Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Forum newbie screaming for help - please!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am very new to Kodi and have only been using it (or trying to) for about three weeks.  I have several Ad-Ons and I am trying to add several more.  I am slowly becoming a little proficient with the rather complicated process but I am having a little trouble.

More often then not, when I try to install an Add-On I get through all of the steps and when I come to the final install from repository  It returns a notice saying that it has, "...failed to install a dependency."  I have no idea what a dependency is or how to correct this problem.  Can these dependencies be found somewhere so I can download what I need?  Is there a better way to install these Add-Ons that will keep me from getting these notices?  Am I doing something wrong?  I am only following step-by-step instructions and if I were doing something wrong I have no idea what it may be.

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.  This is my first time posting on this forum.  If I have posted in the wrong area I am truly sorry.  I felt that if I was wrong somebody would surely direct me to the appropriate are/place.
@mariaelisakevin

You never responded to my last post. I'll assume you saw it and move it.

Start off by telling us which add-ons you are trying to install. That way we can try to figure out which dependency is failing.

I hope you read the links I provided in my last post.
Hello
Maybe you can help how do I post a question
Thanks
Hello @Mexico,

Sure. Funnily enough, you just did. But I assume you mean in your very own thread.

Have a read of this. I wrote it earlier for the person in the first post. Click on the link --->>> https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2675589
(2017-12-05, 07:04)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]@mariaelisakevin

You never responded to my last post. I'll assume you saw it and move it.

Start off by telling us which add-ons you are trying to install. That way we can try to figure out which dependency is failing.

I hope you read the links I provided in my last post.
Please accept my apologies for not responding to your first attempt.  I just found out (today, this very minute) how to find my post.  I had hoped that I would receive some type of notice when a response was made to my post(s).  I kept wondering if anybody was going to respond and decided to start looking.  Please understand.  I took two computer courses in college in 1971.  At that time personal computers did not exist.  Input was mostly with punch cards.  I have a computer on my desk at home and have taught myself MSWord.  There you have the extent of my computer knowledge.  I am almost computer illiterate.

In answer to your question, there are several Add-Ons that I have had trouble with.  I can't remember all of them but the few that I can remember are:  Monster Munch, GoodFellas 2.0, Sports World, and Maverick TV.

I have done a tiny bit of research to help me learn Kodi.  I found a list of the 20 best Add-Ons when I first began and started from there.  I go onto the web and Google, "Add (whatever) to Kodi."  I started by using the step-by-step instructions and have progressed to the point that I just find the URL and pug it into the procedure that I use.

The error message, "...failed to install a dependency."  has stopped me in my tracks several times.  At first I just decided that I couldn't install those Add-Ons and went on about my business.  Now I figure that maybe there is something that can be done and tried this forum.  I almost gave up several times.  It has been a long journey trying to find out how to use this forum.
You are using pirate addons to steal paid content. You wont receive any help here.
(2017-12-05, 19:16)thesuffering Wrote: [ -> ]You are using pirate addons to steal paid content. You wont receive any help here.
Yes, you are correct.  A few minutes after that post I discovered that several of the add-ons have been black listed.  Does that mean that whenever I get the message that a dependency failed to install that I have tried to install a black listed add-on?  Is this a method that I can use to determine if an add-on is bad = black listed?  Or, conversely can a "good" add-on have a problem that will cause it to return a dependency message and fail to install?

The reason I ask this line of questions is I am learning and want to learn correctly.  I do not want pirate add-ons and if I discover that I am trying to install one I will definitely stop and get rid of it.  However, if an add-on is good then I want it.  If a good add-on can possibly show that a dependency has failed to install then I would like very much to learn how to correct the problem.  If you inform me that only bad add-ons will show this problem then I will quit chasing this line of inquiry.

Can someone help me?
Being a banned addon (wiki) had nothing to do with dependencies.

Basically many (indeed most) add-ons need other addons to also be installed to work (they are the original addons dependencies), and if they are not then the original one won't work.

