Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio library doesn't update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Until recently audio library update has worked fine and new albums could be scanned into my library. Lately I copied some new albums onto my media center and did a library update but they weren't shown. I did the update multiple times with no effect. I ensured the files were on the physical drive and when I searched them by a folder browse I could play them back. How can the update function be fixed? I even erased the file tags in suspicion that they could be erroneous but this had no effect either.

I added another album together with a problematic one. The new album could be scanned but the one which couldn't before still can't be added. It's an album of mp3s. What makes kodi ignore those??
More details needed...
What verson of Kodi?
Anything remarkable about where on the music source(s) the music files are located?
What format of music files?
Quote:I even erased the file tags in suspicion that they could be erroneous but this had no effect either.
No tags means that the files definitely will not be added to the library.

And of course you could provide a debug log from trying library update.
(2017-12-02, 21:06)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]More details needed...
What verson of Kodi?
Anything remarkable about where on the music source(s) the music files are located?
What format of music files?
Quote:I even erased the file tags in suspicion that they could be erroneous but this had no effect either.
No tags means that the files definitely will not be added to the library.

And of course you could provide a debug log from trying library update.

Hi
Nothing extraordinary at all. I wrote the tags anew but this didnt help. Two albums cant be added, one of them being mp3, the other flac. They are both saved in the same structure like all the other music albums. Root cotains artist\year - album\single music files. At first I suspected an illegal character but with two albums it is highly unlikely.

If you have no further ideas i guess i will have to create a log
Yes, create the log. You won't receive any meaningful assistance without it.

You will need to provide a debug log. The instructions are in my signature. Use the Basic method. Once you have enabled debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging, restart Kodi then replicate the problem. In your case, re-scrape your albums. Once done upload to pastebin and link back here. Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
(2017-12-02, 23:35)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, create the log. You won't receive any meaningful assistance without it.

You will need to provide a debug log. The instructions are in my signature. Use the Basic method. Once you have enabled debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging, restart Kodi then replicate the problem. In your case, re-scrape your albums. Once done upload to pastebin and link back here. Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs

Kodi is running headless and i will have to connect peripherals before i can provide a log.

In the meantime this may be a hint. I viewed the log on screen with an addon and the albums that dont get added arent even in the log. When i browsed the folders from a remote i noticed that they appear differently. While all the 'normal' show only the album name, the problematic ones are shown like this: yyyy - album name. Its strange because all albums are stored on disc in the folder naming year - album name but apparently the year isnt shown if the albums are in the library.
More details about the specific albums and folder paths please. I need that even more than seeing the log. Kodi will take folders with a name starting with "." as hidden and skips scanning them. Is that the issue?
Quote:Its strange because all albums are stored on disc in the folder naming year - album name but apparently the year isnt shown if the albums are in the library.
That is normal, Kodi uses tags not filenames to determine album title and year. It is showing the title from the tags for those items that are in the library, and just the folder name (inc year etc.) for those that are not. So I don't think that tells us anything.
I don't know how to do this better than copy an extract from a directory listing, showing two files that work and two files that do not.
The directories Bjorn and Kyles don't get added

Code:
Name                                               Size           Date       Time  Attri
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
d:\Music\Bjørn Riis\
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<2017 - Forever Comes To An End>                            <DIR> 2017-11-11 18:46 -----
d:\Music\Bjørn Riis\2017 - Forever Comes To An End\
Bjørn Riis - 01 - Forever Comes To An End.flac         57 231 796 2017-11-11 18:45 -a---
d:\Music\Black Comedy\
<2008 - Instigator>                                         <DIR> 2013-09-13 18:33 -----
d:\Music\Black Comedy\2008 - Instigator\
Black Comedy - 01 - The Emergence (Intro).flac         17 007 388 2011-10-09 11:07 -a---
d:\Music\KT Tunstall\ 
<2007 - Drastic Fantastic>                                  <DIR> 2013-09-13 19:58 -----
d:\Music\KT Tunstall\2007 - Drastic Fantastic\
KT Tunstall - 01 - Little Favours.flac                 25 514 261 2011-08-06 15:13 -a---
d:\Music\Kyles Tolone\
<2017 - Of Lovers & Ghosts>                                 <DIR> 2017-12-02 18:43 -----
d:\Music\Kyles Tolone\2017 - Of Lovers & Ghosts\
Kyles Tolone - 01 - World Outside.mp3                   7 542 379 2017-12-02 18:43 -a---
I can't see any path naming  issues there, and going to assume that d:\Music has been added as the music source.

So need to see the debug log of running library update (that will also tell me what version of Kodi). It should show the scanner checking the folder tree, so at what point it skips if it does.

Next will be to look at the tagging of those files it is not adding to the library, the tags are everything for library entries.
(2017-12-03, 19:14)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]I can't see any path naming  issues there, and going to assume that d:\Music has been added as the music source.

So need to see the debug log of running library update (that will also tell me what version of Kodi). It should show the scanner checking the folder tree, so at what point it skips if it does.

Next will be to look at the tagging of those files it is not adding to the library, the tags are everything for library entries.
 Ok, here is a link to pastebin. d:\music is the root folder where all the albums are stored in. I didn't even find the missing albums in the log but please see for yourself.
@foo-on-air

That log is no good. Please post a FULL log.

You say that your albums are in d:\music, but your log shows them to be e:\music
The truncated log is enough in this instance (but in principle the team like the whole thing, because users so often skip the bit you need).

Running Kodi 17.3, you may like to update to 17.6 (but I don't think it is relevent to your issue).

Kodi is looking at "E:\Music", but you talk here about and show the missing albums in directory on "D:\", so unless that is a typo the issue is that you have more than one drive and have not put the new music on the one Kodi is looking at.
(2017-12-05, 10:03)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]The truncated log is enough in this instance (but in principle the team like the whole thing, because users so often skip the bit you need).

Running Kodi 17.3, you may like to update to 17.6 (but I don't think it is relevent to your issue).

Kodi is looking at "E:\Music", but you talk here about and show the missing albums in directory on "D:\", so unless that is a typo the issue is that you have more than one drive and have not put the new music on the one Kodi is looking at.
I cut out the long unimportant parts about hardware specs (like resolutions) and a lot of albums (you don't want to go rough 1500 albums!). The different drive letters have nothing to do with the issue. They are all in the same folder, being e:\music. I may have mixed it up with my desktop but the point is the root for the albums is on either machine one single folder
In the Kodi Music -> Files view can you navigate to the folders containing the albums, then list the contents and play the files, perhaps this is what you meant by

(2017-12-02, 20:56)foo-on-air Wrote: [ -> ]when I searched them by a folder browse I could play them back.

but it was not clear to me whether this was done inside Kodi or from outside using the Windows Explorer file manager.
it was done indirectly inside kodi ;-) by the folder browse option on the kodi remote app. from there the file will play. 

does anybody have any idea what the issue is? after digging through the log and reading the error description? i still have no idea how to fix this and why kodi doesn't see those files.
I have no idea why Kodi library scanning is not seeing not just those files, but even the folders they are in. An attribute of the folder, or something in the folder? It is very, very weird.

Browsing folders on a remote app is a totally different route, and I'm not sure what that tells us. Actually, have you been using Kodi UI at any point, or is everything you have reported from using the remote? Which remote app or web interface are you using? How are you triggering the library scan?

More importantly what does Kodi show via File view? Running headless you are not going to see that, and what happens via remote using JSON API is different, so have to attach a monitor if you can.
Pages: 1 2