Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: IPTV simple client m3u and xml?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I configured the IPTV simple client with both the m3u playlist url and EPG xml url provided by my provider. Should I use both? What exactly is the difference? This process works fine, I even added a new group and added channels to it, but when kodi restarts, it removes my added group. What gives?

Gary
Yes, you use both.
m3u = channels
epg.xml = guide

what gives = no idea without a log.
(2017-11-28, 18:16)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, you use both.
m3u = channels
epg.xml = guide

what gives = no idea without a log.
thanks. so, how does this work, generally? every time kodi is restarted, the channel list and guide are refreshed?

does this sound right?

epg = what is on the channels and at what time/date.
m3u = channel list.
Yep, if I remember rightly IPTVsimple reads the .m3u and epg when it starts up.  When I've made changes in the past I've done it by editing the .m3u file directly.
why would you change the m3u ? isn't that like writing in channels to a TV guide hardcopy by hand?
(2017-11-28, 19:11)music_lover Wrote: [ -> ]why would you change the m3u ? isn't that like writing in channels to a TV guide hardcopy by hand?
Because changing the .m3u changes what kodi reads - eg change the channel group in the .m3u and that's reflected in pvr.iptvsimple.  I'm not saying that's the only way, I'm saying that's the method I've used.
Edit:  I'd think cutting and pasting to an .m3u (or any) file would be way faster than doing something in the gui.
so you never use the remote source?
When I've wanted to make changes in the past I've done it by downloading the .m3u to a local folder and editing it.  When I haven't wanted to make changes I've (sometimes) used a remote .m3u.  I'm not sure how that's relevant to your situation though.
i'm just learning the options...I can see the value of editing the .m3u, you never lose your settings cause it's what kodi reads. that would solve my erasing of the custom group I keep losing.

and you can also keep alternate versions.