There are two ways you can install an add-on - from a repository (aka a repo) or from a zip file. The zip file will usually just contain that single addon, as a one off and without any dependencies. A repo on the other hand is a more centralised library of addons, which can be updated by the author/maintainer and can contain multiple addons. This a repo will usually also contain all the dependency addons that addons in it may require (a "one stop shop") and if you install the add-on then all the dependencies will also be installed as well.

If you install from a zip file however then it's up to you to also locate any required dependencies that aren't available to your machine (already installed or in repos you may have installed) and install those too. Otherwise you'll get the errors that you're seeing.

I'd urge you to read through the list linked above, and also this blog . But above all think and apply a little common sense to what you install and where you get it from. Would you let a dodgy guy offering stuff that's too good to be true into your house? If not then why let a dodgy third party addon offering you premium stuff for free onto your Kodi device?
(2017-12-05, 21:11)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Being a banned addon (wiki) had nothing to do with dependencies.

Basically many (indeed most) add-ons need other addons to also be installed to work (they are the original addons dependencies), and if they are not then the original one won't work.

There are two ways you can install an add-on - from a repository (aka a repo) or from a zip file. The zip file will usually just contain that single addon, as a one off and without any dependencies. A repo on the other hand is a more centralised library of addons, which can be updated by the author/maintainer and can contain multiple addons. This a repo will usually also contain all the dependency addons that addons in it may require (a "one stop shop") and if you install the add-on then all the dependencies will also be installed as well.

If you install from a zip file however then it's up to you to also locate any required dependencies that aren't available to your machine (already installed or in repos you may have installed) and install those too. Otherwise you'll get the errors that you're seeing.

I'd urge you to read through the list linked above, and also this blog . But above all think and apply a little common sense to what you install and where you get it from. Would you let a dodgy guy offering stuff that's too good to be true into your house? If not then why let a dodgy third party addon offering you premium stuff for free onto your Kodi device?
I guess I am missing something.  ALL, yes all add-ons look the same before installing them.  I cannot tell if an add-on is "dodgy".  You say use common sense but I  posit that the sense is NOT common at all.  I thought I was clear in asking for a method to tell if an add-on was not good.  Instead all I got was arrogant insults.

I am oh so very sorry that I was not born with the knowledge that you seem to feel is common.  Even though I only heard of Kodi 3 seeks ago I guess the knowledge of how to use and what to install should have been inherent and for that lack I profusely apologize.  I also apologize that I learned that pirate add-ons even existed this morning.  Oh, woe is me.  I have been so sheltered all of my life.

This morning I received a post from Karellen and one of the first things she said was that the people here are friendly.  I have yet to be exposed to the friendliness.  Directly after Karellen's post I received a post from The Suffering telling me that I would not be receiving any help here and then your disdainful insulting manner.

Let me ask you a very important question.  Were you born with the knowledge that you seem to feel is so common or did you have to, at some point do as I am futily trying to do, learn it?  Do you think it is possible for you and the other mean spirited members of this forum to help me learn?  That is why I came here in the first place.
Hello @mariaelisakevin

There are no arrogant insults. Sorry that you interpreted the posts that way. It is not the intention. We are only trying to convey information to you and advise you what is permissible on this forum. Please take heed of the quote in your signature Smile

No, we weren't all born with the knowledge of the Universe. We learnt it. And it is impossible to know everything. I still learn things on this forum every day.

Let me make an analogy....

You have a Windows computer. You then go out and purchase Adobe Photoshop and load it on your Windows computer. You can't get Photoshop to work. You have no idea what to do. So you decide to contact Microsoft for assistance. They then tell you it has nothing to do with them as it is not a Microsoft product and you should contact Adobe for help.

That is exactly what is happening here. Kodi is the software that plays media. All the other add-ons you are adding from other sites have nothing to do with us, so you need to be seeking assistance from the site where you downloaded it from.

