Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Colour Gradients on Films
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running Kodi 17.6 on a Windows 10 machine connected to a Panny DX902. When I watch movies from MKV files I get gradients of colour on the screen in certain scenes. However if I play the bluray of the same film the gradients of colour are not visible.

I have everything set to full RGB, the TV, Windows and the HTPC. I've tried limited RGB, but get the same result. What could be limiting the colour range?
Hello @Garry74

Look at the size of the BluRay file. It is probably 20-30GB. Now look at the size of your mkv file. I'll guess it is about 5GB? Consider all the information that has been discarded during the rip to get it to that smaller size. So it is no surprise that the picture quality is worse.
I often transcode larger (huge) files to .mkv.
There’s always to some extend the effect you described. That’s the downside of compressing sources, not much to be done about it (aside from storing the original files).
(2017-12-03, 13:02)Atreyu Wrote: [ -> ]I often transcode larger (huge) files to .mkv.
There’s always to some extend the effect you described. That’s the downside of compressing sources, not much to be done about it (aside from storing the original files).
 I never compress them. I use makemkv. The file is 25GB.
(2017-12-03, 14:42)Garry74 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-03, 13:02)Atreyu Wrote: [ -> ]I often transcode larger (huge) files to .mkv.
 I never compress them. I use makemkv. The file is 25GB. 
In that case it it's not compression messing with the quality.
You already checked the color settings (full/limited variants) so the only other thing i can think of is drivers or driversettings.