Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: When switching to secondar HDMI display GUI has corrupted graphics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

When I set Kodi to use my secondary display it's GUI becomes corrupted. GUI elements turn white and there are other graphics corruption (see screenshots). The secondary display is a connected using HDMI and is a flat screen TV. All other programs display OK on the HDMI display including things like the Window Manager as well as GLX Gears which displays 3D graphics properly. After the corruption if I switch Kodi back to the primary VGA display then the corruption remains.

I tried nightly just in case problem was already fixed but that started an entirely different issue (AFAIK) as I get a seg fault so I went back to stable.

Any help appreciated ! I already successfully tested my Android remote and have movies to watch so this should hopefully be the last step Smile

Kodi version: 17.6 Git:20121104-a9a7a20

Debug log: https://pastebin.com/zF28G239

Linux version:  Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful), 4.13.0-16-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 11 18:35:14 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Install method: As detailed on Kodi site, PPA, stable release.

Addon/skin: No extra addon's or skins have been added.

Hardware: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 610], Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU  Q9650 @ 3.00GHz.

Nvidia is using Nouveau driver on Xorg (X11).

Screenshots:

You need the nvidia binary drivers. We don't run on noveaou.
Thanks. That threw me as I've used Compiz with Nouveau before. What advanced graphics functions is Kodi using ?
(2017-11-29, 00:36)Michael Z Freeman Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. That threw me as I've used Compiz with Nouveau before. What advanced graphics functions is Kodi using ?
None. I don't think the issue is related to the driver. Somehow kodi seems to miss reloading skin with its textures. It was used to work but seems it got broken. I can test because I don't have the equipment.
(2017-11-29, 11:13)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-29, 00:36)Michael Z Freeman Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. That threw me as I've used Compiz with Nouveau before. What advanced graphics functions is Kodi using ?
None. I don't think the issue is related to the driver. Somehow kodi seems to miss reloading skin with its textures. It was used to work but seems it got broken. I can test because I don't have the equipment.    
 So I installed Nvidia driver (The Ubuntu way using "Software and Updates"). Confirmed Nvidia driver is loaded ...

xml:
MichaelZFreeman@linux-freeman-G41MT-S2PT ~
$ sudo lshw -c video
[sudo] password for MichaelZFreeman:
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: GF119 [GeForce GT 610]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       resources: irq:25 memory:fb000000-fbffffff memory:d0000000-d7ffffff memory:de000000-dfffffff ioport:cf00(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

Kodi still loads corrupted graphics on second HDMI screen (still displays OK on first).

So decided to completely blacklist the nouveau driver just in case of conflict. Did this but still the same problem.

So this is not a Nouveau problem ?

What's so special about my second HDMI output that would do this when Kodi displays perfectly on my first monitor ?

EDIT: Forgot to add that I tried both glxgears and Google Earth on my second monitor. They both display GUI and 3D graphics without any corruption.
(2017-11-29, 19:49)Michael Z Freeman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-29, 11:13)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]
 So I installed Nvidia driver (The Ubuntu way using "Software and Updates"). Confirmed Nvidia driver is loaded ...

xml:
$ sudo lshw -c video
  *-display                 
       resources: irq:25 memory:fb000000-fbffffff memory:d0000000-d7ffffff memory:de000000-dfffffff ioport:cf00(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

Kodi still loads corrupted graphics on second HDMI screen (still displays OK on first).

So decided to completely blacklist the nouveau driver just in case of conflict. Did this but still the same problem.

What's so special about my second HDMI output that would do this when Kodi displays perfectly on my first monitor ?

EDIT: Forgot to add that I tried both glxgears and Google Earth on my second monitor. They both display GUI and 3D graphics without any corruption. 

Could you post another Debug Log with the correct nvidia drivers installed, please?
(2017-11-29, 21:55)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-29, 19:49)Michael Z Freeman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-29, 11:13)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]None. I don't think the issue is related to the driver. Somehow kodi seems to miss reloading skin with its textures. It was used to work but seems it got broken. I can test because I don't have the equipment.     

xml:
$ sudo lshw -c video
  *-display                 

Could you post another Debug Log with the correct nvidia drivers installed, please? 
 OK, thanks. Here it is - https://pastebin.com/rytJJPy8
Could you just4fun do: sudo apt-get install openbox then log out of the desktop session and log into the openbox session? What happens if you start kodi from there? I want to rule out recent compiz updates :-)
(2017-11-29, 19:49)Michael Z Freeman Wrote: [ -> ]So this is not a Nouveau problem ?

Well, I gave you the answer. Can't do anything if you don't listen.
(2017-11-29, 22:52)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Could you just4fun do: sudo apt-get install openbox then log out of the desktop session and log into the openbox session? What happens if you start kodi from there? I want to rule out recent compiz updates :-)
 Hi, yes did that. Still the same. I already had Compiz turned off in MATE tweak so was not a surprise. I also switched to "no compositor" for Marco in MATE teak but Kodi still does the same thing.

EDIT: Got it !  I left it set to HDMI screen this time and when it started up next time on the HDMI screen without me switching it all the graphics are OK. So the problem and/or bug only happens when actually switching to another screen in the settings menu (display option at the top)
I changed thread tag to "Bug" as the issue occurs when actually switching to another display. Keeping the setting on selected display and then restarting solves the problem as long as Kodi is not switched between displays.
Maybe, and that's just a guess, you could try to map a button to F5 (if using a keyboard) and let that do a skin reload. For a how to read: http://kodi.wiki/view/First_skin_tutorial#Details

if you don't use a keyboard and using a real remote instead, try to map it on an unused button with the keymap editor addon.

Maybe that will workaround it as well.