The rule of thumb would be this (and there are exceptions)
1. If you install from the Official Kodi repository, it is ok to discuss here on the forum
2. If there is a thread in the forum that links to an add-on, then it is ok to discuss here in the forum
3. If you are watching youtube videos, or reading articles like "Best Kodi add-ons", then there is a 99.9% chance they are banned here.

We are here to assist where possible, and educate when the Forum Rules (wiki) are broken. Sometimes the education process does not work on people and they become upset and insulting, so we end up having to remove them from the forum. That is an absolutely last resort.

Why not have a read of some of the posts in the Garbage Bin forum here... https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=18 After reading a few posts you will understand what is and is not allowed Smile
I'm wondering quite how you interpreted what is basically a post giving you information as being insulting? Or is it just the common sense point? You asked a question, which I answered and them explained the background a little.

We get a lot of people here who claim all innocence and "I didn't know" when we point out the legitimacy (or lack of it) in the addons that they are trying to use. But for some reason the fact that they are trying to view for free TV channels that via normal (legitimate and legal) means they would have to pay for, or for free on their devices movies that are still in theatres and your have to buy tickets for, and they see nothing wrong with this? If I was in the pub offering you such things on DVD would you buy them and believe they were legitimate? The situation is no different for being on the internet, but somehow common sense goes out the window.

I tried to educate you, but with your attitude yes I'm going to be unfriendly and not bother any more. But yes, I would damn well hope you are born with some common sense...
(2017-12-05, 22:59)mariaelisakevin Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I am missing something.  ALL, yes all add-ons look the same before installing them.  I cannot tell if an add-on is "dodgy".  You say use common sense but I  posit that the sense is NOT common at all.
Common sense tells you that any addon offering you "Free TV & Movies" which you would otherwise have to pay for is 'dodgy', and won't be discussed on the official forums. It's like a bloke down the pub offering you cheap DVD's, common sense tells you they're not legit. You just need to use the same logic.

I'd suggest you just stick to addons direct from the Kodi repo, chances are 99% of anything else you use will be banned.

EDIT - Seems I was too slow Smile
(2017-12-05, 20:41)mariaelisakevin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-05, 19:16)thesuffering Wrote: [ -> ]You are using pirate addons to steal paid content. You wont receive any help here.
Yes, you are correct.  A few minutes after that post I discovered that several of the add-ons have been black listed.  Does that mean that whenever I get the message that a dependency failed to install that I have tried to install a black listed add-on?  Is this a method that I can use to determine if an add-on is bad = black listed?  Or, conversely can a "good" add-on have a problem that will cause it to return a dependency message and fail to install?

The reason I ask this line of questions is I am learning and want to learn correctly.  I do not want pirate add-ons and if I discover that I am trying to install one I will definitely stop and get rid of it.  However, if an add-on is good then I want it.  If a good add-on can possibly show that a dependency has failed to install then I would like very much to learn how to correct the problem.  If you inform me that only bad add-ons will show this problem then I will quit chasing this line of inquiry.

Can someone help me? 

(2017-12-05, 23:16)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]I'm wondering quite how you interpreted what is basically a post giving you information as being insulting? Or is it just the common sense point? You asked a question, which I answered and them explained the background a little.

We get a lot of people here who claim all innocence and "I didn't know" when we point out the legitimacy (or lack of it) in the addons that they are trying to use. But for some reason the fact that they are trying to view for free TV channels that via normal (legitimate and legal) means they would have to pay for, or for free on their devices movies that are still in theatres and your have to buy tickets for, and they see nothing wrong with this? If I was in the pub offering you such things on DVD would you buy them and believe they were legitimate? The situation is no different for being on the internet, but somehow common sense goes out the window.

