Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: on Raspberry Pi 3 - Music Playlists not working as expected
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New to this whole thing.  Have read the wiki but getting nowhere fast on a playlist problem I am experiencing.  Might just be being a bit thick / failing to understand.

Successfully upgraded to LibreELEC 8.2.1 and Kodi 17.6 in the hope that it would help get past the problems i am experiencing, but I appear to be no better off.

I am using the installation to play music only (with a add-on for YouTube that I use occasionally).  Can see (on the 7" touchscreen display) and play all albums, songs, etc.on the Pi, but playlists are proving a step too far.

All the music is on a WD NAS.  I have compiled some playlists using Windows Media Player 12.0.  The playlists reference mp3 files on the NAS and the playlists reside on the NAS.

Having read on the Wiki that .wpl are no longer supported by Kodi, I exported the .wpl as .m3u files.  Both work on WMP.  I have copied the .m3u files to \\RASPBERRYPI01\Userdata\playlists\music.  I can see the playlists on the Pi but none of them play, returning an error message that broadly reads, "Playback fail.  One or more of the items failed to play.  Check the log for more detail...."

I can also see the playlists on the NAS via the files option on the Pi.  Only one plays.  It is a .wpl file referencing six tracks.  The others reference from 31 to 116 tracks.  Some show a "Scanning media files" message when initially selected, but they all return the , "Playback fail" error message.

Now completely stumped.  Advice please.  I really don't want to have to compile the playlists in Kodi itself.
(2017-12-01, 02:08)RoberD21 Wrote: [ -> ]New to this whole thing.  Have read the wiki but getting nowhere fast on a playlist problem I am experiencing.  Might just be being a bit thick / failing to understand.

Successfully upgraded to LibreELEC 8.2.1 and Kodi 17.6 in the hope that it would help get past the problems i am experiencing, but I appear to be no better off.

I am using the installation to play music only (with a add-on for YouTube that I use occasionally).  Can see (on the 7" touchscreen display) and play all albums, songs, etc.on the Pi, but playlists are proving a step too far.

All the music is on a WD NAS.  I have compiled some playlists using Windows Media Player 12.0.  The playlists reference mp3 files on the NAS and the playlists reside on the NAS.

Having read on the Wiki that .wpl are no longer supported by Kodi, I exported the .wpl as .m3u files.  Both work on WMP.  I have copied the .m3u files to \\RASPBERRYPI01\Userdata\playlists\music.  I can see the playlists on the Pi but none of them play, returning an error message that broadly reads, "Playback fail.  One or more of the items failed to play.  Check the log for more detail...."

I can also see the playlists on the NAS via the files option on the Pi.  Only one plays.  It is a .wpl file referencing six tracks.  The others reference from 31 to 116 tracks.  Some show a "Scanning media files" message when initially selected, but they all return the , "Playback fail" error message.

Now completely stumped.  Advice please.  I really don't want to have to compile the playlists in Kodi itself.

You need to add/edit your advancedsettings.xml file and add a 'path substituation'. Windows folder/file paths are not same as Linux. You can find the info in the Kodi Wiki under Advanced Settings. There's also some info and example in the Music Media Helper thread here. The PDF file linked shows how I do m3u files with LibreElec.

Edit: Link here to Wiki: http://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution
(2017-12-01, 05:14)HomerJau Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-01, 02:08)RoberD21 Wrote: [ -> ]New to this whole thing.  Have read the wiki but getting nowhere fast on a playlist problem I am experiencing.  Might just be being a bit thick / failing to understand.

You need to add/edit your advancedsettings.xml file and add a 'path substituation'. Windows folder/file paths are not same as Linux. You can find the info in the Kodi Wiki under Advanced Settings. There's also some info and example in the Music Media Helper thread here. The PDF file linked shows how I do m3u files with LibreElec.

Edit: Link here to Wiki: http://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution 
Thanks.  I'll take a look. I still don't understand why the one playlist (.wpl file in the same location as the others) works quite happliy, and all the others die.