Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Black Bars only with some films?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've used Kodi for a long time..and I've always had to change to 16:9 video mode with some films, but not all. Recently in the last year some films do not resize no matter if you select a new video (normal, wide zoom, 16:9 zoom etc but only work with a manual zoom)

Is this a bug in Kodi? Something to do with the video itself? It seems like the ratio of the video is not what it says (such as in this case 720p..but if I zoom in by the time the left/right edges are on the screen edge..I still have tons of bars..which makes me feel like it's not actually 1280x720?)

I've googled, tried to correct, searched..not having any luck.
The only thing I can think of is, that some of the 'experts' doing the video ripping intentionally add black space to the video to make up for the 16:9 aspect ratio. Those certain people apparently think there is no such thing as smartphones with 18:9 screens or 21:9 sized monitors/TVs. So whenever a 18:9 (some Netflix content) or 21:9 movie content comes along with forced black bars, there is hardly any zooming for adjustment possible.

On a 16:9 monitor/TV, zooming a 18:9 or 21:9 video to fullscreen will make you lose video content on both sides. That's your choice.
One of my monitors is a 21:9 model, so the 21:9 videos will play fine fullscreen, the 16:9 or 4:3 videos will have black bars on the left and right.