I tried to educate you, but with your attitude yes I'm going to be unfriendly and not bother any more. But yes, I would damn well hope you are born with some common sense...
In my posts I was very careful to make the point that I had no idea which was a bad add-on and which was good.  I really don't know how I could have been any clearer when I asked for a method to discern good from bad.  Now I have been informed as to which is which the difference is as night and day.  However, I must adamantly proclaim that at the time I made these posts I had no idea

No, you did not attempt to answer my question but, instead, made your point about why it is wrong to use "dodgy" add-ons.  Believe it or not, I agreed with you then as I do now.  However, that was not my question.  My question was how to identify an add-on as bad.  I was not knowledgeable enough to know that add-ons can be bad for simply not being a Kodi repository add-on.  I was still clinging to the idea that there were some good add-ons provided by third parties.  How was I to know?  I had not yet been told the difference.  This is something that a person (I include myself) must be told.  It is NOT common sense.

What I took as insulting was your uncalled for parting shot that seemed to impugn my intelligence for not having the common sense that you had.  (which I still argue is not common)  You say you tried to educate me?  Okay, I can accept that but do not for one second try to say that you were unfriendly because of my attitude.  My attitude only changed when you insulted my intelligence.  I feel that any one else would do the same.  You cannot blame an attitude that was not there.

You say that you are going to be unfriendly.  I don't remember asking you to be my friend.
(2017-12-06, 05:58)mariaelisakevin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-05, 20:41)mariaelisakevin Wrote: [ -> ]

Can someone help me?  
(2017-12-05, 23:16)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]I'm wondering quite how you interpreted what is basically a post giving you information as being insulting? Or is it just the common sense point? You asked a question, which I answered and them explained the background a little.

In my posts I was very careful to make the point that I had no idea which was a bad add-on and which was good.  I really don't know how I could have been any clearer when I asked for a method to discern good from bad.  Now I have been informed as to which is which the difference is as night and day.  However, I must adamantly proclaim that at the time I made these posts I had no idea

No, you did not attempt to answer my question but, instead, made your point about why it is wrong to use "dodgy" add-ons.  Believe it or not, I agreed with you then as I do now.  However, that was not my question.  My question was how to identify an add-on as bad.  I was not knowledgeable enough to know that add-ons can be bad for simply not being a Kodi repository add-on.  I was still clinging to the idea that there were some good add-ons provided by third parties.  How was I to know?  I had not yet been told the difference.  This is something that a person (I include myself) must be told.  It is NOT common sense.

What I took as insulting was your uncalled for parting shot that seemed to impugn my intelligence for not having the common sense that you had.  (which I still argue is not common)  You say you tried to educate me?  Okay, I can accept that but do not for one second try to say that you were unfriendly because of my attitude.  My attitude only changed when you insulted my intelligence.  I feel that any one else would do the same.  You cannot blame an attitude that was not there.

You say that you are going to be unfriendly.  I don't remember asking you to be my friend. 
Now I feel that I must chastise myself.  If I make a mistake I wish to hold myself responsible.  I have done something for which I think bad thoughts of other people.  I have not completely addressed something that should have been addressed from the start.  When someone (me) discovers a list of the 20 best Kodi add-ons and has not been using Kodi long enough to know that they are probably all black listed, this person (Okay, me again) feels as if they have discovered a treasure trove of valuable "stuff".  There is no table of contents or index for any of these names.  There is nothing what-so-ever to describe what they may do.  There is no moral fairy or elf sitting on the shoulder of this person.  The natural inclination is to start adding/installing.  When this person discovers (and they may not ever discover it) that these "names" are bad and they have done something wrong it is very disappointing to say the least.
mariaelisakevin

I think that all that can be said, has been said. There is some great advice in this thread which many can learn from and understand what Kodi is about and what is allowable here.

It is time to move on. If you have any questions about using Kodi, that does not involve the use of banned add-ons, then you are welcome to start a new thread and ask a new question.

If in doubt about what can be discussed, then these are two very important articles... Banned Add-ons (wiki) and Forum Rules (wiki)

The Banned Add-ons (wiki) provides a quick reference of banned items. Please be aware it is not a complete list, more of an example, as these add-ons are being released quite often under new names.

Enjoy Kodi.

Thread Closed