minutes. Once done upload to pastebin and link back here. Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs

2. If you go to that Settings page, you will see the options Default TV show/Movie service. Add the subtitle service from there using the Get More button which downloads from the Kodi repository. Maybe check your media files with MediaInfo... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid1707519 Your English subtitles must be coming from somewhere. Either they are embedded in the movie file or saved in a file alongside your movie file. You have already confirmed you don't have a subtitle downloader setup.
So, I uninstalled and then reinstalled Kodi on the Shield, and it is better--there is now only a short delay when starting a movie.
(2017-12-05, 01:02)Positron Wrote: [ -> ]So, I uninstalled and then reinstalled Kodi on the Shield, and it is better--there is now only a short delay when starting a movie.

I came looking for how to turn off subtitles on a 2019 Shield with the standard remote and this was the closest thread I could find.  What I did to solve the problem, in case it's of any use to anyone else, was to:

1. Install the Keymap Editor add-on
2. Run the Keymap editor, chose Playback, Fullscreen, Menu OSD, and mapped that to the "OK" button (as the OK button by default only seemed to pause/play the film, and the 2019 Shield that I have already has a dedicated button for that).

Now, when a film is playing, pressing the central/OK button, you get the on screen display/menu, from there you can choose whichever sub-menu you want, in my/this case, the settings menu and from in there, the subtitles menu.

HTH someone!

Cheers,

Matt.